By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 Gameplay - Snake Is A Dirty Old Man

Sqrl said:
This was one of the games I was really looking forward to and I have to say that I think we watched different videos.

I thought the statue thing was neat, but my first thought was how many times am I going to need to hide when there is a statue right there for me? The barrel I liked until he rolled in it...I am trying to figure out how those PMCs got knocked out by a barrel rolling at like 0.5 mph.

The graphics look amazing, but I was expecting that. The AI looked pretty weak and the PMCs seemed oblivious to snake even when he is right in front of their face.

The rest of it was honestly stuff I was expecting. I don't want you guys to get the wrong impression the game looks great, no doubt. But at no point did I get a "wow" or anything close to it when watching this and I was extremely looking forward to the video. I saw what I expected and honestly not much more. This game is going to be AAA and its going to fly off the shelves and probably will sell some consoles as well, but I can't help but feel like I watched a different video.

Have you played former MGS games cause the gameplay system has been completely overhauled and that is the best thing about this video. They took the great stealth action and perfected it but fixed the combat which was MGS' weakest bit and made it great.

So this MGS should automatically blow away former games in the series. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Sqrl said:
This was one of the games I was really looking forward to and I have to say that I think we watched different videos.

I thought the statue thing was neat, but my first thought was how many times am I going to need to hide when there is a statue right there for me? The barrel I liked until he rolled in it...I am trying to figure out how those PMCs got knocked out by a barrel rolling at like 0.5 mph.

The graphics look amazing, but I was expecting that. The AI looked pretty weak and the PMCs seemed oblivious to snake even when he is right in front of their face.

The rest of it was honestly stuff I was expecting. I don't want you guys to get the wrong impression the game looks great, no doubt. But at no point did I get a "wow" or anything close to it when watching this and I was extremely looking forward to the video. I saw what I expected and honestly not much more. This game is going to be AAA and its going to fly off the shelves and probably will sell some consoles as well, but I can't help but feel like I watched a different video.

Have you played former MGS games cause the gameplay system has been completely overhauled and that is the best thing about this video. They took the great stealth action and perfected it but fixed the combat which was MGS' weakest bit and made it great.

Yes I have played them, that is why I was looking forward to this video. I agree there are definately some different elements to the way the game works but a complete overhaul? There are still a lot of similar if not identical ways the game works. I did like that they simplified the camo system, that will be very nice. But its still 3rd person (unless you choose to go FPS, but why?) and you still spend a lot of time fiddling with menus.

Once again, I am not saying it doesn't look like a fun game. Its just not all that different from what I was expecting. I don't know how to explain it other than that. And just for the record I was actually hoping for the wow factor in the video because I have been trying for months now to find some reason that will finally help me decide on my second console. As it stands MGS4 is still one of the top reasons for a PS3 but it didn't push me over the edge with this video. I'm going to have to do some more "wait and see" and hopefully one of them will catch my eye by x-mas '08. I am pretty patient so I can wait (except for SMG !!! oh those bastards).

Just to make sure its clear, I AM NOT BASHING THIS GAME. I really want to make sure you get that. I still think this is going to be a very fun game and I recognize that it has new elements added but they just weren't things that made me say "whoa!". Maybe I just had rediculous expectation or something but it just didn't wow me. Sorry. But hey, if it did wow you then by all means enjoy!

To Each Man, Responsibility

I have played all three MGS games more than any person ever should, like I beat 2 about 60 times (not kidding) and I guarantee everyone that the difficulty on the demo was set to "very easy". no doubt about it, you can tell most readily by the none headshot tranq knockouts, if it's not a headshot or crotchshot they have never fallen right away EXCEPT on "very easy". no one should concern themselves with the ease of the demo.

double post the same goes for that barrel roll, it will most likely have the same effect as a rolling kick. anyways, I really want this demo!!! any news about when it'll be public?

The reason why it's in 3rd person like it is it's because Kojima suffer 3d sickness like most japanese players. A lot of Japaneses people just can play FPS and a lots of 3D game because of this issue. 3D sickness is cause when all of the reference points is shift at the same time too quickly. I think it's a misconception that Japanese doesn't like FPS it's just that they can't play it but there's a lot solutions for it and I don't understand why company like Nintendo which aim at casual gamers doesn't put more efforts to implement it.

Around the Network

Great vid, but the site with the 720P version is going very slow for some reason, its going to take over 1 hour :(

ckmlb said:

Overhaul the controls?  The thing I hated the most about MGS2 and killed the franchise for me?  That's good enough to pique my interest again in Solid Snake.

Still, have to see how the new Splinter Cell: Conviction will be like before making up my mind (even though with these latest changes in MGS4 - positive ones, I might add - I may end up picking both up).

I think people are taking the change of the way the combat too lightly. Saying that it's essentially the same with the option to go into FPS mode is wrong because MGS never used to play this action packed before, it seems that the game will be more of a mix between stealth in some parts and 3rd shooter in others.

Also, the new camera positions, over the shoulder, are an amazing decision. There is literally one thing more I would have wanted and that would have been using the cover system that Gears used. That would have been a great addition too.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

If you guys have not watched the 720p version you need to do so, the game looks 100x better. I always hated the controls and the way the game moved and the camera in the other ones so i hope the new controls make it alot better to play.

Man! That looks awesome :D can't waot to play it. I especially like the variety of things you can do. I kinda makes me remember reading a book where the main character had to play through a level based on a video game, and so did things he otherwise would be able to do, such as rip the security cameras apart and use the wire and stuff. With this game it looks like a lot of effort has gone into making sure you have countless ways to proceed.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk