By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft previews Windows 7 UI (Vista 2.0)

The Win7 kernel uses less RAM than Vista so gaming is improved as well as boot.

Around the Network

so, is this just a vista update? or do you have to buy a whole nother OS?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

epsilon72 said:

Squilliam said:

You're tempted! Admit it or live with your shame...

but..but..but linux! She's been so good to me

(alright I am tempted...but only as a gaming OS!)

Im tempted by your kitty, at least we're even now!

BTW since I think you own a PS3 I order you to add me to PSN right nAo!

@SSJ

Have you been using Vista, it runs fine but I think im starting to apreciate XP more and more for its leanness now that I've been forced to switch between them a lot.

My main issues are the sharing centre *which is absolutely confusing* and the UI issues with responsiveness sometimes on wierd occasions it can take longer to respond and yet when loaded up its a much more responsive system than XP ever was.

Tease.

Hmm....it is no fun to post something if nobody knows how to argue against it.  

Strategyking92 said:
so, is this just a vista update? or do you have to buy a whole nother OS?

It is akin to the 98 to 98 SE process.  It is the way Vista is supposed to be to put it lightly.

Around the Network

I'm quite happy that I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my laptop with 4 GBs of RAM. With Ultimate on a 64-bit processor(s; I have 2 processors of 64-bit), you can upgrade your PC to nearly 128 GBs of RAM. Yes, one-hundred and twenty-eight gigabytes of RAM.

I wonder if you have to purchase the 'upgrade' to Windows 7 Ultimate separately...should have something that converts your current OS to the Windows 7 OS relating to your previous one. Such as me having Ultimate already, I could upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate without buying the expensive version...

Naraku_Diabolos said:

I'm quite happy that I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my laptop with 4 GBs of RAM. With Ultimate on a 64-bit processor(s; I have 2 processors of 64-bit), you can upgrade your PC to nearly 128 GBs of RAM. Yes, one-hundred and twenty-eight gigabytes of RAM.

Not unless your motherboard supports it though.  I don't think I've ever seen a laptop that supports more than 4 gigabytes of RAM.

I don't give a shit what it looks like. I want to know how it runs, and how well it works on different hardware. If it looks like Vista and runs like XP, I will be happy.

If you really want me to be a fan, have it run better then XP (I know, novel concept to make an OS that's run better then your last one).

Mafoo-- Then u will be happy then cause it runs fine on 1GB of RAM unlike the hog!

ssj12 said:
ymeaga1n said:
ssj12 said:
thank you M$ for another OS no one will give a damn about because it looks like crap and probably works like crap too.

Care to elaborate on your OPINION. Or should we just take it as a opinion of a bitter anti-"m$" lunatic? I frankly do give a damn about it. As are the 90% of people in the future that are likely to be using the OS.

It looks better than any previous windows. And if you had actually done some research on it rather than just judging it from the pictures you would know the new taskbar is way more useful.

ok

1. This OS will obviously be a resource hog like Vista. This will make it so that most general PC buyers wont get proper performance off a PC purchased at WalMart or any other supplier for under $500.

1a. This was also an issue for businesses with Vista due to the fact they had to buy new PCs.

2. Just like Vista the PC users who have an understanding will only upgrade if there is an obvious need to move up or if software available for the platform is good like XP's.

3. Will it have as many issues as Vista. While this remains to be seen, Vista was well known to have hardware and software compatibility issues due to Microsoft's inability to push out proper programming SKUs for developers even after launch.

4. Visually the GUI is not appealing as say XP is. Looking at it you see many shape edges and boxes that makes things look uninviting to use.

5. While Microsoft is adding new features, stolen yet again from Apple, the general PC users from both XP and Vista will have to relearn the operating system's features due to the fact that the OS's friendliness is lowered another notch for each new feature added.

I have to disagree with you at least partly on this one though... The MSR for W7 is understood to be at best lower and at worst on par with Vista which makes it decent Min Sys Req when it is released June 09+ (depending on delays).

As for the appealing factor, this is still an early build. I remember Longhorn looking very different in pre-release versions compared to post release. More over, I like the use of ribbons and it is an appealing feature for me. :) If it stays this way, I agree that the new designs are not much better than vista and I'll be sticking with XP for a while longer but in all likelyhood, things points to much more improvements to the system prior to release.

Win7 might convince me to migrate to it both at home and office.

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!