By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Vegan, vegetarian, or Omnivore?

WessleWoggle said:
skip said:

only in the last 50 years has it been possible to survive as a strict vegetarian.  The reason people can now is that we can harvest vitamin b12 from animal/bacterial sources (also possible to synthesis in lab) and add it to cereals/bread/pasta/proccesed vegtable products/etc. Deficiency causes nerve degeneration and irreversible neurological damage, DNA replication problems, anaemia (excessive tiredness, breathlessness, listlessness, pallor, and poor resistance to infection), and blindness due to degeneration of optic nerve.

*side notes:

It is possible to build up stores of this vitamin that last for years.

There are other dietary issues that are also "solved" by supplement enriched foods.

I was going to say exactly this in different words, but I got banned as I was writing it.

Hey I thought you were drunk =P The ban was to prevent you from posting other "stuff" while intoxicated.

Its not often we have people discussing jamming things in their anus when they're sober around here..its usually more of a private thing when you're sober and becomes more of a public thing once you get some booze flowing. I think that is a reasonable assessment..but (pun intended) what do I know?

In any case I'm going way off topic now....

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Pescetarian

Carnivore... don't believe me? Ask my vegan girlfriend.

skip said:
kabhold said:
Sqrl said:

Humans are by definition omnivores, and thus an omnivore's diet is ideal for health.

With that said I definitely lean more towards the carnivore side =P

Ummmm.  NO.  It is not.  SO wrong.   Yes we are omnivores but as long as you get all the protein you need...it doesn't matter where you get it from.  IDEAL FOR HEALTH = exercise.  Yes I put that at a video game site.  Sorry, I work in the medical field and won't stand for misinformation on health.

only in the last 50 years has it been possible to survive as a strict vegetarian.  The reason people can now is that we can harvest vitamin b12 from animal/bacterial sources (also possible to synthesis in lab) and add it to cereals/bread/pasta/proccesed vegtable products/etc. Deficiency causes nerve degeneration and irreversible neurological damage, DNA replication problems, anaemia (excessive tiredness, breathlessness, listlessness, pallor, and poor resistance to infection), and blindness due to degeneration of optic nerve.

*side notes:

It is possible to build up stores of this vitamin that last for years.

There are other dietary issues that are also "solved" by supplement enriched foods.

I'm assuming when you say strict vegetarian you mean vegan, otherwise eggs would be fine for b12.  Just remember it's a way of life, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better or worse for you.

Omnivore.
I balance between meat & veggies.

Around the Network

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian and have been for about seven years. That's no meat (biologically, not Biblically). As a side note, being Catholic, it makes Lent easier.

Pretty strange question. I know I'm going out on a limb here, but if you're secretly a billionaire doing catering research for a massive VGChartz get together where you plan to fly all of us (expenses paid) to an undisclosed tropical location and lavish food and great games upon us, I'd like to make a request.

No roast pork, beef lasagne, chicken burritos, or other varied menu items catering might have prepared for me please. I'd like the "vegetarian meal" that's on offer. Nothing sounds more appetising to me than that. Dogs eat dog food, vegetarians eat vegetarian food. You know, because I'm vegetarian ... and we all have similar taste buds, us vegetarians. I don't care what's in it, obviously. I mean, I choose not to eat meat, so obviously I've used up all of my choosiness there and I'm not choosy at all when it comes to vegetables. In fact, I'll happily gorge myself on whatever senseless combination of sun-dried tomatoes and vegetable sundries people can come up with.

^^^

One huge downside to being vegetarian is that the lack of demand for vegetarian dining, take-away or aeroplane food means your options in situations such as the catering proposition above can be very limited. Happily, a lot of restaurants will do almost any of the items on the menu without the meat if you ask. There are even some restaurants that have little Vs for vegetarian items on the menu. However, there are still restaurants out there with a single item under the heading "Vegetarian", or even caterers with the dreaded "vegetarian meal". Being a vegetarian has certainly changed my outlook on these things, and I do find myself judging an eatery partially on its allowances for vegetarians.

Oh, and realistically, I've eaten a few of the "vegetarian meal" options before. Most of the time they're something Italian with mushrooms, pumpkin, beans or eggplant directly in place of the meat. Then they'll go and throw olives in though. Yuck.

Pizza is a great vegetarian food when eating out. You can have whatever you want on a pizza. And most pizza places around here now do gourmet pizzas, which means like 2-3 very tasty additions to their vegetarian menu. And if you go to big cities, there's even weird vegan pizza, for those weird vegans ;).

Also, being vegetarian is a great way to save money. Meat's very expensive and I avoid the butcher entirely on a fortnightly shop. I'm also far less likely to get food poisoning. I think it's also a bit easier to cook vegetarian (for yourself). There are no cooking times to worry about for most things. It's really a question of how melted you want the cheese, or how crisp you want the broccoli, you know.

@monkeyman40210: I hope you enjoyed my crazy rant. Are you more bored or less bored after reading that?

Omni. Leaving one type of food or the other out is stupid to me, a balanced diet means all types of food.

Will you teach me to football?

Omnivore, but I lean toward the vegetable side of that. Not that I don't like chicken (not fried, lol), but I like potatoes and vegetables much more.

Having baked potatoes and vegetables is under-rated.

DMeisterJ said:
Omnivore, but I lean toward the vegetable side of that. Not that I don't like chicken (not fried, lol), but I like potatoes and vegetables much more.

Having baked potatoes and vegetables is under-rated.

So true!

I don't eat KFC fried chicken, and I also don't eat McDonald's beef (Chicken nuggets are fine for me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

For tens of thousands of years Humans evolved their digestive track while being omnivores, so one would expect that the healthiest diet would be achieved by being an omnivore. Where modern humans have problems is we were (really) not designed to exist on the diet of refined sugars, processed foods, and as much meat and animal products as we now live on.