By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima: Japanese game industry is in trouble

Khuutra said:
Mad World is no more Western than No More Heroes. Probably less so.

Can't tell... and don't really care if it feels more Western or no, I just have a feeling they make this game for the Western audience.

Around the Network

I am still waiting for the new tales game for the PS3 that NamcoBandai has announced way back... we don't even know the title yet... :/

errorrrr said:
I am still waiting for the new tales game for the PS3 that NamcoBandai has announced way back... we don't even know the title yet... :/

If I am right there is no new Tales game.  You are talking about that mag that showed  two screenshots one of the Tales game on the Wii and the other on off the Tales game for X360.   And their was another picture with a huge question mark.  That question mark didn't stand for a not yet announced Tales game on PS3 but for 'Will there be one on PS3'..Or something like that =p.  Soriku will know it better.

Soriku said:
@konnichiwa

I'm not saying Westernized Japanese games somehow are bad...but we've been seeing less and less things like RPGs on them and more and more on the Wii. Things that appeal to the Japanese more, not something that looks like a Western game. Devs realize that the HD consoles are screwed in Japan so their only safe bet is to make games that appeal to the West, like Quantum Theory, Demon Soul, etc. while the Wii has both (though the Wii has more RPGs and the like).

@error

There is no PS3 Tales. That Famitsu mag was basically saying since there's a Wii Tales and 360 Tales there might be a PS3 Tales and it could be announced at their Tales conference. The Tales conference was in July and nothing came out for the PS3, but we got an announcement for another Wii Tales

Hmm okay =p.   And now the list or proof that Japan HD announcements are schrinking!

Soriku said:
Eh...considering we haven't gotten many notable HD Japanese announcements besides Quantum Theory, Demon Soul (may not be good), and like Castlevania (we don't have a name or a release date...) while the Wii has stuff like Muramasa/MH3/Arc Rise Fantasia/NMH2/Rune Factory/new Tales/all the announcements at Nintendo's conference this month (and there was A LOT)/whatever.

Lol now you are getting cute <3.

Like the old days =p.  

You are saying that a HD game may not be good...Are all those announced Wii games be good?

You are saying that the new Castlevenia game have no name and release dat yet but don't do that with the new Tales game (or do we have a name and release date yet). 

Their are more HD Japanese announcements like I mentioned before then what you summed up, and again I really think we didn't saw many Japan HD announcements last year =p.  But yeah I can be wrong =p.

PS:  I still think you didn't checked it though and just said the Japan HD announcements are schrinking without any real evidence of it.  Don't worry I am not going to go on  on this....  You have no proof and I aswell...But if you get some be free to PM me about it.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
When did I say they weren't good? :P Demon's Soul may not be good but the rest sure can be. Castlevania I'm assuming won't see for a while but at least Tales will be at Jump Festa just like ToV was last year when they had the big showing.

I'm not gonna go into list wars but I think we can tell there's been a whole lot more Japanese announcements for the Wii this year than the HD consoles.

=p  Well I can agree with that.  You have a list?  

... J/K.

Soriku, you're saying a lot of stuff. But not only are you not backing it up, your arguments are so one sided.

XXXXX HD game isn't going to be good but this Wii game that we know nothing about sure will be.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

"The RPG genre in general seems to have declined but that's because many of them are on the wrong console if they're looking to get sales."

It is a double-edged sword. The Wii might be where they can get the most sales (at least at the moment). However, the Wii is also certainly not where they can be the best games that they can be at this point in time technologically. And don't bring up the argument that the Gamecube was technologically superior to the PS2, because the Gamecube also lacked the very thing that long cinematic jrpgs needed the most at the time...a dvd drive (which has been upgraded to a blu-ray drive in this console era) and even in games like Skies of Arcadia, the sound of the Gamecube version was not at the same level of quality as the Dreamcast original.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

JRPGs are not reliant on technology in the first place: one might argue that the best ones ever made wouldn't even need a quarter of the Wii's power to run.

Khuutra said:
JRPGs are not reliant on technology in the first place: one might argue that the best ones ever made wouldn't even need a quarter of the Wii's power to run.

True but I think the most say that because of nostalgic feelings (I can be wrong).