By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Xbox could run Doom3 & HL2 is it impossible Wii could run 360/PS3 games?

your mother said:
fazz said:
Actually I ranted about Gran Turismo because I would like it to have Motorstorm's, DiRT, etc.... like physics, damage on cars that actually affects its performance, etc... but nah they say "manufacturers don't want to damage their cars"... yeah, right :(

Here is a list of cars that are either identical between Forza 2 and GT HD, or are close enough to be considered the "same" car model (some are variants or different homologations but the "stock" car from which the homologations are based on are the same):

• Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro
  • Audi Johansson Motorsport R8
  • Audi Infineon Audi R8
  • Bentley Team Bentley Speed 8
  • BMW BMW Motorsport V12 LMR
  • Ferrari F430
  • Ford GT
  • Honda Integra Type-R
  • Honda NSX-R
  • Infiniti G35 Coupe
  • Lexus SC430
  • Lotus Elise 135R
  • Mazda RX-8 Mazdaspeed
  • Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type-A
  • Mercedes SLR
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR
  • Nissan Silvia K's
  • Nissan Skyline Coupe 350GT
  • Nissan Fairlady Z
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec
  • Panoz Esperante GTLM
  • Peugeot Talbot Sport 905 EVO 1C
  • Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
  • Subaru Impreza WRX STI
  • Toyota MR-S
  • Toyota Celica SS-I
  • Toyota 2000GT
  • Toyota APR Performance Celica GTS
  • Toyota Motorsports GT-ONE TS020
  • Toyota Open Interface Tom's Supra
I agree 123% with you - Polyphony's "damage" claim is absolute tripe.

What version of GT HD were you comparing to. Last time I checked, GT HD only had 10 cars.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Around the Network
Tispower said:
your mother said:
fazz said:
Actually I ranted about Gran Turismo because I would like it to have Motorstorm's, DiRT, etc.... like physics, damage on cars that actually affects its performance, etc... but nah they say "manufacturers don't want to damage their cars"... yeah, right :(

Here is a list of cars that are either identical between Forza 2 and GT HD, or are close enough to be considered the "same" car model (some are variants or different homologations but the "stock" car from which the homologations are based on are the same):

• Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro
  • Audi Johansson Motorsport R8
  • Audi Infineon Audi R8
  • Bentley Team Bentley Speed 8
  • BMW BMW Motorsport V12 LMR
  • Ferrari F430
  • Ford GT
  • Honda Integra Type-R
  • Honda NSX-R
  • Infiniti G35 Coupe
  • Lexus SC430
  • Lotus Elise 135R
  • Mazda RX-8 Mazdaspeed
  • Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type-A
  • Mercedes SLR
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR
  • Nissan Silvia K's
  • Nissan Skyline Coupe 350GT
  • Nissan Fairlady Z
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec
  • Panoz Esperante GTLM
  • Peugeot Talbot Sport 905 EVO 1C
  • Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
  • Subaru Impreza WRX STI
  • Toyota MR-S
  • Toyota Celica SS-I
  • Toyota 2000GT
  • Toyota APR Performance Celica GTS
  • Toyota Motorsports GT-ONE TS020
  • Toyota Open Interface Tom's Supra
I agree 123% with you - Polyphony's "damage" claim is absolute tripe.

What version of GT HD were you comparing to. Last time I checked, GT HD only had 10 cars.

I went to these sites to compile the list and match the cars from both games:

http://forzamotorsport.net/news/announcements/carlist.htm

http://www.gtplanet.net/guides/index.php/Gran_Turismo_HD_:_Car_List 

Mind you, I have no idea whether this is accurate to a T or not, because I don't own either system, let alone these games, but I do think these two sites should be reputable, being official (Forza 2) and fansites (GTplanet).

The second link didn't work. On my EU version of GT HD at least, it has 10 cars, and 10 tuned versions of the same cars. I have no idea how this post will look as my Rich Text thing is mucked up.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Crono said:
These games came out on the Xbox, but I was always of the opinion that they were the bastardized versions.

Sure, we could get a bastardized version of Gears of War on Wii, but the textures would be muddy, the polygon count would have to be reduced, and you'd have to dump the dolby digital audio. But it would essentally be the same game.

I just got done reading an editorial about the wii specs on http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/07/24/revolutionary-respectable-specs/ so I think wii is capable of some form of these games, just not the exact same experience.

BTW, I'd totally buy the wii version of Gears of War. RE4 works so well with the 3rd person perspective, I'd love to see it work with gears.

QFT.

That is my sentiment as well. Same game, but not same polish or sound. As Wii's userbase grows I am willing to bet GTA4 will be on Wii in 2008. Just as GTA:SA was on xbox well after it came out on PS2.

I wouldn't be surpised if Wii started to pump out games comparable to 360 launch games, but that's about the thresh hold. We'll never see something like Killzone 2 or Mass Effect on Wii, but I could see it coming close to PDZ and CoD2 by the end of its lifespan.

---------------
The Board is the best site on the Internet.

Around the Network

Um... it does work!

I'll post it up again for your reference:

http://www.gtplanet.net/guides/index.php/Gran_Turismo_HD_:_Car_List

or type it in - sometimes links get funny here on VGChartz.

Of course, like I said before, I have no idea what cars are out for which version (PAL, NTSC, NTSC-J) so all I have to go by is the list from that website.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that out of all those cars, most can be found on Forza 2! Therefore, I still think that the developers are talking rubbish about car manufacturers unwilling to see their virtual cars damaged in any way. 

Watered down graphics may seem like a big deal here, but outside the hardcore gamer, vg chartz bubble, ppl are going to care alot less if the graphics aren't as impressive as long as they can play the game with waggle. So yes, I think some games can and will be ported (if the wii sells enough devs will find a way, they always do).

What the...again!?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

There...I fixed it, magically.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Kwaad said:
fazz said:
It's amusing for me that everyone comes and throws some random specs of consoles hardwares... most of them wrong... most of them pulled out from somewhere... most of them not even knowing what the tech specs mean... and stating all of them as facts... sheesh >_>

For the topic question, I say yes. Games from PS3 Xbox 360 are quite possible on the Wii... but with lot of differences.

1st: Resolution. Nintendo were no idiots to lock the Wii's GPU to 640x480. They knew they had to keep a relatively slow clock to keep shuch a compact form factor, and keep the internal components healthy. Resolution gives one of the biggest performance impacts on GPUs. 1920x1080 is a lot more for a GPU than 640x480. So with a lower resolution, you have free GPU for other things. Oh, and with lower resolution you don't need that 16x Anisotropic Filtering, because its no use.

2nd: Textures. Why would you need 2048x2048 textures when you have a screen of 640x480? You really will not notice the lower resolution of the textures just because of the lower resolution of the screen.

3rd: VRAM. Wii, just like Xbox 360 and PS3, has a 'mediocre' 128-bit memory interface to their GDDR3 video memory... with an unkown speed. AMD could just have thrown there a 1000 Mhz-effective VRAM without increasing the heat that much... and still, by considering the 1st and 2nd points, how much VRAM would you need?

4th: Storage: Ok, we just don't have those ultra-high resolution textures there... why would we need those Blurays and HD-DVD's?

So, the only thing the hypothetical Wii-ports would need to be toned down a lot, would be physics and AI. When you compare the 360's and PS3's CPUs to the humble Wii's... hell, you have a big difference there. But anyway... how importante is physics for the other console's games? ***cough cough*** Gran Turismo HD *** cough cough***

:P

You havent played motorstorm have you? I'm not sure if the Wii could do the physics done for it. It probibally could, but it runs some really cool physics/traction stuff for each of the 4 wheels, on 12 vehicles! Not to mention the AI is rather interesting.

Motorstorm is not that physics heavy. The developers apparently found that too much physics would throw too much on the screen to see anything. So there are factors keeping the physics at a level the Wii could handle.

And intersting AI means a clever developer, while mass scale AI would be something that the Wii would have trouble doing. In other words, it's not something beyong the scope of the Wii. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs