By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 Gameplay - Snake Is A Dirty Old Man

This is a huge movie, approx. 260mb in size and 15 minutes in length. Direct link from Gamersyde website. It'll take a while to load, so I'll let you know a few things that happen in the demo.

This is being played on actual Playstation 3 hardware. The demo takes place on a battlefield in the familiar areas you've seen in previous trailers of MGS4 (Middle East). There are two sides, and Snake can help either one he chooses to.

The first thing that is demonstrated is the statue camouflage. Snake grabs the genitalia (lol) of a statue and blends in. It's pretty cool (the graphics) and the gameplay looks smooth and impressive. Then, they show how the suit Snake wears blends in with walls and even the ground so he can hide from enemies. Snake sneaks up behind one of the soldiers, hits the guy and disarms him, then lays him down on the ground on his chest and chokes him out (dirty old man!).

You can also do the mini-worm while on the ground or play dead. Also, instead of just attacking a soldier, you can take them by surprise and hold them up, making them drop their weapon and stick their hands in the air. Then, you can pat them down and collect items. Snake then proceeds to grab the soldiers crotch and apply some sort of death grip that knocks him out. Poor bastid.

That's just the first 5 minutes. Let it load if you're interested.

Around the Network

The game is hot, but snake is definitely a dirty old man. A very good blend of fps action and stealth, definitely something I will be picking up when it comes out.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

This looks great. One of the first true next-gen experience IMO. Hopefully, the whole game is as action packed as the demo shown.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

the crazy plane bird things look freaky.

I watched this earlier today, and just.... Wow. This just looks like boat loads of fun. It seems like there's gonna be so many different ways to approach this game that no two people's experience will be the same. I mean, just look at all the different ways Snake methodically dealt with the PMC soldiers. Throw in the likely possibility that a number of gameplay mechanics haven't even been revealed yet, and this looks like a true next-gen experience; it's definitely a big step up from past incarnations. I don't think I could be more excited for this game than I am now.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network

It looks amazing.
They added tons to the gameplay (And the animations look anything but "clumsy", like in the previous installments), and the graphics are impressive, to say the very least. The variety of weapons and techniques you can use is huge, I can see the replay value being quite long in this one.

I'm really hoping Kojima treats us to a demo this year, 2008 seems so far away, =P.

sounds amazing. ( i cant see the vid cuz i'm at work -_- )

but yea, i've always enjoyed the MGS series and unfortunately i dont own a ps3 yet, but hopefully my frds who own a ps3 will get this when it comes out...

on a side note. wat is 'true next-gen experience'. seems to be thrown around alot, esp when describing upcoming ps3 games. is it the graphics. ? or the gameplay?

when i said "true next gen experience," i just meant that it seemed like a huge step up in every way compared to the previous iterations of Metal Gear. So it's about graphics and gameplay.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

I just watched the 720p feed of this ... it looks AMAZING. If your computer can handle it, go to http://www.gamersyde.com and download the 720p version. You won't regret it. Beautiful.

This game has gone from one of my most anticipated games to THE most anticipated game even ahead of FF, GTA and Mario which I am usually a bigger fan of than MGS franchise.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!