By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Utaku said:
It wasn't free, the license for windows was paid with the computer.
You should be able to get the same computer for 100€ cheaper.

It wouldn't have been free if I had gotten it with my computer, no. I know that.

I did get it for free though, through a university-sponsored-thingy. Someone paid for it, yes, but not me, my friends or anyone I know. So for me it was free.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network
darklich13 said:
I like Sun Solaris better

As a desktop OS?  That boggles my mind.  Solaris 10 is a good enterprise UNIX OS, but it is not a good desktop OS.  Sun's Java Desktop (Linux) is a better alternative for desktop computing, but if you are thinking of going the Linux route then I would recommend Ubuntu.

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

No.

@ twesterm

Tyra? wot?

Switched to Ubuntu in May...never looked back.

I like telling my OS what to do instead of my OS back talking.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Killergran said:
Senlis said:

Well, on another thread, nobody was able/willing to argue against my argument:

Ubuntu costs 0$; Windows costs about 150$
If you try to find out how many more times expensive Windows is over Ubuntu, you come up with infinity.
Windows cannot be infinity times better than Ubuntu, therefore Ubuntu is always the better choice.

Until someone does, I'm not going to argue against/for Ubuntu

Back on topic: I do like the Ubuntu interface, not because it looks pretty, but because it is functional.  You have all of you program launchers and taskbar icons at the top, and all of your currently open windows at the bottom.  Plus, multiple workspaces are nice.  I know that you can use a program on Windows to make multiple workspaces, but it works better if it is included in the OS.

Counter argument: First, to get Ubuntu you'll have to burn it to a DVD. Not terribly expensive, but around 1 dollar. So it is not more than 150 times more expensive.

Counter argument nr two: I got my windows for free. I have never paid for a standalone version of windows, most have come with the computer, but I actually got this version of Vista for free. And since I didn't burn it (which was a stupid mistake btw) I paid less for it than I did for Ubuntu.

The rub for this is that the person buying the machine has to ask for Windows to NOT be included and the manufacturer has to agree for Windows to NOT be included.  Most dealers put it on my default and unless you're willing to go through 7 levels of heck and back to not have it on there then that's the way it's going to stay.

The result is that the user doesn't see Windows as a cost.  It's just there.  You're not getting Linux instead of Windows, you're getting both but only using Linux or Windows.  Telling a user that it's cheaper to use Linux when they're already running Windows on their machine will make them think you're an idiot.  It's not like you're handing them a wad of cash in exchange for taking Windows off and putting Linux on so cost is totally irrelevant.

You can shout at the sky all day long till you turn blue in the face that Linux is free but until the consumer has the choice of free or not free, it doesn't matter.

Viper1 said:
Switched to Ubuntu in May...never looked back.

I like telling my OS what to do instead of my OS back talking.

And then a bad update for HAL comes along and screws over your xorg. 

Around the Network
jedson328 said:
darklich13 said:
I like Sun Solaris better

As a desktop OS?  That boggles my mind.  Solaris 10 is a good enterprise UNIX OS, but it is not a good desktop OS.  Sun's Java Desktop (Linux) is a better alternative for desktop computing, but if you are thinking of going the Linux route then I would recommend Ubuntu.

No. They made a desktop version (OpenSolaris) with GNOME and other Linux-like features. It's free software too. They're going to do a 6-month release cycle: OpenSolaris 2008.05 was out in May and OpenSolaris 2008.11 will be released in November.

Killergran said:
Senlis said:

Well, on another thread, nobody was able/willing to argue against my argument:

Ubuntu costs 0$; Windows costs about 150$
If you try to find out how many more times expensive Windows is over Ubuntu, you come up with infinity.
Windows cannot be infinity times better than Ubuntu, therefore Ubuntu is always the better choice.

Until someone does, I'm not going to argue against/for Ubuntu

Back on topic: I do like the Ubuntu interface, not because it looks pretty, but because it is functional. You have all of you program launchers and taskbar icons at the top, and all of your currently open windows at the bottom. Plus, multiple workspaces are nice. I know that you can use a program on Windows to make multiple workspaces, but it works better if it is included in the OS.

Counter argument: First, to get Ubuntu you'll have to burn it to a DVD. Not terribly expensive, but around 1 dollar. So it is not more than 150 times more expensive.

Counter argument nr two: I got my windows for free. I have never paid for a standalone version of windows, most have come with the computer, but I actually got this version of Vista for free. And since I didn't burn it (which was a stupid mistake btw) I paid less for it than I did for Ubuntu.

If Vista came with your computer, you paid for it when you bought the computer.

As for counter argument #1: You are close to the correct answer

edit: I posted this before reading his follow up post.  It's nice you were able to get it for free, I got that too when I was in college.

I have used Kubuntu since 6.06 Dapper Drake and I have only one suggestion:
Newbies should adopt whichever distro a few weeks after release, as there could still be bugs and glitches, especially on less common HW configurations, just to avoid the risk of being discouraged early.
Anyhow, HW support gets better with each new release, 8.04 was already perfect on most notebooks and more than decent on models once troublesome, on my HP, for example, previous releases needed windows drivers and ndiswrapper to be able to use the wireless chip, while with 8.04, after upgrading the kernel to 2.6.24-19 (and newer ones) I was finally able to use native linux drivers.
Graphics drivers aren't anymore a problem also on 16:9 and 16:10 screens that before, with some GPU's, including mine, required hand installation.
So, based on my own experience, I guess 8.10 should be even easier.
This address is usefur for newbies, normal users and experts: http://ubuntuforums.org

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Those who want to try linux, just give it a try with a fresh look, it will prevent you from the "it doesn't work like windows so it's useless" effect.

Those who don't want, just don't.

I used to beg people trying, but really Linux has now enough users and developpers to evolve faster than any other OS, so if you want to stay away from it, I don't care anymore.

Most of my friends that were joking about my strange desktop some years ago are now bigger Linux advocates than I am, so now I'll let time do its job.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

I would mention about the visual effects that you can turn them off if you prefer to have a faster computer. I know someone said he dislikes flair that slows down your computer.