By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

@Cueil

If you install Windows first and then Linux, it should take care of the dual boot. Doing it the other way round, from what I've heard, is more complicated.
At least Debian and Ubuntu set up their multiboot by themselves for me. Ubuntu's live CD also has an option to instal Ubuntu on a virtual partition (think it's a single file under Windows) and you get the dual boot there as well.

Around the Network
Cueil said:
Senlis said:
Killergran said:
Senlis said:

Well, on another thread, nobody was able/willing to argue against my argument:

Ubuntu costs 0$; Windows costs about 150$
If you try to find out how many more times expensive Windows is over Ubuntu, you come up with infinity.
Windows cannot be infinity times better than Ubuntu, therefore Ubuntu is always the better choice.

Until someone does, I'm not going to argue against/for Ubuntu

Back on topic: I do like the Ubuntu interface, not because it looks pretty, but because it is functional. You have all of you program launchers and taskbar icons at the top, and all of your currently open windows at the bottom. Plus, multiple workspaces are nice. I know that you can use a program on Windows to make multiple workspaces, but it works better if it is included in the OS.

Counter argument: First, to get Ubuntu you'll have to burn it to a DVD. Not terribly expensive, but around 1 dollar. So it is not more than 150 times more expensive.

Counter argument nr two: I got my windows for free. I have never paid for a standalone version of windows, most have come with the computer, but I actually got this version of Vista for free. And since I didn't burn it (which was a stupid mistake btw) I paid less for it than I did for Ubuntu.

If Vista came with your computer, you paid for it when you bought the computer.

As for counter argument #1: You are close to the correct answer

edit: I posted this before reading his follow up post.  It's nice you were able to get it for free, I got that too when I was in college.

Really?  When I removed Vista from my option my price didn't drop at all... but oddly if I switched to XP it did... >_<.  Please PM me a link to a good way to duel boot Vista and Linux... I keep having problems with it.

http://apcmag.com/howto_home.htm

There you go.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Cueil said:

Really?  When I removed Vista from my option my price didn't drop at all... but oddly if I switched to XP it did... >_<.  Please PM me a link to a good way to duel boot Vista and Linux... I keep having problems with it.

http://apcmag.com/howto_home.htm

There you go.

No; there's no need. Installing Ubuntu after Windows will set up a dual-boot automatically. After installing, when you start up the computer you are presented with a menu (GRUB) that has Ubuntu and Windows on it.

And for those that have Linux first or need partition help, etc....I provided the link for it.

The rEVOLution is not being televised