By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mid-Generation: loss of impressiveness

I see where you are coming from Happy, and I stopped being impressed after the first time I played Dead Rising. Since Dead Rising was a great snapshot into what this next-gen should have brought, but instead I keep seeing Goldeneye 457. Sandbox games were unimpressive after Vice City and Will Wrights' latest creation needed something added.

To me the only games that still can hit me with the WOW are:
-Civ 4
-Dead Rising
-Chrono Trigger
-Sim City 4
-Super Punch-out
-SotC

Around the Network
Zucas said:
Haha just figuring that out now. Once you realize that most of the games have been graphical updates of games that releases in the N64/PS1 era you'll see how monotonous games have really becomes. And sure we'll get a LittleBigPlanet or Wii Sports every now and then but most likely we are just going to keep getting Resistance or Gears 2 or whatever the stereotype of the month is. And sure they look nice and sure they play well... no doubt good games but they've been good for 10 fucking years... don't ya think we deserve something more. But of course the root of the problem is these are the games we continue to buy and the reviewers praise so we probably won't get more.

Hopefully we can start to build on those titles past simply updating them and yes WiiMotionPlus does intrigue me to get more uniquely played games and with games releasing on Wiiware, XBLA, and PSN which seem to be more creative than the retail games.

I'm still waiting for the Psychonauts of this generation. That game seriously had everything I ever asked for from a game and did it all better than I ever expected. Only Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Smash Bros Brawl have satisfied me to a similar extent, but there were still minor flaws that left me wishing something had been fixed. No More Heroes was filled with awesome, but it was a lot like a piece of candy, short, spectacular while it lasted, but you still feel hungry at the end.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
Zucas said:
Haha just figuring that out now. Once you realize that most of the games have been graphical updates of games that releases in the N64/PS1 era you'll see how monotonous games have really becomes. And sure we'll get a LittleBigPlanet or Wii Sports every now and then but most likely we are just going to keep getting Resistance or Gears 2 or whatever the stereotype of the month is. And sure they look nice and sure they play well... no doubt good games but they've been good for 10 fucking years... don't ya think we deserve something more. But of course the root of the problem is these are the games we continue to buy and the reviewers praise so we probably won't get more.

Hopefully we can start to build on those titles past simply updating them and yes WiiMotionPlus does intrigue me to get more uniquely played games and with games releasing on Wiiware, XBLA, and PSN which seem to be more creative than the retail games.

I'm still waiting for the Psychonauts of this generation. That game seriously had everything I ever asked for from a game and did it all better than I ever expected. Only Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Smash Bros Brawl have satisfied me to a similar extent, but there were still minor flaws that left me wishing something had been fixed. No More Heroes was filled with awesome, but it was a lot like a piece of candy, short, spectacular while it lasted, but you still feel hungry at the end.

How many top-tier PS3/X360 games have you played? I'll get flamed for it, but if your expecting the most innovative experiences souly on Wii...Your going to miss out on a lot of great games this generation.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

For me it is not so much a loss of impressiveness as it is the fact that it was never impressive to begin with. This is by far the most pathetic and boring console gen in my lifetime and the very first time I've waited for this long (and it'll be quite a bit longer) before I get a console.
I have my PC but it saddens me that the big three fail to spike my enthusiasm, there are certainly high points but not nearly numerous or high enough to make me make a purchase.

gebx said:
mrstickball said:
Kylie - The reason you've been unimpressed is that you don't own a X360 :)

hehe, thats was what I was thinking when I saw his post and then I chuckled when I scrolled down to your response...

I think people forget that a game development has a set finite amount of resources. The more money and time you spend on graphics, the less money and time you spend on story, gameplay, etc.

Look at Lair... imagine if they spent less time/money on improving the graphics? The game wouldn't of needed to be patched months later if they had spent that energy on mechanics.

Too bad with Too Human they could do neither.

mrstickball said:
Kylie - The reason you've been unimpressed is that you don't own a X360 :)

I didn't know MGS4 was on the 360....

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

No and No.

I was never impressed by the PS360 graphics in the first place... and the best part of the Wiimote for me was that it was split into two parts.

mrstickball said:
Grey Acumen said:
Zucas said:

How many top-tier PS3/X360 games have you played? I'll get flamed for it, but if your expecting the most innovative experiences souly on Wii...Your going to miss out on a lot of great games this generation.

Why would you get flamed? It's not as if only the Wii games are worth playing this gen. Sure that the Wii is getting more original ips at the moment than the rival consoles, but the games that are exclusive to hd consoles  (or at least some of them) are really worth playing, that's a given.

Personally, the Wii is the better gaming system for me as i do not care for graphics and such, but every now and again i play on my xbox360 to get some action from the great hd games, and i have just as much fun in the process.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

It's been said before but try the World of Goo demo, that game impressed me and i'll be getting the full version just as soon as i can.

Menago KF said:
mrstickball said:

Why would you get flamed? It's not as if only the Wii games are worth playing this gen. Sure that the Wii is getting more original ips at the moment than the rival consoles, but the games that are exclusive to hd consoles  (or at least some of them) are really worth playing, that's a given.

Personally, the Wii is the better gaming system for me as i do not care for graphics and such, but every now and again i play on my xbox360 to get some action from the great hd games, and i have just as much fun in the process.

I'm certainly not going to flame you for it. I'm just going to point out that I haven't seen a game other than Little Big Planet that even caught my interest for the other platforms. I mean at least with the PS2 there was Psychonauts, Shadows of Colosus, Ico, Soul Reaver, Medieval, DDR, Kingdom Hearts, Katamari Damaci and a couple other pieces that at least peaked my interest.

This time around I've only really seen Little Big Planet, MAYBE MGS4, Orange Box (but I'm more likely to grab that for PC), maybe a few others? Lair might kinda interest me, since a patch is supposed to have fixed the controls now, but i'm just not seeing anything. Tried Gears of War at a friend's place, it just wasn't my thing. Definitely don't see bioshock being my thing, nor every other Dual Analog FPS, nor racing or Sports games. Rachet and Clank MIGHT be kinda cool, but again, I highly doubt that's going to be more than a solid game.

I mean, what else is there? Banjo Kazooie?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Well, there are two issues here. First, watching media clips never does justice to next-gen visuals. Example: all those great MGS4 trailers, which weren't even close to the actual game.

Second, we're only two years into the next-gen cycle (yes, MS released in 05, but this was a year too soon, before the hardware was ready, a mistake for which they paid dearly), so the best is yet to come.