By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I fail to see this 'XboX 360 boost' in sales..after the price drop

mrstickball said:
I think using that chart, it's hard to actually see.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39453&end=39740

The X360 was at 100,000 units/wk before the price drop. Now it's done no less than 143,000 since the drop, and saw an increase vs. last week to 157,000. That's decent, no?

As others have stated, price drops help out for more than 1 month. Go look at the PS3 price drop last year. It helped Oct/Nov/Dec sales decently, but the biggest effect was post-holiday when it started posting massive YOY increases. That's when it matters.

This.

Around the Network

How is the 360 selling compared to the PS2 should be the real comparison and not to the Wii at all. The 360 is managing to sell better than PS3 as of late so it is working in that sense. Whether the price cut managed to sell more 360's or less PS3's. Either way it worked in that sense

libellule said:
Zucas,

to be fair, we dont have Halo3 this year ...

As fair as that may be, historically, especialy in America, pricedrops usually have more of an effect on sales than a single game.  Now I know it's Halo but usually pricedrops do more along with new SKU's ect.  Even within this generation you can see that.   I think it's fair to mention that as well. 

It goes back to what I said before the pricedrop.  Customers outside of the holiday season aren't going to buy into the $200 Arcade SKU.  It's seen as the weaker version and majority of customers buying through out the year are usually a little more well informed.  Now during the holiday season this could up sales more so than it ever did during recent weeks becuase these are your mainstream uniformed compulsive buyers.

Well, the 360 is clearly losing steam- they lost to PS3 in Europe after-what-4 weeks of winning? And it may have just about beaten the PS3 in Japan, but sales for both consoles in Japan are abysmal.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

niksta2 said:
libellule said:
Zucas,

to be fair, we dont have Halo3 this year ...

but you do have gears 2 and fable

Fable wasn't nearly as acclaimed or successful as Halo and Halo 2.

Gears 2 is a sequel to a 360 game and therefore most people who want it would already have a PS3 for Gears of War.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:Fable wasn't nearly as acclaimed or successful as Halo and Halo 2.

Gears 2 is a sequel to a 360 game and therefore most people who want it would already have a PS3 for Gears of War.

I was unaware Gears was on the PS3. Hm, you learn something new everday.

The_God_of_War said:
I mentioned this in another thread, it's outselling the PS3 by less and less with each passing week.

Not only that, but the PS3 appears to be builing in momentum.

It's selling now at about 23000 units better than it was at it's low point 4 weeks ago, this week did see a rise in 360 sales but just slightly less than the PS3 rose.

Interesting times are ahead this christmas, i wonder which way the trends will go.

As the op pointed out though, what the heck has caused the bump in Wii sales (150 000 units more than 2 weeks ago)?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

no halo 3 this year, its doing okay, but nothing espectacular.

thanks for explaining everyone..I kind of thought the increase was bigger...hearing all the xbots rejoice.. ^^'''

hmm..I agree though..Sony needs to do something fast...

You can get a 360 arcade here for 150Euro. A Ps3 still costs 400 Euro I think (were not in stock). If MS doesn't kill Sony saleswise in Europe NOW it will never.