By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 Million Seller Tracker

MANUELF said:

That is not Nintendo fault, according to you what  3rd party game deserves that sales?

And what of the Nintendo games deserved 10 million? I don't really think Nintendogs, Brain Training, or Animal Crossing were some sort of critically-hailed phenomenon that blow away every 3rd party effort on the NDS.

I can't say that I'd place some sort of '10 million' tag on any DS game - Nintendo or not at the moment. I do, however, think there are a littany of games like TWEWY, FFVI, Layton, and others that deserved far more sales than they've received....Especially TWEWY which has sold worse than 70% of the HD JRPGs currently out...Despite the fact it's the best-reviewed JRPG this generation.

Why can Nintendogs sell 20 million copies, and Imagine Babiez or whatever sell 1/10th of that?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
MANUELF said:

That is not Nintendo fault, according to you what  3rd party game deserves that sales?

And what of the Nintendo games deserved 10 million? I don't really think Nintendogs, Brain Training, or Animal Crossing were some sort of critically-hailed phenomenon that blow away every 3rd party effort on the NDS.

I can't say that I'd place some sort of '10 million' tag on any DS game - Nintendo or not at the moment. I do, however, think there are a littany of games like TWEWY, FFVI, Layton, and others that deserved far more sales than they've received....Especially TWEWY which has sold worse than 70% of the HD JRPGs currently out...Despite the fact it's the best-reviewed JRPG this generation.

Why can Nintendogs sell 20 million copies, and Imagine Babiez or whatever sell 1/10th of that?

Theres no accounting for taste in gaming, I don't care if 20 million little girls bought Nintendogs, you're right it is a shame games that have had much more effort put into them don't get to within 5% of what Nintendogs has done.

In the end though, a game deserves to sell what it sells. I guess .... there is meaning in there somewhere ...

I'm not trying to argue Nintendos *if* there were more examples of good quality DS games selling insane numbers. If you look at something like the Playstation, or almost any console - They usually aren't very top-loaded when it comes to big sellers.

The Playstation 1 had plenty of SEC-published titles in the Top-10. Difference was/is that it was peppered with similarly-selling 3rd party titles. So have most systems...Even the N64 had great 3rd party successes in Goldeneye 007 which *was* N-published, but was certainly a Rare title.

Again, I'm not trying to say "OMG, only Nintendo games sell on the DS" but it's more again to 'only Nintendo games sell incredibly well" - That's not to take away the decent bit of 3rd party successes and million sellers.

*Hopefully* DQIX can break this trend of poor-selling 3rd party games and catapult a good title up on the DS list for fastest-selling and biggest games on the system.

mrstickball said:
I'm not trying to argue Nintendos *if* there were more examples of good quality DS games selling insane numbers. If you look at something like the Playstation, or almost any console - They usually aren't very top-loaded when it comes to big sellers.

The Playstation 1 had plenty of SEC-published titles in the Top-10. Difference was/is that it was peppered with similarly-selling 3rd party titles. So have most systems...Even the N64 had great 3rd party successes in Goldeneye 007 which *was* N-published, but was certainly a Rare title.

Again, I'm not trying to say "OMG, only Nintendo games sell on the DS" but it's more again to 'only Nintendo games sell incredibly well" - That's not to take away the decent bit of 3rd party successes and million sellers.

*Hopefully* DQIX can break this trend of poor-selling 3rd party games and catapult a good title up on the DS list for fastest-selling and biggest games on the system.

That pretty much applies to the entire industry. There's Nintendo and then there's everyone else, people are just using Nintendo's exclusivity to their own platforms to make arguments that don't work.

But personally I found the entire DS vs. 360 million seller comparison to be sort of asinine since there's a huge amount of untracked DS sales. There are a lot of million sellers on that list missing and it changes in an instant when ioi gets around to updating.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:

That pretty much applies to the entire industry. There's Nintendo and then there's everyone else, people are just using Nintendo's exclusivity to their own platforms to make arguments that don't work.

But personally I found the entire DS vs. 360 million seller comparison to be sort of asinine since there's a huge amount of untracked DS sales. There are a lot of million sellers on that list missing and it changes in an instant when ioi gets around to updating.

Given the DS's install base, though, I wish there were more games you could point to as being ultra-defining evidence in core-game success by 3rd parties. NSMB is the best example of it, IMO, but it's Nintendo. I've always been against the 'DS can't move 3rd party games' for the past 2 years...But it'd be nice to see the list a bit more spread out at the top, too :-p

And yes, it'd be nice to get a more definitive list of million-sellers for the DS, and any older system. VGC data is only reliable for the past few months for million sellers...Because I can think of quite a few X360 games that are million sellers, or near it that lack data - And one can only imagine how much worse the DS's case is, given the fact it's had more games out, for a longer period of time.

Of course, I'm the niche DS owner guy that just doesn't get why people don't buy games like Lock's Quest or DQIV in the West.

Around the Network

Lost Odyssey, Orange Box and Ninja Gaiden are closing in on their most deserved Million sales mark.

Tease.

awesome! I'm glad to finally see someone do the same thread that a few others and I have done with the Wii and DS :D

good job Seece!

No European data, but Far Cry 2 hit the million seller mark. Need For Speed: Undercover should hit 1m next week and depending on how you consider it - will be within the '08 sellers as hitting 1m. NFS:UC stands at 860,000 without European data which should propel it to ~930,000 by the end of the 27th.

Old games which could sell 1.000.000 in 2009 (IMO): UPDATED 01/07/09

BIG chance:

NFS Undercover - 1.015.000 (has reached 1 million even before 2009 - I failed)
Sonic The Hedgehog - 930.000
Burnout Paradise - 915.000
Ninja Gaiden 2 - 890.000
Lost Odyssey - 865.000
The Orange Box - 850.000
Dead Space - 795.000
Scene It? LCA - 770.000 (American million seller)
Mercenaries 2 - 770.000
PES 2009 - 770.000
Quantum of Solace - 750.000
Prince of Persia - 740.000
Midnight Club LA - 735.000
Smackdown vs Raw 09 - 680.000
MK vs DC Universe - 665.000
LIPS - 595.000
NBA 2K9 - 585.000
Banjo Kazooie N&B - 570.000
Mirror's Edge - 530.000
Scene It? BOS - 490.000