By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is paying $50 or less year for xbox live really that big of a deal??

CaptDS9E said:
"I like the PSN better"

Mike do you own or have owned a 360? Your games list only shows PS3 stuff on it

Yes, I sold the 360 premium soon after experiencing RRoD (my gf also experienced cramps with the controller) and friends experiencing a varierty of issues. I got 1 month free XBox Live Gold with Gears of War:

I also played Mass Effect more recently on a friend's 360 (but was dissapointed with it).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

so this is less a question more a statment

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

Some reasons besides anticipating Playstation Home why I prefer the PSN.

I know the 360 with its huge headstart has more content available for download, but for me the PSN games available are far more appealing. Warhawk? Super Stardust HD? WipeOut HD? IMO no downloadable 360 games come close to such quality games being offered for download.

My online experiences with Motorstorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, Warhawk have been near flawless. Sometimes the people using headsets and mics sound like Mickey Mouse but I always had very solid gaming performance experiences. I also prefer the overall user interface (store and XMB functionality).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Hey, XBL is cheaper than my GamyFly account (2 games out at once), and I bet the infrastructure for XBL is more expensive to run than GameFly. Those servers and bandwidth are not cheap for this stuff.

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

Its ridiculous to pay for online gaming. I mean its like they accidently reversed Gold and Silver subscription. Why would anyone pay to play online in this day and age.

@STAGE
I lol whenever someone compares Qore to XBL just to make paying for subscriptions look less stupid. Qore is a product not a service. Its a magazine in digital form. There are incentives to buy it such as beta access and early demos but all demos eventually get released for free anyway. And the MAG rumors are still uncomfirmed.

Around the Network

the fact that you have to pay for something that should be free just makes me go mad.

It is when PSN is essentially providing the same basic service (online play) as XBL but charges Nada. Add similar Marketplaces to buy full games, exclusive arcade games, and rent and buy (only on PSN) movies, it gets harder and harder to justify the price that Microsoft charges for XBL.

Especially when online play on the PC, PS3, and Wii are free, paying to play online games on XBOX Live is pretty crappy. It seems more like a measure to help the bottom line, rather than charging for a premium service, especially since Silver XBL members can also download movies, games, and such, all going gold gets you is the ability to play games online. I'd argue a point that the money spent to make people go online is less than the money paid to the numerous studios, Netflix and the like for their content.

With MS getting 50 dollars a person and there being 12 million (gold + silver live subscribers) that's six hundred million dollars a year, again, minus silver members. Since there aren't any real conclusions we can draw of the amount of gold-silver ratio, but let's just assume that only 50 percent of gamers who have XBL accounts are gold. that's 300 million they make for services that are free on every other platform. That's a pretty big deal.

why pay that 10 cents a day when you can play for free?

Stating that a subscription keeps out the idiots, something I've personally seen in my times with Xbox Live to be false, doesn't really pair well with the next argument that Xbox Live is cheap when you see it as $x a month.

So where does this leave somebody like me? I've already had my time of online immaturity back when I was younger playing Counter-Strike that now I hardly care that much about things like using a mic (or hearing somebody else on a mic) in games or clan support. Sure, I'll keep in touch with people I've met in games, but I don't really care enough to justify paying money for it. So moving on, that only leaves trying to justify the price tag of Xbox Live to get permission from Microsoft to play games online (even in P2P).

No, I'm content with the PSN even if it takes longer to get features similar to Xbox Live. I'm also content with the PC because I can do similar (or even the same) things as I could on Xbox Live for free and PC gamers have already shown their disdain in paying for Windows Live, which is now free.

The online play itself should be free, but charge for the advanced online features xbox is known for. A free user should be able to hop online and have fun, but if they want the full "live experience" they pay a premium. Knowing microsoft they'd take this too far and probably prevent free users from using headsets.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka