By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Fable II - One of the greatest endings of all time (SPOILERS)

starcraft said:
MY DOG!!!!

What am I going to do?

I can't finish the archeologist quest GAH!!!

It's still possible, just your dog won't lead you to the direct location. If ya use the internet as a reference for exact locations, and manually use the spade. You can finish it. It sucks and its hard, but I guess thats what happens when you choose sacifice.

As for the Original post.

I highly agree, Fable 2 really does have one of the greatest endings of all time. My first play though I was evil, and thoughout lucien's monolog I had my pistol nicely aimed at his head. I choose to let him have one final word in before I finished the deed.

Then reaver killed him, my shock was truly something to behold. I gripped that controller as my jaw literally dropped. After 20 years since the time lucien shot my character and I fell to her "death", my final victory felt robbed.

Then the choice had to be made, being evil. The obvious choice was the 1 million gold coins. Yet this was not a a easy choice, your interactions with bob earlier in the game when you were on the spire. Really made you wanna pick Sacifice, so bob can live his days peacefully with Lil. Yet earlier as well, Rose and your dog died. Really making you want to pick Family. Finally, there was my evil desires to be king of albion and rule over the people with a iron fist. But as Theresa said, my family, nor the strangers who died on the spire would be around to witness my ancension to power.

Even for a evil character, the decision was difficult. I spent a good few minutes browsing between the 3 cards before choosing family.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

Around the Network

I guess I'm hasty. I pulled the trigger on Lucien as soon as I got the chance. Now I wish I would not have read this thread as it was my evil playthrough. Would have been intersting to listen to Lucien and be suprised to see Reaver pop him next time through. Reaver was apreciative of the shot though.

I found the choice to be an easy though unsatisfying one. I took the gold as I was sure It would not be an option once I do my good playthrough.

As for the ending it somewhat reminds me of Torment and thats a good thing.

Unfourtunatly for me I let the hype get to me. I was expecting more story development from Fable 2. Still all in alll a very good game. A massive improvement over the original.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

You know Twesterm, your article was great, I have also thought long and hard about the ending, but I must admit that I saw its brilliance instantly.

First, the prelude. The farm section of the game was vastly engrossing to me. Its scenery very much reminded me of the final Boss Battle in MGS3, which is a good thing, btw.

The twist, that the little box you spent the intro to the game trying to afford was ultimately, the ultimate weapon against Lucien, was magnificant.

Now, of course, the best character in the game is Reaver, without question. The now famous, and much lamented killing of Lucien by Reaver was a magnificant bit of character development, while at the same time very endearing and unexpected. Something you won't find in too many games endings.

I mean, these people would really have rather had a final boss fight where you kill the bad guy? That's just absurd. How predictable, redundant, and pointless is that usually? Remember Bioshock? The ending kept it from being the best game of all time.

What the ending did, was humanized Lucien, created an immortal character in Reaver, and brought a sense of realism to the closing storyline. It also managed to surprise and delight me at the same time. You always get the feeling in these games "I wish I could just shoot this guy" and Peter knew that we were gonna listen to every last word of Lucien, too.

Anyway, an even more interesting aspect of the ending is this:

The letter from your sister has three possible explanations, as to who the tall thin scary man is.

One, it could be Scythe, the hero from TLC. He was the first king and hero of Albion, and is immortal. He is also very thin because his blood was sucked out or something. This would mean Rose was alive.

Two, is the person is your hero from the first game. He certainly would be scary, seeing as how he used the sword of aeons against Jack of Blades(confirmed in the game), meaning he took the evil route in the first fable(or at least made the evil decision to keep the sword, which text in Fable 2 confirms), according to the canon. This would mean your sister is dead. This would also explain why she had trouble remembering his name, as the hero has no name in Fable 1. Rose would be dead in this scenerio.

Three, is it could be Jack of Blades, inhabiting the long dead corpse of your hero from the first game(after the final choice in TLC). Jack's mask would be on the hero, making him a thin, scary corpse. His obvious motive would be to regain worldly form by teaching your now living sister(if it's canon that you chose love, which it will be) the ways of a hero, and then using her body to revive his evil plans for world domination. Again, Rose would be alive and breathing, assuming it is actually Jack.

All three people know about the family and the bloodline. All are thin, and have questionable and/or multiple names. Scythe was the first archon.

Now check this, since it's canon that you killed your sister instead of destroying the Sword of Aeons, and since the guide in Fable 2 is the hero's sister from the first game(as confirmed by Peter himself) then she is simply a shell of a being, not inhabiting a true body, and those her motives become clear, as to why she needs to power of the spire, and why she revived the bloodline to obtain it, instead of easily stopping the spires original construction(which she obviously could have done, being immortal and psychic).

Two things become obvious. Theresa is immortal, and when she was struck down by her brother in Fable 1, she had forseen this and took precautions to preserve her essence. The power of the spire was greatly desired by her, for numerous reasons, the most likely of which is to preserve her own existence. It was very likely that she herself was working with a resurrected, but weakened jack of blades the whole time, and actually brought about Rose's original death, in an attempt to involve you and your blood in the scheme to take down Lucien.

whoa!

How do you get the letter from your sister and who is this tall skinny man you're talking about?  Do you only get those if you revive your sister?

And spooky answered my question about being able to shoot Lucien before Reaver.  I had the gun on his head the entire time but I wasn't going to shoot until he made a move or stopped talking.

That's one thing I liked about the game. The decisions were actually tough to make. The autosave feature sometimes pissed me off, but was essential so that there were consequences. It made you make tough decisions and it made you role-play.

One other thing about the farm. I didn't want to leave the farm. Why would my character want to leave the farm? He loved his sister and to spend eternity with her would be perfect... but no, he was driven by a much stronger force. Vengeance. I wanted to turn around when I heard my sister screaming for me to come back. It actually gripped at me a bit.

In my opinion, the story wasn't fantastic. However, it truly makes you feel involved and immerses you within the story that is in place. It has a different form of story telling that makes a big impact.

starcraft said:
MY DOG!!!!

What am I going to do?

I can't finish the archeologist quest GAH!!!

How could you!!!

HANG STARCRAFT!

Killing a doggie is the WORST CRIME EVER!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
twesterm said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

You know Twesterm, your article was great, I have also thought long and hard about the ending, but I must admit that I saw its brilliance instantly.

First, the prelude. The farm section of the game was vastly engrossing to me. Its scenery very much reminded me of the final Boss Battle in MGS3, which is a good thing, btw.

The twist, that the little box you spent the intro to the game trying to afford was ultimately, the ultimate weapon against Lucien, was magnificant.

Now, of course, the best character in the game is Reaver, without question. The now famous, and much lamented killing of Lucien by Reaver was a magnificant bit of character development, while at the same time very endearing and unexpected. Something you won't find in too many games endings.

I mean, these people would really have rather had a final boss fight where you kill the bad guy? That's just absurd. How predictable, redundant, and pointless is that usually? Remember Bioshock? The ending kept it from being the best game of all time.

What the ending did, was humanized Lucien, created an immortal character in Reaver, and brought a sense of realism to the closing storyline. It also managed to surprise and delight me at the same time. You always get the feeling in these games "I wish I could just shoot this guy" and Peter knew that we were gonna listen to every last word of Lucien, too.

The letter from your sister has three possible explanations, as to who the tall thin scary man is.

One, it could be Scythe, the hero from TLC. He was the first king and hero of Albion, and is immortal. He is also very thin because his blood was sucked out or something. This would mean Rose was alive.

Two, is the person is your hero from the first game. He certainly would be scary, seeing as how he used the sword of aeons against Jack of Blades(confirmed in the game), meaning he took the evil route in the first fable(or at least made the evil decision to keep the sword, which text in Fable 2 confirms), according to the canon. This would mean your sister is dead. This would also explain why she had trouble remembering his name, as the hero has no name in Fable 1. Rose would be dead in this scenerio.

Three, is it could be Jack of Blades, inhabiting the long dead corpse of your hero from the first game(after the final choice in TLC). Jack's mask would be on the hero, making him a thin, scary corpse. His obvious motive would be to regain worldly form by teaching your now living sister(if it's canon that you chose love, which it will be) the ways of a hero, and then using her body to revive his evil plans for world domination. Again, Rose would be alive and breathing, assuming it is actually Jack.

All three people know about the family and the bloodline. All are thin, and have questionable and/or multiple names. Scythe was the first archon.

Now check this, since it's canon that you killed your sister instead of destroying the Sword of Aeons, and since the guide in Fable 2 is the hero's sister from the first game(as confirmed by Peter himself) then she is simply a shell of a being, not inhabiting a true body, and those her motives become clear, as to why she needs to power of the spire, and why she revived the bloodline to obtain it, instead of easily stopping the spires original construction(which she obviously could have done, being immortal and psychic).

Two things become obvious. Theresa is immortal, and when she was struck down by her brother in Fable 1, she had forseen this and took precautions to preserve her essence. The power of the spire was greatly desired by her, for numerous reasons, the most likely of which is to preserve her own existence. It was very likely that she herself was working with a resurrected, but weakened jack of blades the whole time, and actually brought about Rose's original death, in an attempt to involve you and your blood in the scheme to take down Lucien.

whoa!

How do you get the letter from your sister and who is this tall skinny man you're talking about?  Do you only get those if you revive your sister?

And spooky answered my question about being able to shoot Lucien before Reaver.  I had the gun on his head the entire time but I wasn't going to shoot until he made a move or stopped talking.

I think you might only get the letter from your sister in the "love" ending. When you arrive on the beach, you pick it up mysteriously and automatically. She says she's in a lovely field with a tall skinny man who knows about your family. He's kind of scary and she can't remember his name, but he says that you two will see each other again someday, or something like that.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
twesterm said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

whoa!

I think you might only get the letter from your sister in the "love" ending. When you arrive on the beach, you pick it up mysteriously and automatically. She says she's in a lovely field with a tall skinny man who knows about your family. He's kind of scary and she can't remember his name, but he says that you two will see each other again someday, or something like that.

Ah, I was scared I completely missed a part of the game.  Yeah, if you pick the sacrifice you get a letter and statue from all of the people of Albion (which is pretty moving too).

It wasn't moving enough to make the world feel any less empty but it still got to me.

Am I the only one that thinks fable 2 story-line suck a lot .I mean the first one storyline was expect this one was week and predicable and never really got started.I was very disappointed especially wen i could of got gears of war 2

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

kopboi said:
Am I the only one that thinks fable 2 story-line suck a lot .I mean the first one storyline was expect this one was week and predicable and never really got started.I was very disappointed especially wen i could of got gears of war 2

The stories in games are rarely good and Fable 2 certainly isn't an exception. Even games like FFIV, FFVI and FFVII both have pretty cliche stories that aren't that interesting at all yet they're both up there in some of the best story games of all time.

The thing that makes Fable 2 good are the very heavy choices you have to make and the spectacular ending.

*gasp* I just noticed this isn't in makingmusic's "The Official Fable II Thread of Awesomesauce and Win" and is instead a new topic!

Nah, I kid ;)