By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Next Blizzard MMO won't be Warcraft

Blizzard CEO Says Next MMO Definitely Not WarCraft

If you were still holding out hope, WarCraft fans, here's your definitive answer.

By Kat Bailey, 10/17/2008

We've all heard it before, but at this point World of WarCraft has done so well that it could probably become a functioning, autonomous nation. But what about Blizzard's next massively multiplayer game?

Well, according to Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime, it's definitely not going to be set in Azeroth and surrounding locales. In an interview with Wired, Morhaime said, "We're not trying to replace World of Warcraft with this new MMO. We're trying to create a different massively multiplayer experience, and hopefully World of Warcraft will still be going strong when that one is released."

Pretty as most people expected. Nobody wants to give up that Level 70 Night Elf that they've been working on since 2005. But what could that mysterious new MMO be? We're keeping our fingers crossed for World of Rock 'n Roll Racing. How about you?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm really happy to hear them say that since I really want Warcraft to go back to its RTS roots and stop with the MMO BS, but at the same time I really don't want to see Diablo or Starcraft suffer the same fate as the Warcraft universe.....

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

please stop blizzard before you lose every bit of respect i had for you.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

It will most-likely be World of Starcraft or World of Diablo, but with AoC graphics, but it will actualy excel, lol.

Though they could surprise us and give us something totally different.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

johnsobas said:
please stop blizzard before you lose every bit of respect i had for you.

You still have some respect left ?

Even though I am not (particularly) amazed by what Mythic has done with Warhammer, I can honestly say that the game has made me really excited about what kind of MMO games we will be able to see in the next couple of years.

Of all games on the market today, MMO games are the most limited by available processing power. The processing power (in particular) that has been limiting these games has been server-side processing power because, when you’re trying to create an environment for 1000+ users, each user can only get a tiny-portion of available processing power.

World of Warcraft was impressive for its time because it provided a rich environment which was (about) as dynamic as an early 90s PC RPG … NPCs could walk around a little bit (for example), and create an environment that didn’t feel amazingly stale. Warhammer takes this to the next level and the world is becoming more dynamic and interesting.

Over the next couple of years, server hardware will get to the point where a MMO can have the level of dynamic and rich environment that only (really) started to become possible with previous generation consoles and the PCs of their time. With a company (like Blizzard) who can polish a game to an absolute glistening shine you should be able to get some really impressive games.

Around the Network

I want Starcraft Galaxies now. :3

Pixel Art can be fun.

I just want StarCraft 2 to finally come out ^_^

I love how you Blizzard haters never get tired!!! OVER 10 MILLION PEOPLE are in WOW...THE GAME DOESN'T SUX, and just because you might not like MMO...oh nvm...Blizzard hasn't missed in all these years, and I don't expect then to either, anytime soon.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder