By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eternal Sonata (PS3) given 8.7 by IGN and 8.5 by Gamespot

mrstickball said:

Here's Eternal Sonata (for X360) in a nutshell:

First 5 hours: Superb

Next 5 hours: Great

Last 10-20 hours: Progressively bad.

My last 10 hours were spent in the extra dungeon...that part was extremely boring ><

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Around the Network
Mirson said:
outlawauron said:
Impulsivity said:
Why do you have to pay to repair your 360 anyway? Isn't there still a warranty?

Either way unless you REALLY want to play gears 2 and won't wait for next years better PC version going the PS3 game route makes a lot more sense.

Yes I do. I want Fallout 3, and I am not a fan of PC controls for most games. My video card is fried, it isn't the RRoD. My problem falls under the one year warranty. >_>

I don't really care much about Gears 2, but I do want to give Fable 2 a try.

The Last Remnant is coming out for the 360 this year. Maybe you should fix it. IMO, the 360 is the best console with the best library to offer to generation.

The jury is still out on The Last Remnant for me. Not sure if I'll enjoy it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Grahamhsu said:
mrstickball said:

Here's Eternal Sonata (for X360) in a nutshell:

First 5 hours: Superb

Next 5 hours: Great

Last 10-20 hours: Progressively bad.

My last 10 hours were spent in the extra dungeon...that part was extremely boring ><

My official game time was just above 30hrs for the entire game, so it really depends on how long you take to beat the game. Around chapter 4-5, the game starts the nose dive, because you realize the game isn't really adding many new concepts, and your fighting the same enemies over and over again. My 2nd playthrough looks to clock in at 20-22hrs if I ever manage to do it.

Oh, and keep it on topic: No pro-X360 statements. Don't mention TLR since it's not coming to PS3 this year. Keep that to yourselves or in the X360 forum :)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

axumblade said:
jasonnc80 said:
axumblade said:
mrstickball said:

I praised Eternal Sonata when I actually was involved in playing it, and the good/bad sides of the game hadn't sank in yet. Go check when the last time I praised ES was - It was almost a year ago.

Did you ever play a game that you really liked, but after time, realized it just wasn't as good as you thought it was? Maybe you never have, oh god of VGChartz, but ES was one of those games - just like Enchanted Arms, or Two Worlds.

And yes, I'm on a second playthrough, but I haven't finished it - despite owning ES for a whole year. It's not the easiest to trudge through the game on a 2nd playthrough just for achievements. But I want to since I'm high-er up on the list of best RPG gamers on the X360. That's why I'm doing the achievvements. If I wanted to play an RPG with replay value, I'd play Oblivion or Mass Effect :)

How does a person enjoy playing a game and then afterwards decide that they didn't enjoy it? I don't quite understand. Not every game is meant to be played time and time again. Some games are great the first time you play them and then lose that luster because you know how the game goes but it doesn't change the fact that it was enjoyable the first time around. Maybe we have different views on playing a game. If I enjoy a game for onlythe first time through, I consider it a good game with no replay value.

I don't see why it would be hard to fathom that later on after playing through a game going back would make you see a lot of the flaws that you glazed over the first time.  I am in the same boat about the game.  I liked ES but going back for the encore playlist some of the flaws in the game started to become quite annoying.  I still had fun with the game and am working through it as we speak (well if I had a functioning box ).  I would recommend picking it up too.  Although I think older ports shouldn't be priced like they are but that's another debate for a different day.  It's also as easy as checking somebody's gamertag to see if they are full of shit or not about replaying something. 

Maybe you are right though that only the experience you have with something the first time should be what matters.  I mean that's what most newcomers to the game will experience themselves. Not every game (or movie, music, book or whatever) stays fresh for a repeat performance.  On the other hand having somebody give their honest opinion about something doesn't always mean they're out to belittle it out of spite for the platform it's on.

I wasn't necessarily saying he was belittling it because of the platform, i was simply stating that when I play a game through the first time and enjoy it, it's x amount of hours that I had fun playing the game, as opposed to a game that got old 5 minutes in.

Sorry I didn't mean to address you specifically with that part (mainly just the first paragraph).  I just went on a tangent with my post and wanted to speak my mind about other opinions on the thread.  I apologize that it looked that way.

It took me about 20 hours to beat the game too.  When I first went back to replay it a few months ago I did the extra dungeon which added an extra 8-10 hours.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

Despite the complaints some may have, I'll definitely be buying this game at some point.

Valkyria Chronicles definitely comes first, though.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

The jury is still out on The Last Remnant for me. Not sure if I'll enjoy it.

I'm still not even quite sure what the hell that game is even about...something about Remnants...possibly the last of them....then there are wars because of them?

damn Remnants, they always spoil the fun

makingmusic476 said:
Despite the complaints some may have, I'll definitely be buying this game at some point.

Valkyria Chronicles definitely comes first, though.

Kinda like when you'll finish Folklore and Rogue Galaxy at some point?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Paul_Warren said:
I knew that PS3 Eternal Sonata would be better than the 360 version, but it is also better than Tales of Vesperia 360 too. Maybe a better version of Vesperia will be headed to the PS3 as well now.

Here is the problem Paul.

Fallout 3 just scored a 9.6 from IGN, for the Xbox 360.

It scored a 9.4 for the PS3.

LBP scored a 9.5.

Now, if we use points from the same site to directly compare games, we will never get an accurate account of how good the game is.

I know you trust IGN, accoding to them though, the 360 just got a game better than LBP, and the PS3 just got a game worse than LBP.

I've done you the favor of acutally playing Eternal Sonata, and trust me when I tell you, the 360 version is vastly over-rated. It's a terrible game that most jrpgers would have a hard time finishing, in its brief 30 hour quest. Vesperia is an under-rated game, and vastly, unbelievably superior to ES on the 360, in every concievable way.

Games on the same site, can still be reviewed by different people, and have different results(Fallout 3 was reviewed by the same person though).

You can't compare games based on reviews from one source. There are way too many variables.

Now, having played both games, I do have a tough time believing that ES PS3 is any good. Honestly. I don't care if they slapped a FFVII remake inside of it as a minigame. It was so aweful that no remake could fix it. Some reviewers are just ignorant, or they had a bad day, or they are trying to prove a point, or whatever, or they aren't very smart, and they don't review a game correctly(which you can't do, but some miss the ballpark entirely).

So, watch those assumptions, because they always come back to bite you in the ass.

If you say absolutely that ES is better than ToV(and anyone who's played them both and agrees with that...is dead to me), then you must also say that the 360 version of Fallout 3 is absolutely better than LBP, and LBP wasn't even the best game released this month.

You've also used IGN to flame Fable 2. I don't think you'll be doing that anymore, around me.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Buying after a price drop.

Paul_Warren is a hopeless fanboy Zen. Do not waste your text on him. Anyone that thinks Eternal Sonata deserves to be mentioned in the same vein as Tales of Vesperia is obviously of questionable taste. The only thing I'd give ES over ToV is graphics. Everything else about ToV is better, be it gameplay, characters, story, actual sidequests etc.