By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Vegan, vegetarian, or Omnivore?

Omnivore, but like sqrl I would say I focus more on meat

Around the Network
Sqrl said:

Humans are by definition omnivores, and thus an omnivore's diet is ideal for health.

With that said I definitely lean more towards the carnivore side =P

Ummmm.  NO.  It is not.  SO wrong.   Yes we are omnivores but as long as you get all the protein you need...it doesn't matter where you get it from.  IDEAL FOR HEALTH = exercise.  Yes I put that at a video game site.  Sorry, I work in the medical field and won't stand for misinformation on health.

im a carnivore

Omnivore :P

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

kabhold said:
Sqrl said:

Humans are by definition omnivores, and thus an omnivore's diet is ideal for health.

Ummmm.  NO.  It is not.  SO wrong.   Yes we are omnivores but as long as you get all the protein you need...it doesn't matter where you get it from.  IDEAL FOR HEALTH = exercise.  Yes I put that at a video game site.  Sorry, I work in the medical field and won't stand for misinformation on health.

So you're telling me that a well balanced diet is not ideal for health?

Could you link to some supporting research? 

Not to be combative (which BTW you are and I really don't appreciate the hostility), but it sort of goes against everything I've ever heard from literally every authority on the matter.  Of course all of them theoretically could be wrong...I hope you understand why I might need a little more than your assertion to buy into it though, no offense.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you're a vegan or some other restrictive diet, let me know if I missed the mark though (wouldn't be the first time).

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
WessleWoggle said:
Sqrl said:

So you're telling me that a well balanced diet is not ideal for health?

Could you link to some supporting research? 

Not to be combative (which BTW you are and I really don't appreciate the hostility), but it sort of goes against everything I've ever heard from literally every authority on the matter.  Of course all of them theoretically could be wrong...I hope you understand why I might need a little more than your assertion to buy into it though, no offense.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you're a vegan or some other restrictive diet, let me know if I missed the mark though (wouldn't be the first time).

A well balanced diet doesn't need meat though, just the nutrients and fats that come from the meat. That being said, it's easier to eat meat for that purpose, and just as healthy.

I agree, but thats just the thing, I never said he had to get it from meat.

All I said was that an omnivore diet was an ideal diet.  and I was told I was ..let me quote:

"SO wrong"

If his entire point was simply that he could get it elsewhere then I think he overreacted a bit.  Of course if thats not his point then I would love to hear/see the data behind him.  I'm always open to new information.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Humans are meant to be omnivores and damned if I'm going to stop just to save a tasty little lamb.

kabhold said:
Sqrl said:

only in the last 50 years has it been possible to survive as a strict vegetarian.  The reason people can now is that we can harvest vitamin b12 from animal/bacterial sources (also possible to synthesis in lab) and add it to cereals/bread/pasta/proccesed vegtable products/etc. Deficiency causes nerve degeneration and irreversible neurological damage, DNA replication problems, anaemia (excessive tiredness, breathlessness, listlessness, pallor, and poor resistance to infection), and blindness due to degeneration of optic nerve.

*side notes:

It is possible to build up stores of this vitamin that last for years.

There are other dietary issues that are also "solved" by supplement enriched foods.

Pescitarian, ie - I eat a little bit of fish every now and again. Won't eat cod, though.

izaaz101 said:
Beja-Beja said:
lightbleeder said:
Vaginarian

If I am what I eat does that make me a pussy? lol

Lol, yes that would make you a "cat".

If eating pussy makes me one then I'm a proud pussy! Although most of them taste reaaally bad there are a few that taste great!