By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Just bought another computer from trying to remove Ubuntu, I'm good.
Plus no gaming on Linux.

Around the Network

"6. It's easier to use out of the box"

Regardless of whatever virtues Linux may have, I seriously lold at this one.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

cool48 said:
Plus no gaming on Linux.

You are either uniformed or ignorant.  I bet you think there is no gaming on the Mac too?  Cedega and Crossover both work quite well.

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

Soleron said:
jedson328 said:
darklich13 said:
I like Sun Solaris better

As a desktop OS?  That boggles my mind.  Solaris 10 is a good enterprise UNIX OS, but it is not a good desktop OS.  Sun's Java Desktop (Linux) is a better alternative for desktop computing, but if you are thinking of going the Linux route then I would recommend Ubuntu.

No. They made a desktop version (OpenSolaris) with GNOME and other Linux-like features. It's free software too. They're going to do a 6-month release cycle: OpenSolaris 2008.05 was out in May and OpenSolaris 2008.11 will be released in November.

Lol, that still doesnt make Solaris a good desktop operating system.  Good for Oracle, MySQL, and Web servers, yes.  Good for desktop usage, lol, not quite.

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

jedson328 said:
cool48 said:
Plus no gaming on Linux.

You are either uniformed or ignorant.  I bet you think there is no gaming on the Mac too?  Cedega and Crossover both work quite well.

You are quite right, I hadn't realized Steam can be installed on Linux without Wine and how every game that comes out for PC also can be installed on Linux.

Around the Network
cool48 said:
jedson328 said:
cool48 said:
Plus no gaming on Linux.

You are quite right, I hadn't realized Steam can be installed on Linux without Wine and how every game that comes out for PC also can be installed on Linux.

Sounds like you are being sarcastic.  Keep in mind you said "Plus no gaming on Linux", which is obviously erronous.  Jedson's response was correct, he said "Cedega and Crossover work quite well", which it does.  Just because it cannot work with Steam (I'm not sure if it can) and cannot work with every game does not mean it does not "work quite well"

cool48 said:
jedson328 said:
cool48 said:
Plus no gaming on Linux.

Steam works quite well with WINE, there is even a Valve supported Wiki for using Steam on Linux.  You sarcasm is noted, and completely uneeded.

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

Soleron said:
twesterm said:
I tried it years ago, hated it, not going back.

Why can I still think that? I'm sure you still have opinions of Windows based off of absolutely nothing. Thank you, but I like being able to run all the programs I want to run without having to jump through 100 hoops.

And yeah, I'm pretty sick of Linux dorks that keep telling me to try Linux. They annoy me more than Tyra.

I run both Vista and Ubuntu every day. Vista is the one I'm having to jump through hoops for. Windows Update has destroyed my computer twice. My files keep disappearing. I can't print over the network because the wizard keeps freezing. My wireless driver keeps cutting out. Linux? I have none of these problems now. I've just installed Intrepid, and I have had zero problems. There was nothing there that would confuse anyone who has a clue what a computer is.

If you still don't like Linux after trying it, that's fine and I respect your opinion, but this topic is aimed at helping those people who do want to try it. "Years" is a long time in the Linux world (it's come forward so much in the 1.5 years I've used it) so don't let your opinions colour new users' ones.

I find this very confusing... as a network tech myself I've never had any of these problems on Vista at all... but every Linux user will talk about how shitty Windows is.... I like Linux it has some very cool things going on , but it's not a OS for users.  The one benefit to Linux is that it can run on a much lower spec system just as fast as Vista can on a much higher spec system.  However much of the problems that some have had with Linux has been solved with the latest kernals so it wouldn't hurt for them to give it a try.... VirtualPC is free after all.

Senlis said:
Killergran said:
Senlis said:

Well, on another thread, nobody was able/willing to argue against my argument:

Ubuntu costs 0$; Windows costs about 150$
If you try to find out how many more times expensive Windows is over Ubuntu, you come up with infinity.
Windows cannot be infinity times better than Ubuntu, therefore Ubuntu is always the better choice.

Until someone does, I'm not going to argue against/for Ubuntu

Back on topic: I do like the Ubuntu interface, not because it looks pretty, but because it is functional. You have all of you program launchers and taskbar icons at the top, and all of your currently open windows at the bottom. Plus, multiple workspaces are nice. I know that you can use a program on Windows to make multiple workspaces, but it works better if it is included in the OS.

Counter argument: First, to get Ubuntu you'll have to burn it to a DVD. Not terribly expensive, but around 1 dollar. So it is not more than 150 times more expensive.

Counter argument nr two: I got my windows for free. I have never paid for a standalone version of windows, most have come with the computer, but I actually got this version of Vista for free. And since I didn't burn it (which was a stupid mistake btw) I paid less for it than I did for Ubuntu.

If Vista came with your computer, you paid for it when you bought the computer.

As for counter argument #1: You are close to the correct answer

edit: I posted this before reading his follow up post.  It's nice you were able to get it for free, I got that too when I was in college.

Really?  When I removed Vista from my option my price didn't drop at all... but oddly if I switched to XP it did... >_<.  Please PM me a link to a good way to duel boot Vista and Linux... I keep having problems with it.

Im a big fan of the linux philosophy and I do install it every 3 years or so to see where its heading but my business is based around macs and thats not going to change. In regards to home use, sure I'll tinker or set up a server every now and then but for the actual household its just not familiar enough for the general user. No offense intended to the Linux diehards, its a great OS.