By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Capcom: PS3 "Sluggish", PSP Underachieving

FishyJoe said:
After Gundam Musou launched, Bandai said they were disappointed with the poor sales.

WOW! And it was and is till this day the best selling PS3 game in Japan!

Btw: Didn't Bandai-Namco expect like ~500k sales... To make up for dev costs?!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

Sony is in a bit of a predicament. They need big games to spur sales but they need sales to make companies want games on their system. The big titles are a ways off so many are holding of purchasing. The problem is, the longer it takes for these games to come out, the more likely devs are going to look else where. The other problem is that it's one thing to spend $300 for a game you really want. It's a whole nother thing to spend $500-$600 for a game you really want. Will people decide that it's simply not worth spending that kind of money on a PS3 just so they can play FFXIII? Especially if there are some really good RPGs coming for the other systems. I think MGS is their first game that will really test the waters. It getting pushed to 2008 certainly hasn't helped matters.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

StarcraftManiac said:
FishyJoe said:
After Gundam Musou launched, Bandai said they were disappointed with the poor sales.

WOW! And it was and is till this day the best selling PS3 game in Japan!

Btw: Didn't Bandai-Namco expect like ~500k sales... To make up for dev costs?!

Namco said that it needed 500,000 copies sold in order to break even on a next-generation game ...

Koei (who were partners on the game) expected sales in Japan in the 2 Million range while Namco had more moderate predictions of 1 Million sales

FishyJoe said:

http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Capcom_Label_PS3__PSP_Underachieving_11864_3307_0.htm

Capcom Label PS3 "Sluggish", PSP Underachieving

Capcom's post-financials Q&A unleashes a poor evaluation of Sony's consoles...

In a belated translation of Capcom's Q&A following the company's latest financials, the Japanese publisher labelled PlayStation3 sales as "sluggish" and in a double-pronged attack claimed the "PSP hasn't achieved the numbers expected."

Perhaps a reminder of why the Japanese publisher has adopted a multi-format development policy regarding titles such as Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, it's worth noting that Capcom have created one of the most successful titles to appear on the PSP in the shape of the Monster Hunter series.

Btw: What do they mean with 'PSP Underachieving?!'

PSP is selling pretty good really!... I mean... It's doing what, ~110k a month! already at Gamecube levels and still selling strong! It still has about 2 years of healthy lifetime to go! So i don't understand that complaint! PS3 on the other hand is fully true! But PSP?! DS is in a league of it's own! A monster that cannot be stopped! And didn't Capcom have Monster hunter portable for PSP?! OF which the first got to 850k in Japan and the 2nd at 1.05 mil?! I think that is a big succes! So i don't understand the PSP fuzz :-S... PSP is a healthy Portable system! Fact!

THE NETHERLANDS

Soriku said:
Haha? Anyway more Jap devs moving away from Sony it seems.

I think that you might be on to somethin there Soriku.  A quick scan of Capcom's website shows that they seem to prefer casual gaming over "bigger" games.  So, regardless of sales, I think that Capcom would be wise to move to Nintendo for the most part.

Around the Network

6/10 user score!!!
That is a shock even for me.
On topic, I love Capcom. They are not like Square soft (deceased) or Konami, they know when to quit and even so they support all kinds of consoles. Do not blame Capcom for showing the middle finger to PS3, blame Sony. It is a similar event to RE4 GC exclusivity.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

StarcraftManiac said:
leo-j said:
Capcom is getting at my last nerve, they said a long time ago when the roumer that DMC4 was headed to the 360, they said it will "never" in its life time head to the x360, but they lied, and now they are bashing sony's console. I understand that by sluggsih they mean the 256mb ram slowing down the framerate and load speeds, but they just dont know how to use the spu's. I hate them. Just as much as I am starting to hate SCEA.

U and hate SCEA?! Wtf?! I thought u were Sony4life or something like that?!

I used to be nintendo for life, SCEA aint given shit on the ps store, and SCEE and SCEJ give lots of music videos, games and demos on there store, but noo we get shit, all we get is stupid movie traielrs. All I do is fold wit ma ps3, if not play old ps2 games.

mM

Sony 4 life!!! lmao!!

mM

Capcon are idiots, Mh franchise sold millions where ?

They should be honest and say DMC went multi cause Heavenly Sword was gonna kill our sales.

StarcraftManiac said:

Btw: What do they mean with 'PSP Underachieving?!'

It's underacheiving when far too many analysts and fanboys said it would be the end of Nintendo as a hardware company.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.