By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PREDICTIONS: How big do you think the DSi will be?

kirby007's thread was locked due to an arguably inappropriate thread title, so I'm recreating it and providing a little something extra to consider.

How big a deal do you believe the new Nintendo DSi will be? How big will its launch turn out?

The DSi is launching in Japan for $20 more than the DS Lite's launch.

The DS Lite launched at ¥16,800, which translates at present to $170.57 USD.

The DSi is going to launch at ¥18,900, exchanging to $191.86 USD.

Additionally, people paid as much as ¥40,000 for the DS Lite when it launched (over $400 USD).

In light of all this, I highly doubt price will be a concern. The questions are (1) is the market too saturated already, and (2) will people see the DSi as being worth buying another DS?

I believe (1) the market is pretty heavily saturated, but only about 1/6 of Japan's total population currently owns a DS, so there's still an enormous amount of people still available, and (2) I'm going to be buying a DSi even though I already own three DS Lites between my wife and me. And I'm a western gamer, in a culture that sees the DS mostly as meant for kids. Japan doesn't look at it that way.

In the other thread, most people were predicting about 200k for launch week. I believe that is grossly underestimating. The PSP 3000 just released in Japan to 170k sales, and by the software numbers, a very large portion of those were people who already owned PSPs (if only 125k software units were sold, and 170k hardware units, and no software is packaged with the hardware, then one would assume therefore that at least 45k of those sales were people who already owned a PSP and games previously).

Lastly, factor in this video. The improvements seem pretty big, especially to a Japanese market.

(note: don't discuss the video in this thread. This thread is only to discuss the DSi's launch potential. Discuss the video here).

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=46276

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

Bigger than the PSP-3000

Bigger than the PS2, or the playstation in general

mM

^ that's a real bold statement :O

about 6 inches maybe? I don't know the exact specifications

Around the Network

Very simply, it will be limited by manufacturing - nothing else. I'm sure it will sell out / close-to sell out for around a year - we might not see the DSi in the west until Xmas '09. Ninty just want to kick-start the Japan market again.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I can't believe they sell the DS for more in Japan than in America. To get games & consoles to come here, they have to abide by all the packaging & language regulations + have to deal with more logistics & have to pay for shipping & yet we North Americans pay cheaper prices than the Japanese.

I guess they get screwed over for liking games too much :(

OT:  I thought new PSP was gonna bomb cause there isn't anything special about it.  This one adds a lot of features so if PSP3000 did well, this is gonna sell like hot cakes.

The DSi Will be Huge ;)

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

it will be big, but seriously many people got DS already so i think it will be similar to the psp 3000

It should about twice what the psp3000 did. Will any important software come out
in time for its launch??

Im sure pokemon will sell even more on the dsi launch

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy