By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Saints Row 2 > GTAIV

marciosmg said:

I have played for a couple of hours and I get what you mean. GTA IV wins by graphics, story, immersion, style but SR2 is more crazy lunatic fun.

Throwing people into oncoming traffic is really fun :D

EDIT - The FUZZ activity is amazing too.

SR2 look pretty fun from what I see(don't plan on getting it though) but the reason why GTAIV got better scores is because SR2 has several technical issues and overall, has mediocre graphics.  GTAIV however, made a living breathing world and has a great story and overall is a great game.  It is a little boring at times but is a great game if you look at the overall package.  Face it, games aren't just about fun anymore like they were in the 80s.  Developers are trying to make games into a respected art form.

Around the Network
hibikir said:
The reason it's better is pretty simple: GTA IV fight against its own identity way too often, so the whole is much worse than the sum of its parts. It's not even close to being the best game of the generation, but the reviewers ate it up.

Saints Row has a clear identity, and that makes it work. It's not so good technically, but that's now what makes a game.

So true. They tried this really serious storyline (which I really liked) and had yo cut some of the wackiness, but they forgot that one of the reasons GTA sells so well is because of the wackiness, that SR2 has by the bucketload.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

DTG said:
How can people say that SR2 is better than GTA4 when the storyline is such suckage compared to the later? It may be more fun, but fun shouldn't be the sole factor by which one rates the quality of anything.

epic, seriously how do you come up with this stuff? you are one of a kind.

i thought video games were meant to be fun above all else

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
--OkeyDokey-- said:
DTG said:
How can people say that SR2 is better than GTA4 when the storyline is such suckage compared to the later? It may be more fun, but fun shouldn't be the sole factor by which one rates the quality of anything.

Your posts are cute.

I do agree they are very cute...

Former something....

marciosmg said:
hibikir said:
The reason it's better is pretty simple: GTA IV fight against its own identity way too often, so the whole is much worse than the sum of its parts. It's not even close to being the best game of the generation, but the reviewers ate it up.

Saints Row has a clear identity, and that makes it work. It's not so good technically, but that's now what makes a game.

So true. They tried this really serious storyline (which I really liked) and had yo cut some of the wackiness, but they forgot that one of the reasons GTA sells so well is because of the wackiness, that SR2 has by the bucketload.

GTA sells because it has an open world concept that appeals to the mainstream, not because of the wackiness.  Just because a game has a serious story doesn't mean it can't have humor in it.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
marciosmg said:
hibikir said:

GTA sells because it has an open world concept that appeals to the mainstream, not because of the wackiness.  Just because a game has a serious story doesn't mean it can't have humor in it.

I said it´s one of the reasons. This, too. Look at the stories of Vice City and San Andreas and GTA IV. IV is much more serious.

I remember the first time I played IV, I chase this guy up this ladders and when I hit him, he falls all the way down and Niko says: "ah, I didn´t want to kill here too". Look at his conversation with that mobster´s wife and the scene when he meets the special someone. I personally loved it, it was serious art in a way GTA didn´t have before.

BUt a lot of people wanted the parachute back more than anything, the planes, the jetpack, the tanks, etc.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Cougarman said:
DTG said:

I think what he means is that the game is too shallow, it is just a quick dip in the fun pond, but when you jump in you realise you are still standing. GTA IV may have steps to get in, but it is much deeper once you are in. (I am sorry for the rubbish metaphor)

Basically Saints Row is more of the mindless fun, whereas your overall enjoyment of GTA IV may be greater

Munkeh111 said:
Cougarman said:
DTG said:

I think what he means is that the game is too shallow, it is just a quick dip in the fun pond, but when you jump in you realise you are still standing. GTA IV may have steps to get in, but it is much deeper once you are in. (I am sorry for the rubbish metaphor)

Basically Saints Row is more of the mindless fun, whereas your overall enjoyment of GTA IV may be greater

Unlike SR2, GTAIV doesn't have the instant gratification that many Western gamers seem to like.  GTAIV is one of those games that takes time to get really good.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Mummelmann said:
I have no doubt that this is more fun than the atrocious GTA IV, I really don't!

I think people would hate it a lot less if it averaged around 5% lower on Gamerankings :)

I think it has to do more with where he lives every game he buys is like 100+ dollars.

Riachu said:
Munkeh111 said:
Cougarman said:
DTG said:

Unlike SR2, GTAIV doesn't have the instant gratification that many Western gamers seem to like.  GTAIV is one of those games that takes time to get really good.

Well the problem with GTA IV is that there is just so much to do, the hours of tutorials are pretty much inevitable, I assume SR 2 is just far simpler in every aspect