By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft previews Windows 7 UI (Vista 2.0)

Squilliam said:

@ Epsilon, I know you wanna give up the free "crap" and go with the number 1 OS maker in the world by volume of sales!!!!

JKJKJKJK Btw hows the Linux/games thing going?

bwahahaha *slowly pulls out grenade launcher*

Linux..gaming....uh heheh, well, still waiting for that Opengl port of the source engine!

Until then there's...UT2k4...and Enemy Territory....and UT2k4..yeah..

Around the Network

Windows 7 will have to be amazingly good to convince me to buy a 200+ dollar operating system when linux is free and works well. The lack of support for linux notwithstanding.

BTW: someone correlated hating macs with loving gaming. I would like to mention that you can play most Windows games on Mac if you have the right program. You can do the same thing on Linux, but it takes more work to set up.

Senlis said:
  I would like to mention that you can play most Windows games on Mac if you have the right program. You can do the same thing on Linux, but it takes more work to set up.

No it doesn't. Wine (CrossOver, Cedega, whatever) for Linux basically consists of:

1. Install Wine like any other program.

2. Click on setup.exe for whatever game you want and act like it's Windows. If it works, it'll work perfectly.

epsilon72 said:
^Well....they did say that Windows Vista would be all that and a bag of skittles too...I'll wait until release before declaring it worthwhile.

You're tempted! Admit it or live with your shame...

Tease.

Soleron said:
Senlis said:
  I would like to mention that you can play most Windows games on Mac if you have the right program. You can do the same thing on Linux, but it takes more work to set up.

No it doesn't. Wine (CrossOver, Cedega, whatever) for Linux basically consists of:

1. Install Wine like any other program.

2. Click on setup.exe for whatever game you want and act like it's Windows. If it works, it'll work perfectly.

I have bad luck with Wine.  A lot apps will install but die later on due to something stupid like sound errors. -_-'

Around the Network

They just made it look prettier.

Does anyone else see it as a OSX ripoff? It has a VERY similar look to it.

Shame it'll probably be absolutely no good as an OS for gamers. DX10 is a joke, Vista murders game performance even on exceptional machines.

I really like the look of Windows 7 as well, but if it has the same underlying technology as Vista, I probably won't touch it with a bargepole...

rendo said:

I think the fact that Apple is well-known for certain things leads people to believe that they created them.  How strange.

MrMarc said:
Shame it'll probably be absolutely no good as an OS for gamers. DX10 is a joke, Vista murders game performance even on exceptional machines.

I really like the look of Windows 7 as well, but if it has the same underlying technology as Vista, I probably won't touch it with a bargepole...

And we have yet another shining example of "I didn't read the thread but let me open my mouth anyway."

Words Of Wisdom said:
rendo said:

I think the fact that Apple is well-known for certain things leads people to believe that they created them.  How strange.

I never stated they created anything. To me it looks like a physical "copy" of what MACs, TO ME, are known for.  How strange.