By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Red Alert 3 Gamespot Review: 8.0

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/redalert3/review.html

Red Alert 3 is a raucously fun strategy game that overcomes its issues with both style and substance.

The Good

• The story and cutscenes are wonderfully corny  
  • Fully cooperative campaign gives standard missions new life  
  • Each faction is fun to play thanks to cool, balanced units  
  • Vibrant visual design and smooth performance.

The Bad

• Problematic pathfinding and other glitches  
  • Clunky co-op invite system.
Seems like it's a good game, I have to try it sometime, I hope it has the usual engaging gameplay Red Alert always has

Around the Network

I have to try this game sometimes.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Whenever someone says "This looks retarded. There are Giant walking mechs, Grizzly bears with armor, a retarded storyline etc." everyone says "oh well that's just Red Alert, it's always been like that.

Has anyone even played Red Alert 1? Honestly?

The game was not quirky.
The game was not humorous.
The game was not completely unrealistic.

Every piece of technology in the game was well researched and based on real life attempts to create said technology. The whole "chronosphere" concept was based on Einstein's research into time travel, (the reason why Einstein is a such a major character) and also on the alleged "Philadelphia Experiment." (The cutscene with the disappearing destroyer.) The cutscenes had a very serious tone, and told a very interesting story. It was intriguing to look back at history and to wonder what really would have happened had Hitler not rose to power. The concept of the Soviets invading Europe anyways seems a very plausible situation. This is why Red Alert 1 is my favorite game in the Command and Conquer series, and also one of my favorite games of all time.

Red Alert 2 was a game I also thoroughly enjoyed. RA2 Vanilla (Pre-yuri's Revenge) was pretty well balanced, had cool units, and while the storyline was far fetched, and the technologies became ridiculous, the game had it's appeal. I personally wouldn't have taken the series in the direction it was taken, but it worked in Red Alert 2. Yuri's Revenge was a terrible expansion pack that absolutely tarnished the balance in the game. Battle Fortresses were way too powerful, Soviets as an entire team were completely useless, and Yuri was the most half assed team, and was completely overpowered.

Now Red Alert 3 is coming out. Obviously I have an attachment to the series, I grew up on the Command and Conquer games. It was my favorite series of games. I've been trying to stay away from Red Alert 3, because I knew I would just end up disappointed (Command and Conquer 3 left me heartbroken). I saw the trailer a couple months back and I got really excited. The game looked awesome! EA somehow managed to get the graphic style down, and it looked like they had some good units for Allies and Soviets. I was optimistic. I heard the campaign was co-op oriented. I was stoked!

Then I heard there was the "Empire of the Rising Sun." Come on. Why? How much cheesier can you get? EA somehow made the Scrin the cheesiest boringest blandest race in the history of RTS games. Being intrigued by the origin of Tiberium and seeing the cool looking spacecraft in Tiberian Sun etc. EA unveils the Scrin and it was ... anticlimactic. Anyways, Empire of the Rising Sun just takes that to a new level, especially with "Battle Mechs" and Samurai warriors or whatever other crap they have now. Grizzly Bears with armor? Whatever... I watched the Cinematic opener for the game, and the actors are worse than they've ever been. I know that this isn't a high production movie or anything, but the actors back in the 90's were at least convincing. The story is terrible. I'll leave it at that.

Thanks EA. You've ruined one of my favorite franchises. I hope you all enjoy this game, but if you ever played Red Alert 1 back in the 90's and enjoyed it, I think you will have a hard time enjoying this game.

THANK UUU

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

cant wait i love C&C

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Avalach21 said:

Thanks EA. You've ruined one of my favorite franchises. I hope you all enjoy this game, but if you ever played Red Alert 1 back in the 90's and enjoyed it, I think you will have a hard time enjoying this game.

Red Alert died with Westwood Studios.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Avalach21 said:

I know   Westwood was such a great company.  It breaks my heart that they had to go under like they did.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

I hope the campain will be similair to the first

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

WHy cant they just remake Red alert 2 with new maps and new stuff to build and use. Fuck you EA

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Avalach21 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Avalach21 said:

I know   Westwood was such a great company.  It breaks my heart that they had to go under like they did.

Believe me, I know.  This is actually one of my biggest reasons for disliking EA.  Now I'm worried about Bioware...

Words Of Wisdom said:
Avalach21 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Avalach21 said:

Believe me, I know.  This is actually one of my biggest reasons for disliking EA.  Now I'm worried about Bioware...

Although EA bought out Westwood, a good number of the original staff still work on the C&C games incluidng RA3. That was my understanding anyway.

Besides RA series has always been about the fantastic corny cutscenes to me.