By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Capcom: PS3 "Sluggish", PSP Underachieving

HappySqurriel said:
Bodhesatva said:
elprincipe said:
albionus said:
I laugh everytime I hear Sony fanboys react to another 3rd party pulling away from Sony by saying, "who cares, I haven't liked their games since X". It reminds me of all the Nintendo fanboys saying the same thing back in the N64/Cube days. I thought that was idiotic then and I think it's idiotic today.

Really, this stuff is absolutely hilarious. Remember when Microsoft bought Rare, and the Nintendo fans who trolled message boards far and wide with praise for Rare and games like Perfect Dark, Conker, Donkey Kong 64, etc. suddenly started disowning them, saying they hadn't made anything good since Goldeneye and they were glad to be rid of them? Fanboys are always good for a laugh in a ridiculous sort of way (see: PSTriple).

Yep, anyone who thinks Nintendo fans are somehow immune to such fanboyism are silly.

Although (in defence of the Nintendo fans) on many message boards before the news came out there were tons of postings about whether Rare would return to their previous level of greatness. Banjo Kazooie was generally considered far better than Banjo Twooie and Donkey Kong 64, Jetforce Gemini and Conkers Bad Fur Day were flops, and Perfect Dark was very good but was delayed several times and stuck very close to the Goldeneye formula.

People were praising Rare mainly because they thought that a lot of their problems were caused by the loss of key staff members when Zoonami and Free Radical were created. The bashing of Rare afterwords was partially from frustration of losing Rare to Microsoft and partially honest comments; rare was taking forever to release games and when released they were not having the impact of previous Rareware games (see. Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero)

Free radical is to me (FPS wise; Timesplitters 2 and future perfect... And kinda Second sight but that was more a 3th person psychic shooter) what Rare was back in the day! (Referring to Goldeneye on the N64 and in less way to Perfect dark on the N64).

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Diomedes1976 said:
By the way ,just as the haters say developers go away from PS3 I see more PS3 games announced that everything else .Just from the last days

Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei )
Nob Nob Boy (Konami )
Valkyrie of the Battlefield (Sega )
Tears of Tiaria (Nippon Ichi )
Disgaea 3 (Nippon Ichi )
Loco Roco (Sony )
Imabikisou (Sega )
Megazone 23:Blue Garland
Railfan Taiwan
Vampire Rain Altered Species

Etc etc ......

I'll put it to you another way then ... There are roughly 80 third party Wii games that remain to be released in 2007 while there are roughly 50 third party PS3 games  that remain to be released in 2007. Before E3 2006 there was no doubt in developer's minds that the PS3 was going to dominate (and many expected the Wii to fail) and today more games are being released for the Wii than the PS3.

I doubt it .This would happen it those machines were the same .But I am telling you something ,most developers wont throw to the trash can their expensive development kits ,cut their developing budgets and fire half their development staff just because the Wii is a success and needs lowers inputs  .Progress slowly put aside the least advanced machines ,if it wasnt like that the PC developers would still be considering 64Mb GPu as the target for their games .

Diomedes1976 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Diomedes1976 said:
By the way ,just as the haters say developers go away from PS3 I see more PS3 games announced that everything else .Just from the last days

Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei )
Nob Nob Boy (Konami )
Valkyrie of the Battlefield (Sega )
Tears of Tiaria (Nippon Ichi )
Disgaea 3 (Nippon Ichi )
Loco Roco (Sony )
Imabikisou (Sega )
Megazone 23:Blue Garland
Railfan Taiwan
Vampire Rain Altered Species

Etc etc ......

I'll put it to you another way then ... There are roughly 80 third party Wii games that remain to be released in 2007 while there are roughly 50 third party PS3 games  that remain to be released in 2007. Before E3 2006 there was no doubt in developer's minds that the PS3 was going to dominate (and many expected the Wii to fail) and today more games are being released for the Wii than the PS3.

I doubt it .This would happen it those machines were the same .But I am telling you something ,most developers wont throw to the trash can their expensive development kits ,cut their developing budgets and fire half their development staff just because the Wii is a success and needs lowers inputs  .Progress slowly put aside the least advanced machines ,if it wasnt like that the PC developers would still be considering 64Mb GPu as the target for their games .

Obviously publishers aren't going to say "I know we have spent $25,000,000 producing Eternal Speculative Fiction 12 and it is 90% complete, but the Wii is popular so scrap the game!"

What is happening is development resources are being shifted towards the Wii as they become available or can be made available. Basically (with how things have ben going currently) as games like Gundam Musou end up being disapointments companies like Namco Bandai are very likely going to take those (now available) resources and shift them to the Wii. Unless the PS3 becomes a far more viable platform very quickly, it is far more likely that resources will be shifted towards the Wii from the PS3 than shifted from the PS3 to the Wii; over time this will mean that the Wii will go from having 1.5 times as many third party titles to 2 and eventually 4 or 5 times as many titles.

Third parties will still produce XBox 360, PS3, and PC titles but the bulk of their development could eventually be focused on the wii

Diomedes1976 said:

But I am telling you something ,most developers wont throw to the trash can their expensive development kits ,cut their developing budgets and fire half their development staff just because the Wii is a success and needs lowers inputs .

You have no idea. The developers would do  this without hesitation, because two independend developments for the price of one would allow a better risk management.

The software developers only look at the possible income and the risk involved in a project. They don't really developfor fun burt to get more money than they might loose. Especially the PS-3 is in this cvase in a rather brutal situation. Normal procedures to decrease the development coasts are considerably hampered on this plattform. If you still want toiuse tzhese methods you simply skip a considerable amount of power.

The Xbox 360 is less troubloesome and its code base can also be used to improve the PC-Versions especially for slower systems. 

Diomedes1976 said:
DoesWhatNintenDont said:

I do think it should be kept in mind:

It takes two to three YEARS to fully develop a game for the PS3. Many developers, much like the great fortune tellers ((read: analysts), all thought PS3 was a shoe in for first place thus holding the largest marketshare value.

So many of the games we are seeing being produced exclusively for the PS3 have been in production for quite some time. The companies aren't going to just toss away those -years- of work, simply due to the poor numbers on the PS3 account. They will push their product on PS3, and see how it fairs, with the most likely option of porting it to the 360, if PS3 numbers remain dead last, as to expand possible user base for their product.

The key issue is not what is in production, but rather, how many new things have been announced and have just started production? All of the financial news tells us that the vast majority of the third party developers are setting sail with the Wii.

It takes two to 3 years to fully develop a top level game for the PS3 ,thats true .And for the X360 .And for the PC even.Wii games with a lot of work will also need some 2 years of development ,just as Twilight Princess was 3 years in development .Other thing is the minigames and sub-par games we are seeing on the Wii right now ,ports from the PS2 ,PSP ,DS and Cube most of them.Or quick movie cash-ins  (also done in pS3 and 360 ) .Those it is easy to make them ,but are we really wishing that WINS the battle of the software of the future ?

The vast majority of the new games are being announced for the PS3 every day .Show me one new title announced these last months that wont have a PS3 version .At least they can port the PC-360 games with a moderate cost to the PS3 ,a thing the Wii cant do at all .

It's not the fact that new games are announcced, but how long, or when, they started development. Most games for the PS3 started production before the system ever launched. Few games are starting development after the PS3's launch. And a lot of PSA3 games are either multi platform or are being ported to the 360.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Bodhesatva said:
elprincipe said:
albionus said:
I laugh everytime I hear Sony fanboys react to another 3rd party pulling away from Sony by saying, "who cares, I haven't liked their games since X". It reminds me of all the Nintendo fanboys saying the same thing back in the N64/Cube days. I thought that was idiotic then and I think it's idiotic today.

Really, this stuff is absolutely hilarious. Remember when Microsoft bought Rare, and the Nintendo fans who trolled message boards far and wide with praise for Rare and games like Perfect Dark, Conker, Donkey Kong 64, etc. suddenly started disowning them, saying they hadn't made anything good since Goldeneye and they were glad to be rid of them? Fanboys are always good for a laugh in a ridiculous sort of way (see: PSTriple).

Yep, anyone who thinks Nintendo fans are somehow immune to such fanboyism are silly.

Although (in defence of the Nintendo fans) on many message boards before the news came out there were tons of postings about whether Rare would return to their previous level of greatness. Banjo Kazooie was generally considered far better than Banjo Twooie and Donkey Kong 64, Jetforce Gemini and Conkers Bad Fur Day were flops, and Perfect Dark was very good but was delayed several times and stuck very close to the Goldeneye formula.

People were praising Rare mainly because they thought that a lot of their problems were caused by the loss of key staff members when Zoonami and Free Radical were created. The bashing of Rare afterwords was partially from frustration of losing Rare to Microsoft and partially honest comments; rare was taking forever to release games and when released they were not having the impact of previous Rareware games (see. Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero)

Personally I feel Rare were always overrated. I thought (and still think) Donkey Kong Country is an average game, as is Perfect Dark, and that Donkey Kong 64 and Conker are poor games. Goldeneye is excellent though, even though I'm not a big FPS fan I enjoyed that one. But my point still stands obviously.

EDIT: I should probably say overrated since the SNES days.  They did some great, great classic NES games, like Wizards & Warriors, RC Pro Am and a ton of others that are still a blast to play to this day.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

to each its own.....capcom just expected better sales of the ps3 thats all... dont see what all the hoopla and fussing is for on this thread... are they still supporting the ps3 in the japan market yes... sluggish or not they still support it and have to support it in the japan market especially so end of conversation...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

HappySqurriel said:
Bodhesatva said:
elprincipe said:
albionus said:

Although (in defence of the Nintendo fans) on many message boards before the news came out there were tons of postings about whether Rare would return to their previous level of greatness. Banjo Kazooie was generally considered far better than Banjo Twooie and Donkey Kong 64, Jetforce Gemini and Conkers Bad Fur Day were flops, and Perfect Dark was very good but was delayed several times and stuck very close to the Goldeneye formula.

People were praising Rare mainly because they thought that a lot of their problems were caused by the loss of key staff members when Zoonami and Free Radical were created. The bashing of Rare afterwords was partially from frustration of losing Rare to Microsoft and partially honest comments; rare was taking forever to release games and when released they were not having the impact of previous Rareware games (see. Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero)

Speaking as a former Rare fan, I was only mildly disappointed in their departure from Nintendo for the reasons you cite. I loved Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Quest (it's failure was the result of timing more than anything) and of course Goldeneye. However, Perfect Dark and Banjo Tooie,which I enjoyed, were not as good as their predecessors. Jet Force Gemini left me cold, as did DK64. By the time Star Fox Adventures was released, I was glad to see them go. I figured their loss of quality was either 1) loss of key personnell, or 2) interference by Nintendo on project such as Dinosaur Planet/SFA. It was my hope that the latter was the primary culprit, and a change of venue with fewer restrictions would benefit them. Alas, it was not to be so, and given the results of Grabbed by the Ghoulies and PD Zero, Nintendo got thebetter end of the deal.