By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Played some N64 Yesterday

I think what you have to understand coolest, is that games age, technology advances, pinpoint perfection gets closer and closer to reality on home consoles and everything beyond the last 5 years is out dated.

But you do have a point though, some games aren't timeless, for example golden eye, so they shouldn't be ranked as such (many people put it in their top 20 all time greatest games list).

But I think you're wrong with OoT, it's only boring because we've played it again and again over the last 10 years under different names (some not even called Legend of Zelda). But you can't fault the gameplay as much as you can fault it graphical or in terms of story depth. But you're entitled to your opinion, so you're not technically wrong (I just think you are).

So I think judging older games overall is flawed, the only thing you can really critique them on is gameplay, and OoT, Super Mario 64, Tetris and Half-life are as tight as they come, you can't fault any of their fundamental gameplay.

Around the Network
stof said:
Ocarina of Time is way better than Twilight Princess. (no duh that's just my opinion... yeesh)

The one problem I had with Goldeneye was the controls. I much preferred the Turok control methods in which the yellow buttons made you move and the joystick aimed. The only reason most people preferred the Goldeneye controls was because it auto aimed vertically and most shooting took place on a purely horizontal plane.. If you actually wanted to try and shoot up or down, using the up and down yellow buttons was a pain in the ass.

BAM! You nailed it so hard it came out the other side. I tried playing golden eye and i just cannot wrap my head around the controls. one part lets you walk forward or backward and aim left or right, the other lets you walk left or right and aim up or down. WTF!? When your controls are focus around the movement of the body and the angle of the camera, then those become the logical group for buttons, one set controls left right forward backward movement of the body and the other controls the movement of the camera, yet with the 8 or so different control options that Goldeneye had for its controls, this wasn't one of them.

I am so glad that I got Turok and not Goldeneye during my N64 years cause that would have compounded my FPS hatred even more. I can STILL go back and play Turok, whether on the actual N64, or as a Rom using the PS2 controller (there's absolutely no issues mapping turok controls to dual analog) I still don't understand how Goldeneye qualifies for best FPS of the N64.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I sat down with my N64 a few weeks ago and took a shot at Golden Eye 007, Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 and I really don't understand the critical acclaim. I approach every game and console with an open mind but the control and camera issues that plagued many 5th generation games also hampered my enjoyment of the N64. I skipped the 5th console generation and instead opted for classic and PC gaming and I never regretted it.

wfz said:
Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game ever, and if anyone has a differing opinion, the demon that sleeps inside my body will kill you once it finds out.

That is all i have to say.

I will support that demon!

OT

I saw the title and the poster and for some unkown reason i knew that he was going to say something like that

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

how dare you badmiuth the game that started multiplayer first person shooter bonaZAS

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
jesus kung fu magic said:

real stupid topic in the j-sters opinion. Does the bible get outdated and crappy? no so ur logic is retarted. Orcarina is a classic and is better than most games this gen.

Are new Bibles written every week,month,year?

Not since the invention of the printing press. But before then virtually every copy of the bible was unique; the monks whose duty it was to hand copy the bible frequently added their own touches (changing wording, and adding or subtracting verses). Historians have identified tens of thousands of different versions of the bible.

RolStoppable said:
Grey Acumen said:
stof said:

You two and also noname2200, Goldeneye had four different control settings for a single controller (1.1 - 1.4) and four different settings for using two controllers (2.1 - 2.4). Setting 1.2 resembles the Turok controls, you move with the four C buttons and you aim with the analog stick. You should be all ashamed for not being able to figure this out.

Eh?

Touche. I never got familiar with the Turok control scheme (couldn't stand it), so I never realized Goldeneye emulated it. My bad.

RolStoppable said:
Grey Acumen said:
stof said:
Ocarina of Time is way better than Twilight Princess. (no duh that's just my opinion... yeesh)

The one problem I had with Goldeneye was the controls. I much preferred the Turok control methods in which the yellow buttons made you move and the joystick aimed. The only reason most people preferred the Goldeneye controls was because it auto aimed vertically and most shooting took place on a purely horizontal plane.. If you actually wanted to try and shoot up or down, using the up and down yellow buttons was a pain in the ass.

BAM! You nailed it so hard it came out the other side. I tried playing golden eye and i just cannot wrap my head around the controls. one part lets you walk forward or backward and aim left or right, the other lets you walk left or right and aim up or down. WTF!? When your controls are focus around the movement of the body and the angle of the camera, then those become the logical group for buttons, one set controls left right forward backward movement of the body and the other controls the movement of the camera, yet with the 8 or so different control options that Goldeneye had for its controls, this wasn't one of them.

I am so glad that I got Turok and not Goldeneye during my N64 years cause that would have compounded my FPS hatred even more. I can STILL go back and play Turok, whether on the actual N64, or as a Rom using the PS2 controller (there's absolutely no issues mapping turok controls to dual analog) I still don't understand how Goldeneye qualifies for best FPS of the N64.

You two and also noname2200, Goldeneye had four different control settings for a single controller (1.1 - 1.4) and four different settings for using two controllers (2.1 - 2.4). Setting 1.2 resembles the Turok controls, you move with the four C buttons and you aim with the analog stick. You should be all ashamed for not being able to figure this out.

Oh, snap. If that's true, I'll take back every word I said abotu Golden eye. I thought i checked out every single one of those control styles and none of them seemed to do what you're talking about at all. I'll check that out right now.

Dang, I just checked it out, Rol's totally right on this. How the heck did I miss this control scheme? In my defense, when they labeled it, the only difference between 1.1 controls and 1.2 controls switched the the analog stick and the c buttons being labeled as "look" and "move" It gave no indication that 1.2 changed how you move as well.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
Grey Acumen said:
stof said:

Eh?

You gave the advice to use a setting with two controllers when stof wanted to play Turok style. That's why you are included.

Jesus Christ, thank God someone said it. I was about to start beating my keyboard over my head.

I was reading the responses and I was in shock that so many people didn't even know they could change their controls. Ridiculous.

Speaking of controls and FPS games (rant time), they all suck shit these days. It's very difficult to land headshots in the heat of battle, and I find myself moving the cursour either too far left, or too far right when trying to zero in on my opponent. The movements are far too stiff.

And another thing: AUTO AIM IS ALWAYS FUCKING TURNED ON BY DEFAULT. I wonder, do all modern day FPS "guru's" think they're good? That they have the GAME assisting them to win? That they're totally ownage because the cursour automatically aims into their opponent? It's total BS. Auto-aim off, and 1.2 controls with an N64 controller couldn't be called anything other than perfect.

Granted, people these days will have trouble adjusting to the ultra-sensitive N64 analog stick... they'd probably have no finesse in their movements and claim the stick is awful due to their own incompetence.

The ONE downside the the N64 controller was that the stick would die relatively fast. It would only last 1-2 years if you weren't careful. If you weren't a stick mashing psycho though, it could go for 3 pretty decently.

I feel like a bitter old man at age 20...

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!