By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft previews Windows 7 UI (Vista 2.0)

This looks like shit!

FFS when are MS going to move away from this "fruity" rubbish!

I prefer the Vista look over XP but now they seem to be going for that "Bowl of fruit" on your screen thing again....

Around the Network
joora said:
Is W7 a fully 64bit OS with 32-bit aplications emulation or is it same as Vista?

If it's 64bit i'm moving on it the moment it gets out (or after SP1 if it proves to be really buggy)

Also hope it's skinnable - MS is going in right direction, but those gadgets look fugly, and window design also isn't my cup of tea.

There will be a 32-bit and 64-bit version of Windows 7. Their primary goal is to preserve compatibility to avoid a Vista-like disaster, so major application and library rewrites to take advantage of 64-bit are not going to happen. If you want a real 64-bit OS, use OS X 10.6 or Linux or BSD.

It's not going to be fully skinnable, becuse they are making a big deal out of how you can now apply your system colour (windows border preference) to maximised windows. That's so trivial and useless that they wouldn't mention it if real skins were a big feature. Again, if you want real custom themes, use an open-source OS. Look at those KDE4 screenshots epsilon posted - MS has obviously copied (and ruined) KDE's widget and desktop ideas.

ssj12 said:
ymeaga1n said:
ssj12 said:
thank you M$ for another OS no one will give a damn about because it looks like crap and probably works like crap too.

Care to elaborate on your OPINION. Or should we just take it as a opinion of a bitter anti-"m$" lunatic? I frankly do give a damn about it. As are the 90% of people in the future that are likely to be using the OS.

It looks better than any previous windows. And if you had actually done some research on it rather than just judging it from the pictures you would know the new taskbar is way more useful.

ok

1. This OS will obviously be a resource hog like Vista. This will make it so that most general PC buyers wont get proper performance off a PC purchased at WalMart or any other supplier for under $500.

1a. This was also an issue for businesses with Vista due to the fact they had to buy new PCs.

2. Just like Vista the PC users who have an understanding will only upgrade if there is an obvious need to move up or if software available for the platform is good like XP's.

3. Will it have as many issues as Vista. While this remains to be seen, Vista was well known to have hardware and software compatibility issues due to Microsoft's inability to push out proper programming SKUs for developers even after launch.

4. Visually the GUI is not appealing as say XP is. Looking at it you see many shape edges and boxes that makes things look uninviting to use.

5. While Microsoft is adding new features, stolen yet again from Apple, the general PC users from both XP and Vista will have to relearn the operating system's features due to the fact that the OS's friendliness is lowered another notch for each new feature added.

^^agree

Why will 90% of people pay US$200+  to get something that is not that much better?Vista did not sell, the average consumer does not wants the pretties UI, but the one they undertand the most.

Also vista is ugly compared to stalish user interfaces like gnome and mac. Vista copies from mac US.

You need more thatn DX 10 to make a company buy 5,000 lincenses and upgrade all tha hardware.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

I wish they would transition to a functionally looking interface, not something that looks like its made for visually impaired people.

I have a good feeling I'll still be sticking with XP for a while. Unless this build is like the original Vista builds (XP with an added sidebar, i.e. Longhorn).

radha said:
ssj12 said:
ymeaga1n said:
ssj12 said:
thank you M$ for another OS no one will give a damn about because it looks like crap and probably works like crap too.

Care to elaborate on your OPINION. Or should we just take it as a opinion of a bitter anti-"m$" lunatic? I frankly do give a damn about it. As are the 90% of people in the future that are likely to be using the OS.

It looks better than any previous windows. And if you had actually done some research on it rather than just judging it from the pictures you would know the new taskbar is way more useful.

ok

1. This OS will obviously be a resource hog like Vista. This will make it so that most general PC buyers wont get proper performance off a PC purchased at WalMart or any other supplier for under $500.

1a. This was also an issue for businesses with Vista due to the fact they had to buy new PCs.

2. Just like Vista the PC users who have an understanding will only upgrade if there is an obvious need to move up or if software available for the platform is good like XP's.

3. Will it have as many issues as Vista. While this remains to be seen, Vista was well known to have hardware and software compatibility issues due to Microsoft's inability to push out proper programming SKUs for developers even after launch.

4. Visually the GUI is not appealing as say XP is. Looking at it you see many shape edges and boxes that makes things look uninviting to use.

5. While Microsoft is adding new features, stolen yet again from Apple, the general PC users from both XP and Vista will have to relearn the operating system's features due to the fact that the OS's friendliness is lowered another notch for each new feature added.

^^agree

Why will 90% of people pay US$200+  to get something that is not that much better?Vista did not sell, the average consumer does not wants the pretties UI, but the one they undertand the most.

Also vista is ugly compared to stalish user interfaces like gnome and mac. Vista copies from mac US.

You need more thatn DX 10 to make a company buy 5,000 lincenses and upgrade all tha hardware.

Squilliam addressed ssj with all I could say. But you are very funny. Did you just mention a $200+ dollar update for something that isn't that much better AND mac in the same breath? You can't even keep the same argument throughout your 70 word reply.

First consumers don't care about pretty UI. Then, they care about macs and gnomes UI.

Around the Network

Why fix it if it ain't broke (XP) ? , to make hundreds of millions thats why.

It looks too much like Apple's OS. I think I will stick with XP for a while longer.

Question: Is Vista backward compatible to XP? I have a lot of PC games that I have not finished and would like to complete them.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

patjuan32 said:

Question: Is Vista backward compatible to XP? I have a lot of PC games that I have not finished and would like to complete them.

In most cases, yes. The only way to tell is to look up each game individually though.

Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
ymeaga1n said:
ssj12 said:

ok

Was demonstrated running on a netbook with 1gb of ram with only 512 in usage. Worked great.

It comes with the PC, old one gets slow so buy a new one with this preinstalled. Microsoft can't invent a need for people to upgrade.

It will work with Vista drivers, and they are hard at work ensuring compatibility.

Subjective.

Most users will find the I.E and mail icons where they left them last.

@ Epsilon, I know you wanna give up the free "crap" and go with the number 1 OS maker in the world by volume of sales!!!!

JKJKJKJK Btw hows the Linux/games thing going?

If your not paid by MS to be so biased then I feel sorry for you man.

Million said:
Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:

ok

Was demonstrated running on a netbook with 1gb of ram with only 512 in usage. Worked great.

It comes with the PC, old one gets slow so buy a new one with this preinstalled. Microsoft can't invent a need for people to upgrade.

It will work with Vista drivers, and they are hard at work ensuring compatibility.

Subjective.

Most users will find the I.E and mail icons where they left them last.

If your not paid by MS to be so biased then I feel sorry for you man.

Biased? Its true that the PS3 is better than the Xbox 360 in every way, but because im biased that means the truth is the exact opposite of what I say.

Seriously now: How are my comments biased exactly?

Tease.