By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First Person Shooter vs 3rd Person Shooter

which one do you like better?

im comming as a fps gamer.d i saw some gow2 vids and thought it looked real nice so..... i thought to my self resistance would look ever better in 3rPOV rather then 1st.

Around the Network
bRoKeN said:

im comming as a fps gamer.d i saw some gow2 vids and thought it looked real nice so..... i thought to my self resistance would look ever better in 3rPOV rather then 1st.

Well it really depends. Both are good for their specific games. Gears of War couldn't have been in first person, Halo couldn't have been in third person.

I don't think Resistance would work better in first person at all. Making a good third person shooter is a LOT harder than making a good first person shooter. Look at Fracture, GRAW2, Army of Two. Average at best.

Considering Insomniac is new to shooters, I think FPS was a good choice. Epic had been making FPS for years, so they could take a risk and try third person. It worked.

Of course, when it boils down to it, I prefer third person, but ONLY if it is an excellent example of third person, like GeoW. Which leads to the fact that most of my favourite shooters are FPS.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
bRoKeN said:

Well it really depends. Both are good for their specific games. Gears of War couldn't have been in first person, Halo couldn't have been in third person.

I don't think Resistance would work better in first person at all. Making a good third person shooter is a LOT harder than making a good first person shooter. Look at Fracture, GRAW2, Army of Two. Average at best.

Considering Insomniac is new to shooters, I think FPS was a good choice. Epic had been making FPS for years, so they could take a risk and try third person. It worked.

Of course, when it boils down to it, I prefer third person, but ONLY if it is an excellent example of third person, like GeoW. Which leads to the fact that most of my favourite shooters are FPS.

you had to played through parts of halo in third person, not just driving or did you not play the series? 

also it does not really matter to me which one, if the game is good ill enjoy it.... though games that allow you to choose are cool....

for some reason this made me think of hitman... where the hell is the next hitman game 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

I meant if the ENTIRE GAME was in third person like Gears of War. I don't think I've ever played a game where you have to drive in first person.

Although Halo 3 had those turret moments...

I guess Half Life is a better example.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I prefer FPS but third is okay too. Third is probably better for giving sense of your character but FPS is for me more immersive (I love feeling of looking out of character eyes in the game world).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

FPS...i find 3rd person games lose a lot of atmosphere but i can never work out why...

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Both are great depends on game though MGS4 or COD4 are great examples of companys that used the two shooter types very well.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

3rd person all the way. FPS games usually make me feel claustrophobic because you can't see to the side of your character so someone could be standing right next to you shooting you and you won't see or sense them until you're shot. I like 3rd person because you see what's next to you which is actually closer to real like unless you have no sort of peripheral vision.

I'm not saying FPS games are bad. I just haven't really played one that didn't leave me feeling that way or somewaht lost at times too. I would sometimes get turned around too easily. Then again, I haven't played much at all of the newer FPS games. I had tried some during the SNES and N64 generations. The only recent one I've played and was Red Steel and I did like it too. Other than that, I played a little bit of Halo but I don't have the Xbox or 360 to give it a try.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

People are usually shooter fans, cause theres really not much dividing the two( though there have been more good FPSes), Half Life and Max Payne are both amongst my favorite games

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

As long as gameplay is good, I don't particularly care.