By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Obama drops $44k on in-game election ads

The grass-roots movement is huge for him. He gets lots and lots of small donations through his website. Those add up to big money.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
The Daily Show is awesome. I try and watch it most nights.

I think the host is stupid. His jokes are terrible. (Just my opinion)

The Daily Show stopped being funny a long time ago after Stewart decided to stop poking fun of everyone and started using the show as a platform for the Democratic party. It saddens me to see two of my favorite shows (Colbert included) turn into shallow, partisan versions of their former greatness.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
The Daily Show stopped being funny a long time ago after Stewart decided to stop poking fun of everyone and started using the show as a platform for the Democratic party. It saddens me to see two of my favorite shows (Colbert included) turn into shallow, partisan versions of their former greatness.

Yeah, i stopped watching when that happened.

They started out pretty strong... but after a while they're obama jokes were just "People think he's jesus".

It's going to be even worse when Obama is president.  Obama's president, democratic congress... what's left to make fun of now?

So you stopped watching when Bush became President?

The show has gone a bit to the left now that the election is coming down to the wire, but I expect it will shift back once the election is over.

Stewart is as funny as ever.

The Colbert Report has always been about making fun of the right wing news shows on Fox, like O'Reilly and Hannity. It hasn't changed one bit.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

Around the Network
theRepublic said:

The show has gone a bit to the left now that the election is coming down to the wire, but I expect it will shift back once the election is over.

The Colbert Report has always been about making fun of the right wing news shows on Fox, like O'Reilly and Hannity. It hasn't changed one bit.

Bull. Once upon a time, Stewart would call out the Dems nearly as often as he did the Republicans. I don't need 100% balance, just an attempt to make fun of everyone. Right now, it's about 90/10 in the few episodes I have forced myself to watch.

Colbert was a great character. He made fun of Republicans by so overreaching his points about Democrats that he ended up slamming both at the same time. It was genius.

Have you watched his show lately? That character is gone. He doesn't even try to insult Democrats anymore. He just goes straight for the Republican party, which makes his spoof of Fox News pointless and not funny. You can't parody something unless you actually try to imitate it in some way. He doesn't. Sad.

I know several people in my circle of friends who won't watch either show any more, and some of us used to watch both on a regular basis. The best part? Not a single one of us is a registered Republican. That says a lot about how biased they have become.

Yes I have watched Colbert from the beginning of the show.  It has not changed.

I am also an independant voter.

Now Playing

rocketpig said:
theRepublic said:

Bull. Once upon a time, Stewart would call out the Dems nearly as often as he did the Republicans. I don't need 100% balance, just an attempt to make fun of everyone. Right now, it's about 90/10 in the few episodes I have forced myself to watch.

Colbert was a great character. He made fun of Republicans by so overreaching his points about Democrats that he ended up slamming both at the same time. It was genius.

Have you watched his show lately? That character is gone. He doesn't even try to insult Democrats anymore. He just goes straight for the Republican party, which makes his spoof of Fox News pointless and not funny. You can't parody something unless you actually try to imitate it in some way. He doesn't. Sad.

I know several people in my circle of friends who won't watch either show any more, and some of us used to watch both on a regular basis. The best part? Not a single one of us is a registered Republican. That says a lot about how biased they have become.

The highlighted is just wrong.

Now Playing

theRepublic said:
rocketpig said:
theRepublic said:

The highlighted is just wrong.

What?

If you say so.

I think somebody missed part of the joke in Colbert's original routine...

This $44k may not be a ton of money in the grand scheme of things, but it's INCREDIBLY well-spent. Think about it--millions of people play these games. Let's say 20 million people play those games online.

Half of XBL gamers are probably underage to vote, and likely only about 60% of those remaining are from the USA, so that would be six million potential voters that would see these ads.

Assuming all of these voters were to vote for Obama after seeing the ads, that would be six million votes for .73 cents each.

Now, think about all the gamers outside of XBL that simply hear this news--here's a politician in the highest possible position that isn't going to go after games. In fact, he'll be supporting them. That's an untold number of votes right there, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if that got him another 1.5-2 million.

And all that just for $44k.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."