By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima: Japanese game industry is in trouble

stof said:
Paul_Warren said:
"Narrative, character development, and good writing do not need a bad-ass system backing them, is all I am saying."

If The Dark Knight with the same writing, etc. had been made 30 years ago with Adam West and Ceaser (sp) Romero as the main characters would it have been as good?

No, but Batman was made almost 20 years ago with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson and it was even better.

Yeah I know this doesn't relate to anything, but it's so damn true.

Oh, no - you didn't go there. No...

Around the Network

"@Paul_Warren: Try using an example from a comparable medium. Like, you know. Video games. Specifically RPGs."

FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII would not have been as good as they were if they weren't on the PS2. They would be better on the PS3.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Paul_Warren said:

"The RPG genre in general seems to have declined but that's because many of them are on the wrong console if they're looking to get sales."

It is a double-edged sword. The Wii might be where they can get the most sales (at least at the moment). However, the Wii is also certainly not where they can be the best games that they can be at this point in time technologically. And don't bring up the argument that the Gamecube was technologically superior to the PS2, because the Gamecube also lacked the very thing that long cinematic jrpgs needed the most at the time...a dvd drive (which has been upgraded to a blu-ray drive in this console era) and even in games like Skies of Arcadia, the sound of the Gamecube version was not at the same level of quality as the Dreamcast original.

.....Maybe if a dev actually tried to push the system to the limit, like they do on the PS360, we wouldn't have this problem. Some barely try in that department at all.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:
Paul_Warren said:

"The RPG genre in general seems to have declined but that's because many of them are on the wrong console if they're looking to get sales."

It is a double-edged sword. The Wii might be where they can get the most sales (at least at the moment). However, the Wii is also certainly not where they can be the best games that they can be at this point in time technologically. And don't bring up the argument that the Gamecube was technologically superior to the PS2, because the Gamecube also lacked the very thing that long cinematic jrpgs needed the most at the time...a dvd drive (which has been upgraded to a blu-ray drive in this console era) and even in games like Skies of Arcadia, the sound of the Gamecube version was not at the same level of quality as the Dreamcast original.

.....Maybe if a dev actually tried to push the system to the limit, like they do on the PS360, we wouldn't have this problem. Some barely try in that department at all.

Even at the Wii's best it still isn't capable of the same things the PS360 are and with such a large volume of crap for the Wii playing on the Wii's technical lacking to excuse their feeble attempts (hello EA), it's hard to see this changing much outside of certain games and exceptional developers.

Japanese developers need to start making far more multiplatform games this generation. There simply isn't a console like the PS2 this generation that dominates in all the genres and is a sure bet.

Around the Network
stof said:
Paul_Warren said:
"Narrative, character development, and good writing do not need a bad-ass system backing them, is all I am saying."

If The Dark Knight with the same writing, etc. had been made 30 years ago with Adam West and Ceaser (sp) Romero as the main characters would it have been as good?

No, but Batman was made almost 20 years ago with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson and it was even better.

Yeah I know this doesn't relate to anything, but it's so damn true.

Nah, its an opinion. As kid I watched Batman (1989) so many times that both my brother and I had memorized every line in the movie from beginning to end. The Dark Knight walks all over Batman....IMO.

As for the thread topic, SaviorX mentioned how he believes Marvelous will grow because they've backed the Wii wholely while their larger contemporaries have continued to give the console half hearted efforts. That is something I have thought would a occur for sometime now. While I didn't reference Marvelous in particular, I knew that some smaller developer would makes huge gains giving Wii owners the games their larger brethen will not.

Instead of adapting to the market at hand, larger Japanese developers have ignored it. They've tried to make Western style games due to the poor showings by the HD consoles in their home market. What attracted a large portion of their fans to their games in the first place was difference in style that Japanese games had in comparison to Western developed titles. I'm not saying that they shouldn't make Western style games to appeal to the markets outside of Japan, but they shouldn't ignore their home market because the console they thought would sell well has tanked.

Paul_Warren said:
"@Paul_Warren: Try using an example from a comparable medium. Like, you know. Video games. Specifically RPGs."

FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII would not have been as good as they were if they weren't on the PS2. They would be better on the PS3.

And you are fantastically wrong in all three cases - those games relied on their narrative, not their technology.

"If so, then Kojima is part of the problem - catering exclusively to the "hardcore" with a bunch of flashy, talky junk that nobody outside of an admittedly sizable cadre of pretentious fanboys cares about."

At least he is not spending the majority of his time trying to reinvent pong and heaping unfounded praise upon the gayest music game ever made.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

Paul_Warren said:

"If so, then Kojima is part of the problem - catering exclusively to the "hardcore" with a bunch of flashy, talky junk that nobody outside of an admittedly sizable cadre of pretentious fanboys cares about."

At least he is not spending the majority of his time trying to reinvent pong and heaping unfounded praise upon the gayest music game ever made.

Did you just manage to turn a frank and civil discussion about Japanese developer culture (as limited as our perspective on that is) into a gay joke about Wii Music?

A gay joke? Who even does that?

"And you are fantastically wrong in all three cases - those games relied on their narrative, not their technology."

I don't think so. Yuna, Rikku, Paine, and Ashe certainly wouldn't have been as hot in 2d sprite form. And the narratives may have been great but the looks of the girls also enhanced my enjoyments of those games.  Try to make Lightning look as good on the Wii as she does in the videos for FFXIII.