By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima: Japanese game industry is in trouble

@soriku... mmm yeah, plenty of success to go around for the nihon-jin, sure. Let's take a look at the best sellers this and last week...

America:

5. Sonic Chronicles (Sega, DS)

17. Harvest moon Tree of Tranquility (Natsume, Wii)

36. Disgaea DS (Nippon Ichi Software, DS)

Others:

12. Family Trainer (Namco Bandai, Wii) 

28. Big Beach Sports (THQ, Wii)

Japan:

10. World Destruction: Michibi Kareshi Ishi DS (Sega)

12. Dragon Ball DS (Namco Bandai)

^*And of course there's plenty more in Japan from japanese developers, but if you look at it the only ones really making money are Namco and Square.

Do I have to make it any clearer for you kid?

Around the Network

I think we should wait until next year for the Wii - Soriku.

You said the same last year Soriku or something like that but for the rest can't really disagree with DJMeister's post.

I just think that some devs will not make the jump to the Wii like the guys who made Enchanted arms thx to the knowledge of the HD consoles they already got and probably would prefer to release a game on the DS. I could be wrong though. But anyway the X360 has still some JRPG's coming like Last Renmant, SO4 and FFXIII and if there will be no other JRPG coming to X360 anymore we still can say the X360 haves a good list of JRPG's

kowenicki said:
MGS4 sold relatively badly... relative to hype, expectation and the competition that is... he is just doing a bit of damage limitation...

compare MGS4 and Gears (new IP, smaller install base etc etc)

oh.. damage limitation..see what i did there.

Hey, look who's talking about damage control :)

@ koweniki

LOL

MGS4 sold bad?

lolwtf?

Soriku said:
@konnchiwa

The Wii got MUCH better support this year than last year. The roots have shown, now we're just waiting for the huge rise that'll happen. 2009 will be a better year with more support and many games coming out for it. I'd say that my statement is plausible.

Hmm it got better games this year from 3d parties? Hmm I bought more 3dparty games on the Wii last year than I did this year 'No More heroes, Zack and Wiki'.  And this year nothing yet I will get the blob though.  But I probably miss a lot of great games then?

Edit:  Oh yeah the Tales game released this year now I get it why you are saying much better support =p.

Around the Network

I thought No More Heroes came out this year.

Khuutra said:

It did. Konnichiwa is going crazy.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

why is everyone saying mgs4 sold bad? it has sold relatively well giving the ps3 install base. and not only that it has shown very impressive legs, i wouldnt be suprised if it surpases mgs and mgs2 (given ps3 gets more users, pick up mgs4. and given mgs4 will hit platinium or w/e)

RolStoppable said:
Magnific0 said:

@soriku... mmm yeah, plenty of success to go around for the nihon-jin, sure. Let's take a look at the best sellers this and last week...

America:

5. Sonic Chronicles (Sega, DS)

17. Harvest moon Tree of Tranquility (Natsume, Wii)

36. Disgaea DS (Nippon Ichi Software, DS)

Others:

12. Family Trainer (Namco Bandai, Wii)

28. Big Beach Sports (THQ, Wii)

Japan:

10. World Destruction: Michibi Kareshi Ishi DS (Sega)

12. Dragon Ball DS (Namco Bandai)

^*And of course there's plenty more in Japan from japanese developers, but if you look at it the only ones really making money are Namco and Square.

Do I have to make it any clearer for you kid?

You are a brave man. Trying to support your argument with a single week of sales and then ending the post with an arrogant line.

But think about this: If 3rd parties wouldn't make money on Nintendo systems, they would decrease support for it. What we see though, is that the number of games announced for DS and Wii is increasing while 360/PS3 and PSP announcements are decreasing. So if 3rd parties don't make money on Nintendo systems, then why are they giving them better support than in previous years? Explain that.

DS ok true,  but the Wii didn't had much good 3d party support in the first place.  I don't know about X360 and PS3 but they have like a 50 good 3d party games this year (not counting 3d party exclusives) it is really hard to choose witch game to get next three months on the systems I would be surprised if they even would have more next year!  And I thought PSP got a lot more announced PSP 3d party games this year than last year (thx to Japan).

Onyxmeth said:
Khuutra said:

It did. Konnichiwa is going crazy.

It did ?  It felt like an eternity that that game was released.