By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Could PS3 top Xbox 360 by this Christmas?

twingo said:
US
PS3 costs $400 - sold 58k
360 costs $200 - sold 83k

UK
PS3 costs £284 - sold 13k
360 costs £119 - sold 15k

Eu overall
PS3 sold 73k
360 sold 67k

Its plain as day to see whats gonna happen come xmas, consumers do NOT get cheep come xmas.

They do if there is a recession !

Around the Network

Guys, he's right. the PS3 could overtake the 360 in ltd sales by Christmas.

here is my maths

There are 14 more weeks to report before Xmas. The PS3 sold 145 000 last week

Due to Christmas, it can sell double this

equals 20.21 million by Christmas, a mere 1.5 mill behind the 360's current sales

The 360 however, will soon have been out for 3 full years. We all know that non Sony consoles start to experience negative sales after this point.

I think it's a fair assumption that it will have negative sales of at least 100 000 a week, which over 14 weeks will put the 360 on 20.3 million

Shit, I must've made a mistake in my calculations. Well, cut off 1/3 of 360 sales cos of RROD and the PS3 DoMiNaTeS!!!1

And yes, this was a lot of effort to go through for a joke post, the amount of effort I put into this reflects how laughable I think this thread is

In this lifetime INDUBIDUBLY

seriously just close this thread

The J man has spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Not just could,
yes it WILL.

PS3 FTW!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

TWRoO said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Weekly sales: yes
Total sales: no, even with PS3 doing a wonderful Xmas season and XB360 an horrible one, there still will be a some million units gap in favour of XB360, most probably PS3 will reach its rival's total sales during Q2 2009.

My guess is by Q2 you mean between April and June, in which case that is highly optimistic indeed... I'd say it is highly unlikely the PS3 will catch up before Q4 2009.

I took into account LBP and other big games releases, a possible price cut in March or April 2009 and that all these things could cause PS3 performance in Japan to better (although according to most, to really conquer the Japanese PS3 needs, besides more games, both price cut and launch of a slim version). Optimistic, but not totally irrealistic. Without a japanese boost and a price cut next Spring, I agree with your prediction, and I'd add the obvious, that in any case XB360 lead will last much longer than WW (this is good, as both MS and Sony could have things to be satisfied at this gen's end, so we won't risk losing important players and healthy competition).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Dodece said:

@AvZeroMkA157

Frugal is a vague terminology, more about mindset then anything else. What is a frugal expenditure to one person is an extravagant expenditure for another. However lets just use some concrete numbers to see exactly where I am going with my conclusions. Last year the average holiday budget was $850. Now given the dire economic situation, and millions of consumers having lost thousands of dollars in investments. I do not think it is out of the realm or realistic expectation that the majority of consumers would curtail their holiday budget by a third.

Don't get worried I will do the math for you. That means the average holiday budget this year would be $580. Now a PS3 will run the consumer $400, and after sales taxes that would run the consumer at a generous five percent $420. That would remaineder $160 for a holiday budget. Include a single game for $63, and the consumer has less then a hundred dollars for all the rest of their holiday shopping.

That makes for a rather thin tree especially if the parent plans to fill stockings, provide clothing, and of coarse take into account the very finicky nature of their children which are notorious for losing interest quickly. Oddly this is a worse spread for consumers then when the PS3 launched to consumers two years ago. When consumers spent $630 for the console, and after purchasing a game racked up an impressive $693 price tag. Even then the consumer still had over $150 left to spend.

This is what I mean in comparison the PS3 has actually lost traction on pricing, and is actually going backwards. Effectively the price of the console has increased, and may actually be more expensive for consumers then when it first launched. Yes the price factor is more favorable, and that may help. However it will not help for as many consumers as it would had the economy not slipped into a recession. Meanwhile Microsoft and Nintendo both have consoles that can survive a now much reduced budget.

The Arcade for instance still leaves over $300 within the budget even with an additional game purchase. The Wii still leaves $265 with the purchase of an additional game. They are not massive drags upon the budget. The surplus is more then enough to fill stockings, buy clothing, and a number of smaller ticket purchases. The consumer can even shop for more people.

I know some will say well the numbers are unflattering, and to that I can simply say this. A five percent sales tax is more then generous. I am not factoring in unemployment. Not only the loss of existing jobs, but the jobs that will not exist due to the thin margins that will be felt this holiday. I also have no way to factor in credit based spending limits, or place a concrete value upon irrational fear. So I feel I did a rather respectable analysis. I did not paint a picture of utter death, nor did I paint a picture of the recession being a microscopic factor in holiday spending.

The bottom line is that the affordability of the PS3 will be a rather large factor in holiday spending. When consumers are bound to spend considerably less then they have in previous years. Let me provide a link to also show I am not producing these figures out of my ass.

http://americanresearchgroup.com/holiday/

If that is the case, why are hardware sales at their highest levels in weeks or even months?

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39481&end=39740

(this wweek omitted from graph as all numbers not in yet)

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

If u'r asking about the sales of the next 2 and a half months,then it might just but it will be very close.

If u'r asking about lifetime sales then no but it could pass by the next holiday season

@Dodece

Original source: http://www.nrf.com/modules.php?name=news&op=viewlive&sp_id=386

A better idea of holiday shopping with 7,000+ consumers, statistics, and charts here:
http://www.nrf.com/modules.php?name=Documents&op=viewlive&sp_id=678

There is more data if you search the original site.

Highlights from the pdf data:
- Total holiday spending is not decreasing.
- Most people planned to spend around $600 for just gifts for the holiday season 2007. (Gifts for family has the highest priority with over $400 planned.)
- Usually around half of the consumers polled already planned to buy books, CDs, DVDs, videos, and video games. (It is possible that video games may not even account for a fourth of the purchases in this category.)

I think this is a good hint that most people can afford home consoles if they really wanted to.

If money becomes an issue, it is more likely that consumers will pass up video games and settle for other less expensive alternatives such as books, CDs, DVDs, videos, etc.