By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The selling power of Gran Turismo

Griffin said:
libellule said:
GT5 will be huge : YES

but WHEN !!!!!!!!!!?????????

Late 2010 maybe =((

But 2010 will be the year of the PS3, GT5, FF13 NA/Europe, FFv13 Japan, and R3 =)))

Hehe, every year is the year of the PS3!

@ stage, if the PS3 sells as much as it did last holiday, the PS3 will be up at around 20m, but it will sell more as it is already tracking much higher, so I would guess about 22m. That would mean that it would likely be over 30m by the end of 2009 when GT 5 comes out, and probably at a price closer to $300.

@ waron, so you are suggesting that the game will be released in 2011, and the PS3's price will still be $400? You are also saying that there will only be that one good game on the PS3, so you are suggesting that about 5 years of games are worth nothing? Prologue is nothing compared to the full game, there are only about 5 tracks, and Sony will not increase that that much. There are already plenty of arcade simulators around, and arcades are dying outside of Japan as far as I am aware, and surely that would have affected the series before now anyway.

I'm guessing it will launch to a 30-32m user base roughly at the end of 2009, and it will certainly boost sales over that holiday, and it should have good legs as I am sure Sony will support it for a long time. Getting to 10m is another question. I think it will likely only make 8-9m

Around the Network
twingo said:
Most will deny it maybe out of ignorance of jealousy whatever but GT alone can carry a console. This game selling power is unrivaled, its the undisputed king of its genre. Has no real competition at all.

Easy 10 million seller.

Good chance by the time GT5 is freaking finally done PS3 just might cost around $200

well said

i fully agree

S.T.A.G.E. said:
colonelstubbs said:
GT5 will be a 7 million seller at least guarenteed...but as someone said above, by the time it comes out, will the PS3 still be relevant?

I hope so

7 M at the least? With the shitty sales this gen? Get out of the PS2 era. So you're suggesting that a little less than half of PS3 owners will buy this game? LOL....wow. If it gets 7 M this gen, with the sales of the PS3 installed base, it will be a miracle. GT4 sold nearly 9.50 M out of over 100 M+ consoles sold on the PS2. Do the math. Thats less than 10%

gamecube sold 21million units and the highest selling game sold 7 million.....the install base was so low....

hmmmmmmm

MontanaHatchet said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'll tell you this. The GT series is a force to be reckoned with. Thats the only PS3 game I expect to top 5M units.

Wait, really? Grand Theft Auto 4 is highly likely to pass 5 million after this holiday season alone, and Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 both have decent chances. Not to mention Call of Duty 5. Of course, a lot of these are shooters, but it's one of the few genres that has massive appeal to both the American and European markets.

Exclusive man...exclusive GTA doesn't count. And no, I don't believe Resistance 2 will reach over 5 M or even get to 5 M based on my projections. KZ2 won't sell more than Resistance at all (But I believe it will be  better). Call of Duty 5 will get owned on the 360 in sales compared to the PS3, but thats a multiplat so it doesn't even matter.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
MontanaHatchet said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'll tell you this. The GT series is a force to be reckoned with. Thats the only PS3 game I expect to top 5M units.

Wait, really? Grand Theft Auto 4 is highly likely to pass 5 million after this holiday season alone, and Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 both have decent chances. Not to mention Call of Duty 5. Of course, a lot of these are shooters, but it's one of the few genres that has massive appeal to both the American and European markets.

Exclusive man...exclusive.

You probably shouldn't leave words out if you're going to make poor arguments then.

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
Griffin said:
libellule said:

Late 2010 maybe =((

But 2010 will be the year of the PS3, GT5, FF13 NA/Europe, FFv13 Japan, and R3 =)))

@ stage, if the PS3 sells as much as it did last holiday, the PS3 will be up at around 20m, but it will sell more as it is already tracking much higher, so I would guess about 22m. That would mean that it would likely be over 30m by the end of 2009 when GT 5 comes out, and probably at a price closer to $300.

@ waron, so you are suggesting that the game will be released in 2011, and the PS3's price will still be $400? You are also saying that there will only be that one good game on the PS3, so you are suggesting that about 5 years of games are worth nothing? Prologue is nothing compared to the full game, there are only about 5 tracks, and Sony will not increase that that much. There are already plenty of arcade simulators around, and arcades are dying outside of Japan as far as I am aware, and surely that would have affected the series before now anyway.

I'm guessing it will launch to a 30-32m user base roughly at the end of 2009, and it will certainly boost sales over that holiday, and it should have good legs as I am sure Sony will support it for a long time. Getting to 10m is another question. I think it will likely only make 8-9m

The holiday season isn't going to be as good as I thought it was. I don't expect the PS3 or the 360 to sell as much as I thought before. 20 M in sales seems like next year right before 2nd Q.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Munkeh111 said:
Griffin said:
libellule said:

Late 2010 maybe =((

The Holiday season isn't going to be as good as I thought it was. I don't expect the PS3 or the 360 to sell as much as I thought before. I would say you were crazy if you thought the PS3 was going to get 5 M as you are predicting. They will sell somewhere around 18-19 M consoles by the end of the year.

you will eat your words like everyone did last year about Ps3 sales

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Munkeh111 said:
Griffin said:
libellule said:

Late 2010 maybe =((

The Holiday season isn't going to be as good as I thought it was. I don't expect the PS3 or the 360 to sell as much as I thought before. I would say you were crazy if you thought the PS3 was going to get 5 M as you are predicting. They will sell somewhere around 18-19 M consoles by the end of the year.

you will eat your words like everyone did last year about Ps3 sales

Sony deserved all the bad press they got, because they went against the trend they started and got arrogant thinking about the business partners before the people, whom are the ones they are really selling the products to.

MontanaHatchet said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MontanaHatchet said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exclusive man...exclusive.

You probably shouldn't leave words out if you're going to make poor arguments then.

My argument was that no exclusive of the PS3's will go over 5 M besides Gran Turismo. :)

I don't get the enjoyment everyone gets from racing car sims. Even, I get it when I play Gt3 every now and then.

OT: Gt5 sales could be the lowest in the series. Why you ask? Because of the Ps3's performance compared to Ps2. No doubt Gt5 will break 8 mil, but the Ps3 isn't doing like the Ps2. The only console worth owning was the Ps2. (i said worth. The cube and Xbox weren't worth it.) The Ps2's price should've been what the Ps3's price was because it was practically the most valuable console in history. I would go as far as saying that with it's games, it's even more valuable than the Wii, Ps3, and 360 combined! Hell, throw in Psp as well. The only current gaming device to rival it's library is the ds and the ds's library lacks in certain parts also.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius