By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Wii Beats Xbox 360 And PS3 In Energy Efficiency, Too

NightStalker said: and this is supposed to be news?
no. why don't you wii-only guys rave more about your 80% and lower game rankings (except for 4, 3 barely) and stop touting power outage as a revolution. I mean, I can't wait to play zelda (and future games, and I do want to RENT some of the games), but dang.

Around the Network

Jack said: Depends were you are and how you get your electric. If you were environmental minded it's most likely that you would power your house with soar or wind power and therefor no change to the environment. Ben I would not use the word amazing maybe neat. Anyone can throw a PC together to take up 1/2 as much energy as the Wii for a folding farms. But then you get into the Flop/initial$/Watt debate.
Well I'm not in the market for 10 million consoles personally, so it was rather a question on the worldwide level, given current energy mixes with coal, gas and oil first, followed by nuclear power, and renewable sources in the last place. What's a "folding farm"? Some data center? So even if the Wii is not breaking records in its energy savings, there's still a factor of ten compared to the other systems. Seems kind of not going with the times. I wonder how much a PS2 eats though. Factors against the Wii in terms of energy conservation: 1. Wii allows you to keep your SD tube, you won't have to buy a low power LCD. 2. Wii wants to stay in sleep mode all night waiting for updates, won't let you pull the power plug.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

windbane said:why don't you wii-only guys rave more about your 80% and lower game rankings (except for 4, 3 barely) and stop touting power outage as a revolution.
Maybe the same reason PS3 fans don't talk about being outsold by Wii, or losing exclusives, or multi-platform titles looking better on 360? And stop touting Cell as a revolution. @reverie http://folding.stanford.edu/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_computing

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Well not much of a news, but I think it intressting to see that how technology goes forward. I mean you can look at PS3 and Xbox360 and relise that the power they need, for five years ago what could you do? You find the same thing in the car industry, old cars with barley of 100 hp that uses the same amount of fuel as a beast on over 200 hp today. That is technical progress, the question is smiple how you use it, some companys decid that mayby 150 hp is enough and we can also show a lower fuel consumption. Meanwhile sone goes for use the energy gain for the most power as possible. Nothing is wrong, but as I am in the auto buisness I can say that we have to focus a little more on fuel consumption these days.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

bottom line 10-11 wii users can play video games while 1 360/ps3 owner chugs the same amount of energy id say that pretty signifagent

Around the Network

Wow, I just found out that the Wii is eating 10 W in sleep mode if you leave on Connect24! It says so on page 4 of that article. That cancels out any savings if you play 1 hour or less per day. If you turn off Connect24, consumption will drop to 1.3 W. I'm going to do taht right now.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

reverie said: Wow, I just found out that the Wii is eating 10 W in sleep mode if you leave on Connect24! It says so on page 4 of that article. That cancels out any savings if you play 1 hour or less per day. If you turn off Connect24, consumption will drop to 1.3 W. I'm going to do taht right now.
I guess that gives you the answer to your question
Ok, so if 10 million 360 or PS3 sales were substituted with 10 million Wii sales, by how many degrees Fahrenheit would that decrease global warming? Any suggestions?
Almost none because according to ESA the average American gamer plays 1.1 hours a day. Difference is 511.5 watts per month so on the monthly bill would be $0.05 using $0.10 per KW.

superchunk said: "Another day, another comparison between Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 in which Nintendo Wii comes out on top. This time, it's the all-important field of energy efficiency. The website hardCOREware.net did an in-depth comparison between the energy usage of all three consoles, along with a standard PC. Power consumption during gameplay was determined using NBA Live 2K7 for PS3, Gears of War for XBOX 360, The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess for Wii and lastly, PREY was used for PC. Wii took a mere 18 Watts average, while PC's average was 198 Watts, Xbox 360 averaged 185 Watts, and PC averaged almost 194 Watts. What could possibly go nicer with a Toyota Prius than a Nintendo Wii, we ask you?" @ http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/02232007/22/nintendo_wii_beats_xbox_360_and_ps3_in_energy_efficiency_too Cheaper initially, cheaper in the long run.
Thats because the 360 and PS3 have more power and need more energy. Grow up fanboy.

sieanr said: windbane said:why don't you wii-only guys rave more about your 80% and lower game rankings (except for 4, 3 barely) and stop touting power outage as a revolution. Maybe the same reason PS3 fans don't talk about being outsold by Wii, or losing exclusives, or multi-platform titles looking better on 360? And stop touting Cell as a revolution. @reverie http://folding.stanford.edu/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_computing
I'm curious what games look better on the xbox360, but I assure you that power consumption is not a reason people buy the wii. I won't be buying mine for it, that's for sure.

DIAR said: superchunk said: "Another day, another comparison between Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 in which Nintendo Wii comes out on top. This time, it's the all-important field of energy efficiency. The website hardCOREware.net did an in-depth comparison between the energy usage of all three consoles, along with a standard PC. Power consumption during gameplay was determined using NBA Live 2K7 for PS3, Gears of War for XBOX 360, The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess for Wii and lastly, PREY was used for PC. Wii took a mere 18 Watts average, while PC's average was 198 Watts, Xbox 360 averaged 185 Watts, and PC averaged almost 194 Watts. What could possibly go nicer with a Toyota Prius than a Nintendo Wii, we ask you?" @ http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/02232007/22/nintendo_wii_beats_xbox_360_and_ps3_in_energy_efficiency_too Cheaper initially, cheaper in the long run. Thats because the 360 and PS3 have more power and need more energy. Grow up fanboy.
stating that a system saves energy is not fanbyish getting mad at someone that said it is quite fanboish