By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Music - The Comprehensive Review

During my extended play of the game, I've also discovered something very interesting about Wii Music: it eschews a game-specific Friend Code and basically signs you up automatically with any other person on your Friend List that also has Wii Music. So it is, in its own way, the most open-ended Nintendo-made game thus far when it comes to online support.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

Review Addenum - Creativity is What You Make of It

I was unable to resist the lure of Wii Music, and so I decided to go back and try something I hadn't thought of before, something that occurred to me as I toyed with the menu rendition of the Wii Music theme: you don't have to play the song note-for-note or even close to the original version. In fact, what you play can be entirely something else from what the original song was intended to be, to the degree that the original song might not even be obvious without the opening blurb telling you what the song is.

So I sat down and decided to play what "felt" right to me, instead of what I "knew" was right, on the Legend of Zelda theme. The end result is eerie, a bit sublime, and almost nothing at all like the actual Zelda theme.

The end result is, undeniably, an original piece that follows some basic patterns of the classic Zelda theme, yet totally breaks away from said theme in ways that honestly surprised me even as I performed it. It never felt like I was hitting a "wrong" note while I recorded this, either; every note ended up fitting perfectly into the final mix.

So for those who are worried that there is no room for creativity in Wii Music, rest assured that there is. There is a lot of room for it, in fact. You really can make any song "yours".

Soma said:
Too bad you can't create your own music. Instrument Improv would be better if you could save your performance.

So you like the game. Was it worth the $50 or should I wait?

Total deal breaker.  Would it have been that hard to implement?  Hopefully someone will mimic and improve.  Awesome review though.  It's nice hearing the in depth opinion of someone who isn't offended by this game whatever that means.

So I guess the question now is have you tossed this game aside yet or does it hold your interest?

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Would be great to see some new Sky Render videos =)

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Around the Network

I still play Wii Music more or less daily, as it so happens. A few of my friends and I have taken to seeing how badly we can mutilate well-known tunes, as well as how interesting we can make them by not following the notes of the song at all. It's jolly good fun, right on down to seeing what insanity we can pull off in arranging Miis on the album covers.

Also, I have put at least one other Wii Music video up on my YouTube account (as well as a rather silly live-action bit with a guinea pig puppet I call Walnut, but that's neither here nor there). I would put up more, but I'm not really sure what to put up. Requests are welcome, either here or at my YT profile.