By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Fable 2 flop as well?

Cheebee said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Cheebee said:
It probably will. Seeing how bad the 1st game did, I can't imagine the second one selling more. Why would it? If anything, it'd sell less. Also, review scores mean nothing. Certainly not good sales.

I think you might be wrong on all of your points there. If I made a post that was the opposite of right, it would be yours, for example.

How bad did the first game do, again?

Right.. well maybe the 1st game didn't do that bad, compared to some other games, but before it came out, Fable was made out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It was supposed to revolutionize RPGs and gaming as a whole and present an unprecedented level of freedom and immersion. Well, erm, it didn't. A lot of people were expecting those kind of things, but didn't get them. So.. if they'd been disappointed by version 1, why buy version 2? Makes no sense.

As for my last point, well, do I really have to explain that one? :s Review scores can help, but a good review does not guarantee good sales. At all. If you're saying I'm wrong about that, well, you need to wake up and smell the roses. I'm not gonna list any examples, there are plenty and then some.

Well, in my anecdotal experience, I don't pick up my preorders on terribly reviewed games. I'm sure that LAIR, Haze, and Too Human, would have sold many more copies had they been critically acclaimed.

Games selling to Japanese people...their sales aren't determinant by reviews.

Games selling to casuals, and the mass market like Halo...their sales aren't determinant by reviews.

Games selling to you and me....they are highly dependant on reviews. Good reviews can make an unknown game sell respectibly in American and UK. You won't see any paradigm shifts, but I'd bet half of Zack and Wiki, or BG&E sales were determined by good reviews and word of mouth.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
hatmoza 2.0 said:
i dunno man .....all i know is that it realy didnt get that much atention at the tgs

I think that's because it's in Tokyo....Gears wasn't even shown was it? Did R2 get a lot of attention? I didn't even hear about it.

...it's in Tokyo, lol. I know you aren't using that as a slight against the game.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

mrstickball said:
Sales? No. It'll do well over 3m.

Review wise? What's a flop? I think they'll get over 85% and flirt with 90% and will be highly regarded as a fantastic Adventure/RPG.

This. 3+ million, 87-93%.

Also, WTF do you mean "flop as well"?? 

Fable has a Metacritic score of 85 and a GameRankings score of 85.  According to vgchartz it's sold over 2.6 million copies, possibly 3 million with Lost Chapters and the Xbox Originals release.

So how many games score above 85 and sell over 2.6 million copies?  Apparently 95% of games are "flops"...

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

First review fro OXM is 9.5 so its out to a solid start. I think it will be about 88-91 on metacritic and sell 2-4 million copies not sure if you define that as a floe

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

if you mean flop sales wise id say no, the original currently stands at 2.6m and i think fable 2 will easily pass this with the 360 being more popular than the original xbox.

if you mean review wise id say no again. edge magazine (very well respected mag in the uk) gave it a 9/10. to put this into perspective they gave fable an 8, mass effect 7, metroid prime 3 7 and bioshock 8.

Around the Network

I did not own the original I was a ps2 guy back in the day, the original sold 2.6 million the word flop and 2.6 million should not be in the same sentence

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

It looks to be too good to flop. It should have a metacritic and sales higher than the original.

retroking1981 said:
if you mean flop sales wise id say no, the original currently stands at 2.6m and i think fable 2 will easily pass this with the 360 being more popular than the original xbox.

if you mean review wise id say no again. edge magazine (very well respected mag in the uk) gave it a 9/10. to put this into perspective they gave fable an 8, mass effect 7, metroid prime 3 7 and bioshock 8.

Wait what!?

Edge game Fable 2 a 9/10? Are you f'n kidding me?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
retroking1981 said:

Wait what!?

Edge game Fable 2 a 9/10? Are you f'n kidding me?

indeed they did, other highlights from the issue for me are little big planet 10/10 and world of goo 8/10