By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Is A "Hardcore Game"?

I hear the word "hardcore" being bandied about recently. I, personally, don't think that there's such a thing as a "hardcore gamer" or hardcore games" - it seems like an attempt by a bunch of teenagers and manchildren to try to place themselves in some sort of elite, high-minded clique, in comparison to those supposedly kiddy/shallow/whatever "casual gamers."

So, convince me that "hardcore games" actually exist. How do you define a "hardcore game" - or, for that matter, a "hardcore gamer"? What creates such a stark difference between "hardcore" and "casual"?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Well, I always thought hardcore gamers were the ones that play hard and unusual games (hardcore games), not games that everyone play like Call of Duty 4 or Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Maybe I would consider someone hardcore in these games if they show a decent amount of skills though, but I'd rather use the term ''no-lifes'' or ''it's the only game you play anyway'' if that's the case! XD

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

There's not sure definition of Hardcore but there are some characteristics that have been fairly constant with games that are called "Hardcore."

1.) Bloom, along with grey and brown.

2.) HD Graphics

3.) Some themes that involves killing or finishing objectives violently

4.) Dark themes and other things that people generally relate with "cool"

5.) High-production values

6.) some degree of challenge or opposition

7.) High quality (reviewed with 8.5 or higher)

8.) deep, sometimes overcomplicated, gameplay and stories

Pixel Art can be fun.

Hardcore games are those that are soft on the outside, with a hard, crunchy center.

All kidding aside, my understanding is that a "hardcore game" is one typically enjoyed by those who are "hardcore gamers", i.e. - a game that requires a lot of skill or a steep learning curve. Civilization could probably be considered hardcore because of the time and micromanagement required, whereas most FPS/RTS games tend to require time and/or good reflexes. RPGs tend to require a lot of character investment as well as extensive exploration.

Contrast that to a "casual" game such as Wii Play or Wii Sports where someone unfamiliar with the game can be fully involved in a few minutes.

On the other hand, I wouldn't argue that the majority of games on the Wii are "casual", because SSBB, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, etc. can have significant skill and/or time requirements to complete.

EDIT: Fixed the second paragraph.

I like the term "manchildren"

Around the Network

What a harcore game is? well it seems like it's people on the internet and gaming sites who determine what game is hardcore and what is not.

you know the people around age 13-25.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

@ SHMUPGurus: So a hardcore game is simply one that's difficult? Would you consider Tetris a hardcore game?

@ SmokedHostage: That seems to be what people generally think of as a hardcore game, but that leaves the question of why those things are considered "hardcore." Is there something about a brown, HD, violent game with high production values that somehow makes it better than a "casual" game (whatever that is)?

@ crumas2: I don't think learning curve has much to do with it. The Sims, for example, has a pretty steep learning curve, and it's enjoyed by soccer moms the world over.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
@ SHMUPGurus: So a hardcore game is simply one that's difficult? Would you consider Tetris a hardcore game?

Yep, I definitely would. I never got past the last few levels! xD

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

I was going to write an editorial about this, but then I realized that the comments section would end up being the worst thing known to man.

SHMUPGurus said:
Garcian Smith said:

Yep, I definitely would. I never got past the last few levels! xD

But isn't Tetris a favorite of "casual gamers"?

-Sean Malstrom