Holiday Qtr
~12.15M ~5.80M ~5.18M
YET '08
~25.72M ~12.58M ~10.47M
LTD Jan 1st '09 ~44.93M ~21.44M ~26.29M
Bold=Factual Numbers
Italic=40% Rule Prediction
Normal=Derivative of Prediction

Looking at my data I also want to add that the Wii could be as high as ~13.21M in the holiday quarter based on past holidays where consoles have had supply constraints. The 40% rule seems to change to the 42.5% rule in these cases, but its not conclusive just yet.  We will see if this holds again but if it does it would mean a ~46.00M LTD on Jan 1st '09. 

On the other hand there have been a few strange holidays where consoles underperform this mark as low as 37% which would mean a ~10.98M holiday quarter and would mean a  ~43.76M LTD on Jan 1st '09. 

And yes I know a 2.24M range is pretty big and all, but I'm just basing this on existing patterns so its really not even my prediction so much as an application of history.

If you want my guesstimation only predictions I will go with:
Wii - 45.3m
PS3 - 21.8M
360 - 26.5

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Veggie said:
Chrizum said:
Veggie said:
So according to that and then your sig, Nintendo will sell 4.5 million Wii's on January 1st.

That, or my sig is a prediction I made months ago...

So take it down.

You're a guy listening to Celine Dion. Don't tell me what to do.

The Wii is not going to reach 150 million sales. It's honestly just not popular enough.
And do you think people are going to wait months and years to get stock? No, because the 8th generation comes in 4 years. In these 2 years the Wii has sold around 33 million consoles. That's 16.5 million a year. 16.5 million times six is equal to 99 million. And this is if it keeps its momentum as the other consoles get cheaper and more desirable.

I'm not saying it won't come first. It will, but not by the 100 million margin that people are expecting.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
The Wii is not going to reach 150 million sales. It's honestly just not popular enough.
And do you think people are going to wait months and years to get stock? No, because the 8th generation comes in 4 years. In these 2 years the Wii has sold around 33 million consoles. That's 16.5 million a year. 16.5 million times six is equal to 99 million. And this is if it keeps its momentum as the other consoles get cheaper and more desirable.

I'm not saying it won't come first. It will, but not by the 100 million margin that people are expecting.

Compare its sales to the PS2.

seece said:
Kantor said:

At the start of 2009:

1) Wii- 40 million
2) X360- 23 million
3) PS3- 20 million

1) DS- 93 million
2) PSP- 41 million

At the end of the 7th Gen:

1) Wii- 87 million
2) PS3- 73 million
3) X360- 68 million

1) DS- 130 million
2) PSP- 60 million

What the hell are you smoking? you think from now until christmas the 360 is only going to sell 1.5 mill units when last christmas it did over 4mill?

I guess it was a little exaggerated, but still.

Last year, HD-DVD was still (kind of) alive, the PS3 had some 5 great games, and there was no economic crisis.

And its holiday lineup consists of GeOW 2 and Fable 2. Not as good as Pacific Rift, a release of BioShock (which I admit will not do much), Resistance 2 and LBP in the eyes of many.

Also, Blu-ray is now the dominant format. I do admit that 20 million is a little optimistic, but that's what I predict.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

See sig for end 2008 prediction.

End 2009:
Wii: 70 million
PS3: 35 million
360: 35 million

End gen:
Wii: 140 million
PS3: 55 million
360: 50 million

Note to everyone that thinks the PS3 has even the slightest chance of coming close to Wii:

At the end of 2008 (after only 2 years) Wii will be ahead by some 20 million, without a single pricecut. We can consider the PS3 to be around its highest selling year in 2009, but so is Wii. Unless you think a scenario where PS3 will suddenly sell in Wii-like numbers (higher than PS2 ever did) to be feasible, in combination with a sudden drop in Wii sales, Wii will be ahead by 30 million or more end 2009.

People don't see, or don't want to see, the historic levels at which the Wii is selling. PS3 will never sell better than PS2 did, but it needs to, to even come close to Wii's sales levels.

The PS3-10-year-plan is a myth. The install base and cost of development alone will cause that in a few years no major games will be developed for PS3 anymore, when the next-gen starts. Not only that, Sony will have to develop games for their next system in order to compete with Microsoft, who will for sure launch somewhere near 2011. The next xbox will be massively more powerfull than PS3 and if Sony doesn't answer they run the risk of being overwhelmed by Microsoft again.

BHR-3 said:
end of 08

Wii-40.5
360-25.8
PS3-21.5
don't care 4 portables

End of gen
PS3-105
Wii-95
360-63

Lol.  You Sony fans really crack me up.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

BHR-3 said:
mesoteto said:
^hahahaahahahahaahah good one

there is no way the ps3 will outsell the wii.....no way

it will when wii2 is out and ps3 is still on stores shelves much like ps2 is still doing to xb and gc

Lol.  I'm at work at present so try not to make too many funny jokes so people don't start wondering what I am laughing at.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Actually the fact that WII can get bored out / not very popular THERE is a chance Xbox or PS3 can reach it. Well....... atleast PS3 XD.

I find it highly unlikely so ill stick to :

Wii
PS3
Xbox

A closer gap between PS3 & Wii then right now though.

Oh come on, no one's posted the retard in the party hat yet?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"