By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Play Magazine Enters "Lair", Wants to Have Its Babies

Bodhesatva said:
roadkillers said:
Didnt the company that made Lair say that there gunna stop supporting Sony or am I just misunderstanding stuff?

Pretty sure you're wrong road. I think Factor 5 is still on board for the PS3. 

Yeah Sony is the publisher, so that means it's their money at stake. Plus the guys over at Factor 5 said some pretty good things about working with the PS3, don't think they would abandon it now.

I really hope we get this demo soon, if next week then it's coming with Heavenly Sword demo and I'll be busy for awhile =)

Around the Network

Wow, I left for work and Bodhesatva completely took control of this thread. I guess he wins or something. I liked the Shadowrun example that got brought up about how PC owners were slaughtered by the people on consoles. I will concede one thing to the PC, RTS's will ALWAYS be better. The console just can't compete there.

When it comes to anything else though, the console can have equal or better controls. Traditional RPG's for instance feel akward on the PC as do many platforming or action/adventure games. Not all of them do, but they feel more natural on the console according to me and the majority of gamers who buy those games on consoles.

I think the whole point was for Bodhesatva to indirectly insult both the PS3/360. Way to be a troll. I used to have respect for him, but every time I see him post now I am just more and more annoyed and disregard what he has to say. Its fine to have favorite systems, that is pretty normal, but to shove it down other people's throats is unnecessary.

PC gaming literally costs about 3-6 times as much as console gaming (assuming you don't pirate on either system and given that console lifetimes are about 5 years and PC lifetimes are 1-3 years). Very few people these days are willing to pay that premium.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

He'd troll less if people didn't bring up that damn price argument all the time.

If you paid the same price as just the PS3 console alone, you could build yourself a decent computer, one with graphics comparable to a little worse than PS3 and 360...just a tiny, tiny bit worse. But it excels in soo many other areas...PCs are not just for gaming...I'm much more willing to drop $800 for a PC than $500 for a PS3, because it excels in multi-tasking, burning, browsing, gaming, you name it.

The games themselves may often be better on consoles...but the PC has its fair share of exclusives and ports that pretty much rock due to the PC's graphics capabilities...and you DON'T need to pay over $1000 for a game to look like a PS3 game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
He'd troll less if people didn't bring up that damn price argument all the time.

If you paid the same price as just the PS3 console alone, you could build yourself a decent computer, one with graphics comparable to a little worse than PS3 and 360...just a tiny, tiny bit worse. But it excels in soo many other areas...PCs are not just for gaming...I'm much more willing to drop $800 for a PC than $500 for a PS3, because it excels in multi-tasking, burning, browsing, gaming, you name it.

The games themselves may often be better on consoles...but the PC has its fair share of exclusives and ports that pretty much rock due to the PC's graphics capabilities...and you DON'T need to pay over $1000 for a game to look like a PS3 game.

Yeah, but a console is a 5 year investment, whereas every time a new big FPS comes out you need to upgrade if you want to play it. Right now I'm stuck with AGP so if I want to upgrade I'll have to spend more on the budget card or get the complete CPU/RAM/Motherboard/graphics card overhaul. That's at least the price of a PS3 and I wouldn't be able to play Crysis most likely.

You are definitely right about burning and such, though.

I will point out that FPS and RTS have no advantage on the PC if the PS3 uses keyboard/mouse except perhaps resolutions over 1080p which aren't common still (it's higher than 1600x1200). 

windbane, you can get an AGP version of pretty much every video card in existance -except for the newest ...

you can get a nvidia 7950 to an ati 1950 in agp...

using a build your own method(you buy the parts and assemble it yourself), you can build a computer that is equal or better than a ps3 for 500 dollars.

it will have 2 gig ram, a 250gig hdd. a current- lower end- cpu, and a current gen video card that is at least as powerful as the video component in the ps3.

it is all in how you allocate your purchases and buy the quality tier 2 gear for the lower price.

i should know i build my and my family's computers all the time, and RARELY spend more than 400-600 dollars- for a computer that will play all current games (well except for the dx10/vista only ones,,)

Around the Network

Not to rain on anyone's parade but Play Magazine is known for being pretty easy on games and the fact they were the first to be given a copy of Lair to review would make me a little nervous if I were someone waiting for the game to be released (don't get me wrong I like the magazine but the reviews are it's weakest part and I'm also not saying Lair is bad just that we have to be cautious until more reviews come out).

Here's for example is Play Magazine's review score for Ninety-Nine Nights compared to other media outlets
(From Game Rankings...)

lenardo said:
windbane, you can get an AGP version of pretty much every video card in existance -except for the newest ...

you can get a nvidia 7950 to an ati 1950 in agp...

using a build your own method(you buy the parts and assemble it yourself), you can build a computer that is equal or better than a ps3 for 500 dollars.

it will have 2 gig ram, a 250gig hdd. a current- lower end- cpu, and a current gen video card that is at least as powerful as the video component in the ps3.

it is all in how you allocate your purchases and buy the quality tier 2 gear for the lower price.

i should know i build my and my family's computers all the time, and RARELY spend more than 400-600 dollars- for a computer that will play all current games (well except for the dx10/vista only ones,,)

I was looking at cheap AGP cards and the cheapest ones that are decent are $30 more than the PCI Express versions.  Not sure I want to spend $90 on an outdated card.

If you get quality budget stuff you'll spend about $100 for CPU, RAM, motherboard, GPU, and HD.  That's $500, yes, but that will only last you until the games that came out several months ago.  It's already outdated when you get it.

Granted, I plan to do that instead of getting a 360.  There are more 360 games than the PS3 that are also on the PC that I want to play.  That should speed my computer up for a few years.  However, Mass Effect needs to go to the PC so I'm no longer tempted to wait for M$ to drop the price and actually fix the console.

Legend11:  I think you could find a similar example for every single reviewer.   It's generally different for every game.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - PS3

Avg Ratio: 88% Your Favorites:   
Interested Own It Own & Finished It Want It New Finished It    

Only Sites in Bold are used to calculate the Average Score used in the Rankings.
 Articles   - -1 On File
AVERAGE RATIO: 88.3% - (88.6%)
Site Name / Link
Article
Date
Rating
Ratio

7/3/2007
5 out of 5
100.0%

7/17/2007
9.5 out of 10
95.0%
 GamePro

7/3/2007
4.75 out of 5
95.0%

7/13/2007
93 out of 100
93.0%
 IGN

6/29/2007
9.3 out of 10
93.0%

7/10/2007
9.2 out of 10
92.0%

7/9/2007
4.6 out of 5
92.0%
 PSM Magazine

8/1/2007
9 out of 10
90.0%

7/20/2007
9 out of 10
90.0%

7/17/2007
9 out of 10
90.0%

7/9/2007
9 out of 10
90.0%
 1UP

7/3/2007
9 out of 10
90.0%
 PSW Magazine UK

7/3/2007
9 out of 10
90.0%

7/2/2007
9 out of 10
90.0%
 Game Informer

7/1/2007
9 out of 10
90.0%
 Hardcore Gamer Magazine

7/1/2007
4.5 out of 5
90.0%
 Playstation Official Magazine UK

7/1/2007
9 out of 10
90.0%
 Play UK

7/1/2007
88 out of 100
88.0%
 Electronic Gaming Monthly

7/1/2007
8.67 out of 10
86.7%
 Play Magazine

7/1/2007
8.5 out of 10
85.0%
 Games Master UK

8/1/2007
83 out of 100
83.0%
 PSM3 Magazine UK

8/1/2007
80 out of 100
80.0%

7/10/2007
8 out of 10
80.0%

7/3/2007
4 out of 5
80.0%

7/6/2007
7 out of 10
70.0%

LeroyBrown said:
kber81 said:

@ Bodhesatva

Let's say we are both happy with our choices. Your arguments against PS3 just pissed me off a bit.

BTW:

You can use mouse and keyboard with PS3 too. I think every "real" FPS's gamer will buy it for Unreal III.

Wouldn't "real" FPS gamers just play it on the computer irregardless? Sure the Ps3 is cheaper from a certain perspective, easier to achieve higher graphics and I agree the keyboard and mouse is an excellent option but if you're going to talk "real" FPS gamers, wouldn't the PC will always be the medium of choice no matter how much better the PS3 can do graphics? I fail to see how an relatively unpopular gaming device (no matter how well it does FPSs) could ever hold a candle to a machine of utility, familiarity and adaptability such as a PC for "real" FPS gamers.

It's not just the issue of using keyboard and mouse.

Pro gamers use the PC because there are three significant factors that trump over consoles any day:

- You are not limited to a set resolution

- You are not limited to a set framerate

- You are not limited to a set level of graphics quality

These points work to the benefit of a pro gamer on a PC. You can set your resolution to very high settings which gives you more precision in aiming. You can upgrade your equipment and/or lower visual quality to support higher framerates.

Most console owners are proud of having 30 or 60fps on their FPS, touting that number like it's the holy grail of FPS framerates. I have cases where (as an example) UT2K3, set at 1600x1200 with full detail, runs at around 266fps on Antara, one of the most demanding levels due to the exterior environment - and this is actually quite common with PCs.

Higher frame rates gives you a much higher sample rate from which to frag people with (if you only run at 60fps, you have 60 times a second from which the computer will respond to your input, while with higher frame rates you can literally pull the trigger faster than your enemy, even if he responds quicker than you do - this is especially true if you are playing with InstaGib).

Finally, you can strip your graphics settings to the lowest and gain a significant framerate boost. Why would you do this? Well, if you are competing, it's not the eye candy you are interested in - it's the numbers and results you can accrue. Therefore, if lowering your visual quality can net you significant increases in frame rates which lead to better frag rates, then so be it! These options do not normally make their way to consoles, and for these reasons the PC remains the de facto standard to game professionally on, especially when it comes to FPSs.

your mother said:
LeroyBrown said:
kber81 said:

@ Bodhesatva

Let's say we are both happy with our choices. Your arguments against PS3 just pissed me off a bit.

BTW:

You can use mouse and keyboard with PS3 too. I think every "real" FPS's gamer will buy it for Unreal III.

Wouldn't "real" FPS gamers just play it on the computer irregardless? Sure the Ps3 is cheaper from a certain perspective, easier to achieve higher graphics and I agree the keyboard and mouse is an excellent option but if you're going to talk "real" FPS gamers, wouldn't the PC will always be the medium of choice no matter how much better the PS3 can do graphics? I fail to see how an relatively unpopular gaming device (no matter how well it does FPSs) could ever hold a candle to a machine of utility, familiarity and adaptability such as a PC for "real" FPS gamers.

It's not just the issue of using keyboard and mouse.

Pro gamers use the PC because there are three significant factors that trump over consoles any day:

- You are not limited to a set resolution

- You are not limited to a set framerate

- You are not limited to a set level of graphics quality

These points work to the benefit of a pro gamer on a PC. You can set your resolution to very high settings which gives you more precision in aiming. You can upgrade your equipment and/or lower visual quality to support higher framerates.

Most console owners are proud of having 30 or 60fps on their FPS, touting that number like it's the holy grail of FPS framerates. I have cases where (as an example) UT2K3, set at 1600x1200 with full detail, runs at around 266fps on Antara, one of the most demanding levels due to the exterior environment - and this is actually quite common with PCs.

Higher frame rates gives you a much higher sample rate from which to frag people with (if you only run at 60fps, you have 60 times a second from which the computer will respond to your input, while with higher frame rates you can literally pull the trigger faster than your enemy, even if he responds quicker than you do - this is especially true if you are playing with InstaGib).

Finally, you can strip your graphics settings to the lowest and gain a significant framerate boost. Why would you do this? Well, if you are competing, it's not the eye candy you are interested in - it's the numbers and results you can accrue. Therefore, if lowering your visual quality can net you significant increases in frame rates which lead to better frag rates, then so be it! These options do not normally make their way to consoles, and for these reasons the PC remains the de facto standard to game professionally on, especially when it comes to FPSs.

Seems to me you just made the case for consoles because it's an even playing field.