By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft previews Windows 7 UI (Vista 2.0)

epsilon72 said:
frybread said:
XP 64 is a dead end with limited 3rd party support.

Vista really is the best option for gaming, despite what Apple ads may tell you.

Riiiiight...because we rely on Mac ads for our opinions of Vista....I like Mac just about as much as I like Vista...>.>

I don't like it because I used it for six months. Not because I go and blindly say "Vista sucks!" without having tried it in the first place. I suppose the RAM limit may be a problem in the future, but three gigs is just fine for the moment, and by the time more is needed, well, I guess we can hope that windows 7 is all it's cracked up to be.

Same here.  At one point I had Windows XP 32-bit, Windows XP 64-bit and Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit all on my gaming computer.  The 3d Mark scores did not differ vary much between them; Propely overclocking had more of an impact.  I should note that my gaming computer only has 4GB of RAM, therefore 32-bit is not much of a problem for me.  I started playing any game I could on Ultimate 64-bit that could, but soon my OS started acting up, and even my 64-bit games wouldn't work quite right.  I then switched to Windows XP 32-bit.  It seems to run much more stably.

Around the Network

Anyone else get the "fancy look on a cheap budget" kind of feel from that new start bar? I mean it looks modern but in a cheap way, personally I don't like it, and I wouldn't even go as far as Vista 2.0, it's more like Vista 1.5.

I'll probably upgrade to Vista when SP2 comes out for it. I've used it off and on on other computers and I like the visual look, just a little more fixing and it'll be ready for me.

EDIT: After reading through several articles (including ones posted here) I think I might just skip Vista altogether, I'm definitely getting sick of XP, and could use something new. If the initial response and reviews of the retail version of Windows 7 are good, I think I just might get it.

Any word on what other software will come with it (Microsoft Office particularly?). Hopefully it won't be this Vista bull crap with Basic, Premium, Ultimate and Business.

Username2324 said:

Any word on what other software will come with it (Microsoft Office particularly?). Hopefully it won't be this Vista bull crap with Basic, Premium, Ultimate and Business.

Windows never comes with MS Office. It's likely that they will do the 'versions' thing, because the beta builds all say Windows 7 Ultimate on them.

ssj12 said:
shams said:
Still looks worse than OSX - by a long shot. This should really be free - its basically fixes/tweaks to Vista, which IMO is a disaster. Its personally cost my father thousands of dollars, and 100+ hrs of his time. I did warn him...

LOL at the floating widgets - its Linux from 20 years ago!

how about something like this

or

or

Cool.  Pronounce that Windows 7 will probably run like crap and then show desktop environments that are exceptional resource hogs.  I've used Beryl.  It's fun.  It's neat.  I haven't used it in a year, but when I was running it, there was a HUGE performance hit.  Around the same time RC2 of Vista was made public, guess which ran much much better.  Oh yeah, and Beryl crashed... a lot.  Of course these would be huge issues if Beryl were a Microsoft project, but since they're not they've become a footnote towards the reasons why Windows 7 will fail.

Hell, you call XP visually appealing and then post this?  What exactly are you looking for in an OS?  You're all over the place.