By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft previews Windows 7 UI (Vista 2.0)

joora said:
Soleron said:
joora said:
Is W7 a fully 64bit OS with 32-bit aplications emulation or is it same as Vista?

If it's 64bit i'm moving on it the moment it gets out (or after SP1 if it proves to be really buggy)

Also hope it's skinnable - MS is going in right direction, but those gadgets look fugly, and window design also isn't my cup of tea.

There will be a 32-bit and 64-bit version of Windows 7. Their primary goal is to preserve compatibility to avoid a Vista-like disaster, so major application and library rewrites to take advantage of 64-bit are not going to happen. If you want a real 64-bit OS, use OS X 10.6 or Linux or BSD.

It's not going to be fully skinnable, becuse they are making a big deal out of how you can now apply your system colour (windows border preference) to maximised windows. That's so trivial and useless that they wouldn't mention it if real skins were a big feature. Again, if you want real custom themes, use an open-source OS. Look at those KDE4 screenshots epsilon posted - MS has obviously copied (and ruined) KDE's widget and desktop ideas.

I dislike OS X and like gaming, so OS X is out of the question.

I earn my bread by using adobe programs, so Linux is out of the picture too.

So, seems that i'm stuck with XP, which is a really nice OS, but i was lookinf forward to moving onto a decent full 64bit OS from MS.

Maybe the one after W7 :)

vista 64 bit edition is a fully functional 64 bit os, i don't think W7 changed that.

If you're using photoshop, much ram helps, so 64 bit is the only way.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
ymeaga1n said:
ssj12 said:
thank you M$ for another OS no one will give a damn about because it looks like crap and probably works like crap too.

Care to elaborate on your OPINION. Or should we just take it as a opinion of a bitter anti-"m$" lunatic? I frankly do give a damn about it. As are the 90% of people in the future that are likely to be using the OS.

It looks better than any previous windows. And if you had actually done some research on it rather than just judging it from the pictures you would know the new taskbar is way more useful.

ok

1. This OS will obviously be a resource hog like Vista. This will make it so that most general PC buyers wont get proper performance off a PC purchased at WalMart or any other supplier for under $500.

1a. This was also an issue for businesses with Vista due to the fact they had to buy new PCs.

Was demonstrated running on a netbook with 1gb of ram with only 512 in usage. Worked great.

2. Just like Vista the PC users who have an understanding will only upgrade if there is an obvious need to move up or if software available for the platform is good like XP's.

It comes with the PC, old one gets slow so buy a new one with this preinstalled. Microsoft can't invent a need for people to upgrade.

3. Will it have as many issues as Vista. While this remains to be seen, Vista was well known to have hardware and software compatibility issues due to Microsoft's inability to push out proper programming SKUs for developers even after launch.

It will work with Vista drivers, and they are hard at work ensuring compatibility.

4. Visually the GUI is not appealing as say XP is. Looking at it you see many shape edges and boxes that makes things look uninviting to use.

Subjective.

5. While Microsoft is adding new features, stolen yet again from Apple, the general PC users from both XP and Vista will have to relearn the operating system's features due to the fact that the OS's friendliness is lowered another notch for each new feature added.

Most users will find the I.E and mail icons where they left them last.

@ Epsilon, I know you wanna give up the free "crap" and go with the number 1 OS maker in the world by volume of sales!!!!

JKJKJKJK Btw hows the Linux/games thing going?

Linux games are fucking sweet

Everyone, right now. Go to www.wesnoth.org/

It's an open source turn based strategy game for Linux, Mac and Windows

You can create new units, factions, maps, scenarios, campaigns, you can write your own AI, or even change the code of the game itself

Speaking of gaming on Vista, it doesn't suck at all. My Final Fantasy XI game runs perfectly on it. No lag whatsoever, but only in crowded areas in the game such as in Al'Zabi where it should lag for all three platforms (PS2/PS3 if you have 60GB, Windows and X360). I have never had any problems with the game and it runs just as fine on it. The only thing I remember is that the game ran like shit on my XP Media Center Edition 2005 laptop (the first one I had; I'm on my third laptop because my second laptop was destroyed in a car wreck this past summer). And honestly, I'm glad I'm off XP. I hated that OS so much because I had a hell of a time trying to update my drivers. Vista is much easier to do driver updates, in my opinion.

Looks clunky to me. Definitely a step in the right direction, but it lacks finesse. Example: their version of Expose is quite telling: OSX Expose makes windows disappear, Windows 7 version of expose makes them transparent which results in distracting outlines all over the desktop. I'm really liking what they are doing with the taskbar tho - their current implementation is horrendous and the new functionality they are building into it looks interesting.

This preview however means all that people sticking with XP won't switch - who's gonna pay the money for Vista knowing in 18 month's they'll have something like Windows 7 available?. They better promise a rather cheap upgrade fee from Vista to Windows 7, else Microsoft's sales team will cry bitter tears this year.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

scottie said:

Linux games are fucking sweet

Everyone, right now. Go to www.wesnoth.org/

It's an open source turn based strategy game for Linux, Mac and Windows

You can create new units, factions, maps, scenarios, campaigns, you can write your own AI, or even change the code of the game itself

Oh yeaaahh...I remember playing that one for a little bit.  I'll have to install it again.

Around the Network

XP 64 is a dead end with limited 3rd party support.

Vista really is the best option for gaming, despite what Apple ads may tell you.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

frybread said:
XP 64 is a dead end with limited 3rd party support.

Vista really is the best option for gaming, despite what Apple ads may tell you.

Riiiiight...because we rely on Mac ads for our opinions of Vista....I like Mac just about as much as I like Vista...>.>

I don't like it because I used it for six months. Not because I go and blindly say "Vista sucks!" without having tried it in the first place. I suppose the RAM limit may be a problem in the future, but three gigs is just fine for the moment, and by the time more is needed, well, I guess we can hope that windows 7 is all it's cracked up to be.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Looks clunky to me. Definitely a step in the right direction, but it lacks finesse. Example: their version of Expose is quite telling: OSX Expose makes windows disappear, Windows 7 version of expose makes them transparent which results in distracting outlines all over the desktop. I'm really liking what they are doing with the taskbar tho - their current implementation is horrendous and the new functionality they are building into it looks interesting.

This preview however means all that people sticking with XP won't switch - who's gonna pay the money for Vista knowing in 18 month's they'll have something like Windows 7 available?. They better promise a rather cheap upgrade fee from Vista to Windows 7, else Microsoft's sales team will cry bitter tears this year.

I fully agree, but I paid $64.95 for Windows Vista Ultimate w/SP1 64-bit from Microsoft's "The Ultimate Steal," but if need be, Microsoft should try to have the price lowered for users who have Vista already.

Still looks worse than OSX - by a long shot. This should really be free - its basically fixes/tweaks to Vista, which IMO is a disaster. Its personally cost my father thousands of dollars, and 100+ hrs of his time. I did warn him...

LOL at the floating widgets - its Linux from 20 years ago!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
Still looks worse than OSX - by a long shot. This should really be free - its basically fixes/tweaks to Vista, which IMO is a disaster. Its personally cost my father thousands of dollars, and 100+ hrs of his time. I did warn him...

LOL at the floating widgets - its Linux from 20 years ago!

how about something like this

or

or

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453