By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MGS4... Why Do Wii60 Fans Keep Wanting It?

yeah xeo i do...

Predicted end of gen Results

PS3--------58,000,000  Ps3 takes the lead it late 2009 and never loses the lead again

Wii---------43,000,000 Wii fade starts to die out in summer 2008 and sales decrease

Xbox 360----27,000,000 

Around the Network

Yeah i really think it is just to for the fanboys to make sure that sony fails.... i'm a 360 owner and don't like stealth game so i really don't care about MGS.... but I would have been happy to see peter moore with a MGS tatoo at the pre E3 MS press conf... and on the same hand i'm glad that splinter cell (which I don't like either) is exclusive XB.... it's a fanboy war their weapons are the exclusive blockbusters..... that's the way it's going to be for ever.....

now i'm not a hardcore fanboy either, i'm more a marketing fanboy.... I love VGchartz and to compare the charts every now and then...

now I heard someone saying that every XB fans are old PS fans.... I'll have to slightly desagree on that one... don't forget all the PC gamers who are tired of upgrading their PC every year.... and the old console gamers like me who never liked PS and stop buying consoles after the death of the dreamcast.... look at all the games on XB coming from DC, PGR, panzer dragon, DOA, shenmue, phantasy star online, jet set radio, crazy taxi etc...

I'm a geek and never liked sony even before they did consoles..... I feel like all their products are just one more among the list of electronic entertainement they are on...... I know better than a lot of people that it's all about money (i'm in the marketing and advertising business) but some companies prefer to focus on a couple markets, other like Sony are just going in every directions... and with those companies usually you can find better products with companies which narrow more their markets

and it's not only a question of opinion, when you look at benchmarks on lot of their products sony is not first in most of them either on the quality or the price..... So yeah for me Sony is to the electronic and entertainement industry what some people say Microsoft is to the operating system industry....

so to conclued on the off subject I don't really care as agamer who wins the war, as long as the system I have doesn't end up like dreamcast..... on the other hand I'd like to have my pronostic right... I give 1. WII, 2. 360 and 3. PS3.... now i'm pretty sure about the PS3being behind the XB 360, just because MS is their to win and will use all the means to succeed, it's just the WII i'm not sure of.... I'm sure they are going to pass the PS and 360 on the short run... but will it stand that position on the long run with the graphic limitation of the console.... I'm not sure people in 3 years will be still crazy about that system... but hey nintendo might come up with a new system before that...

and to conclued on the MGS subject... I think a lot of people on the sony part were tired of their lies (ie PS2 fake graphic quality during their trailers) they went to XB and want that game... the XB fan wants to see sony die and some want the game without to have to buy a PS3... but at the end I don't think the life of Sony depends on MGS, the real fight will be this christmas and if Sony doesn't come back at least a litle bit MGS won't be enough as it comes in 2008, the end of the year exclu on XB are going to boost their sales, and they didn't uncover the new exclusive for next year at the last E3 but looking at what they came up with this year I'm pretty sure MGS or other past PS exclu won't be powerfull enough and in my opinion they don't have any new licence who can fight nintendo and MS right now ...

global conclusion wait and see but it doesn't smells good for PS and that's the marketing instinct speaking here.... in my opinion the Sony strategy at E3 was really bad they put down a lot of their cards for next year down to early for this year and about their next year releases (i know not all of them) and MS played it safe with a nice end of the year line up and can get ready to plaster Sony at liepzig game convention or the TGS... without talking about an eventual X07... because I don't see MS doing the same at those convention than what they did at E3.... I see a price cut back for the end of the year with the new component engraving size or bundles at the same price than a premium, new exclusivs for next year announced and maybe a port of some PS exclu (which really isn't that necessary for this year announcement anyway).... for me Sony looked scared at E3... like they had to say "hey guys don't worry this year will still be so so but next year we have a couple blockbusters".... well guess what one more year it's a lot for that market and they are going to miss the chrismas rush for this year again....

so one more time wait and see, but personnally I don't see Sony coming back on that generation....

edit: a couple correction, and sorry for the lenght :) I hope you read all the way down ;) 

oh and tomorrow it's the publication of the game critics award... that will also play a role in the sales for each constructor.... a smaller one but still

@endimion,

"""as long as the system I have doesn't end up like dreamcast..... """

next pick a Wii or a PS3 ...
and I dont see how u can criticize Sony E3 when u compare it to Microsoft E3
If Microsoft keep focusing on Halo3 ... then they will lose market share this Xmas as they do right now.

Time to Work !

sorry double post.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

I own a PSWii and don't want it. It is exactly the same as every other one, but bigger and prettier. This generation is going to be so disappointing in the last half for all the "hardcore".

Why would do 360 people want it? Because it is a game that fits the type of people who mostly own 360 (and PS3). Read first paragraph^

Wii owners want it? Why? There things that are way more fun than playing MGS... like Wii Play with the Women's Soccer Team from school. Or Wii Bowling with my family. Or Mario sport games online. No wonder some Wii owners feel ripped off. They bought it expecting MGS and RE. That won't happen till the second half of the generation.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

@ libellule

nah even if MS would stop production tomorrow 10 million is enough to sustain enough sales for the game developers on the console so it won't happen..... and MS it's not sega if they choose a market they are going to bombard it until they lead it.... so MS stopping that segment is not for anytime soon.... on the other hand for Sony it's just another market among a long long long list and if they really fail at the end of that generation they might not invest for a 5th one if the 4th doesn't come back...(it's pure speculation on the Sony part)

the next part is not the fanboy speaking but the marketing guy lol :P :

about the E3 yeah my marketing opinion is totally in favor of the MS strategy compare to Sony (especially with the new E3 format) don't forget that E3 is not a convention for gamers in the first place but for professional. MS strategy was perfect for that purpose where Sony totally failed.... retailers are not at E3 2007 to hear about games coming up next year... they are there to get the picture for there Christmas sale... same for the press they are going to talk about the new games for 2008 announced at E3 but the one who are the most interesting for them is the Christmas line up too at the end.... the gamers are going to buy magazines to see what games are going to be on there list of Christmas purchases....

and E3 is in July you have Leipzig in august and Tokyo in September (if i'm not mistaken on the order and month) in my opinion (still the marketing one) talking about 2008 that much was suicidal from Sony, it's like showing your game on the flop at texas old'hem, where MS did a check and raise strategy... if I had to work on any marketing strategy for either Sony or MS I would have been closer to a the MS one on my retro planning.... people are not thinking yet seriously about Christmas purchases.... so you present what you have for this year now and what to expect later closer to the moment of purchase (especially since E3 is not public anymore)

now about the PS3 being in front of XB right now it's for 2 reasons... first the timed cut back they did to get rid of the 60go version... and also because a lot of XB gamers are waitng for the christmas line up to buy a XB360 especially since an eventual price cut back announcement probably at either one of the next convention as they officially said that they are about too launch a new generation of chips.... without talking about the one who buy bundles when the games are released if any will exist....

So yeah MS wins E3 on my marketing opinion (even nintendo did a good job on the marketing side, but i rarely compare them to the 2 other as it is not exactly the same market anyway)... of course as a gamer I liked a lot the PS3 one (still less than MS because I like the MS staff style more than the sony one) but it doesn't matter..... the convention is all about marketing at the very end because beside hardcore gamers nobody is really following it live anyway..... everyday people are going to eventually check the press or internet a couple month if not later before christmas and that's it..... hardcore gamers fanboys already made up their mind since the launch for the largest part.... and some are just going to buy both anyway....

leo-j said:

You know what I dont get? Xbox fans use to be sony fans. Why did the ever leave sony in the first place? Halo wasnt enough to make the xbox such a "great" console. Or is it the head start of the 360 that got those sony fans into transmiting towards microsoft.

It's easy to understand:

Some of us don't loyally stick by a company just because of a name. All they want is my money; why should I show them any loyalty? They don't show me any.

Right now, the 360 has the games I want to play. I didn't see that changing in the next 12 months so I bought a 360 about 6 months ago. After playing more of MGS3 over the past few weeks, I'm not very excited about MGS4. Compared to the Splinter Cell games, I think the viewpoint and controls are rubbish. The story may be interesting but I get so bloody mad at the controls, lack of quality aiming, and overhead views that it ruins the experience for me. I want to feel immersed in a game, not look at the top of my character's head all the damned time.

I'll end up buying a PS3 down the road but right now it's not very appealing to me.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

DonWii said:
naznatips said:

Actually I dislike MGS gameplay, but I do love the plot and music.

Same. Gameplay is uninteresting. Plot is Epic. Music makes going through gameplay to continue story bearable.

I didn't read this entire thread before posting.

Interesting, I thought I was one of the few that didn't like MGS gameplay. I guess there are people out there that agree with me.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

never played it, never seen it, never had any interest in it.