By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan Wake - should I get Vista or an X360

I don't know if anyone considers Alan Wake a system seller to watch out for, but it will be for me, in some kind of form anyway.

Remedy + Horror theme + Interesting story + Beautiful graphics = WIN!

Console wise, I have a PS3, which means I am screwed to get this game unless I either get an X360 or upgrade from Windows XP to Vista.

I have been weighing up the options and this is what I found:

Sweet deal on X360:
http://www.take2.co.za/games-xbox-360-console-full-system-pal-60gb-hard-drive-3946442.html

Cheapy DSP version of Vista:
http://www.take2.co.za/electronics-microsoft-windows-vista-home-premium-edition-dvd-64bit-sp1-dsp-2275921.html

Now, I could just "borrow" a version of Vista to play the game, but I am not comfortable with that. What do you guys think I should do? I know the game isn't out yet, but I am getting ready anyway. :)

BTW. My PC specs currently are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
8800GTS 320Mb
2GB Ram
Windows XP SP2 (peh to SP3)

Around the Network

Under no circumstances should anyone get Vista.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Get a 360 only if you want more of its exclusives. Buying a console for just one game doesn't make any sense to me.

thekitchensink said:

Heh heh. I have avoided Vista, cos I heard many rotten things about it. Surely service packs and updates have made it better by now?

Xen said:
Get a 360 only if you want more of its exclusives. Buying a console for just one game doesn't make any sense to me.

You are probably right. Vista I can get cheaper, but if I had an X360, I would probably get Fable 2 as well, unless that is coming out for PC in the near future. Eish. Decisions decisions.

Around the Network

I think you'll need a bit more for the comp to run Alan Wake well. Probably some more ram, as vista requires 1 gig and maybe a better video card. I'm guessing currently as is you'll be doing around 30-35 fps on medium settings on shadow, post processing, and shaders and high on everything else. Don't take my word though, you should ask Squilliam or whoever is knowledgable on PCS for help.

Personally if I were you I'd buy a arcade 360 for it's exclusives, and maybe get a harddrive if you want to enjoy XBLA games.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

_mevildan said:
thekitchensink said:

Heh heh. I have avoided Vista, cos I heard many rotten things about it. Surely service packs and updates have made it better by now?

Vista service pack makes it run a lot faster than before.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

If you want other X360 games outside of AW, then get AW.

Having said that, I've used Vista since launch, and it works great. I don't know what the haters are talking about: My copy works fine.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Grahamhsu said:
I think you'll need a bit more for the comp to run Alan Wake well. Probably some more ram, as vista requires 1 gig and maybe a better video card. I'm guessing currently as is you'll be doing around 30-35 fps on medium settings on shadow, post processing, and shaders and high on everything else. Don't take my word though, you should ask Squilliam or whoever is knowledgable on PCS for help.

Personally if I were you I'd buy a arcade 360 for it's exclusives, and maybe get a harddrive if you want to enjoy XBLA games.

2 more GBs ram + Vista is probably going to cost the same as an X360. Add a nice new GTX 280 to that and my budget will be bust.
Something else troubling is that my PC is a dev box (been working on a game project for about 2 yrs after I graduated), and I want the base spec to XP, so I will have to keep XP and have a dual boot setup for Vista.

Oh the sadness :(
Why can't their be a PS3 version to solve my problems. *slaps himself*. I need to stop whining. :)

_mevildan said:
Xen said:

You are probably right. Vista I can get cheaper, but if I had an X360, I would probably get Fable 2 as well, unless that is coming out for PC in the near future. Eish. Decisions decisions.

Quite probable that when it comes out it will be Vista only.

Hmm Xbox 360 or PC?

Take the option you'll enjoy the most! Thats all I can really say. But it also depends on whether or not you feel that your graphics card is coming to the end of its life. If you do then you'll have to add that cost on, but I guess with a 360 you could delay that cost.

Tease.