By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Infamous Q&A: Only using 30% of PS3 Power

The reason they estimate 30% is partly due to benchmarks, but also to what they estimate can generate from the processors, that can fit in the memory. They know they can't get theoretical maximums. It's about what can actually fit in the memory (which can be indicated by available bandwidth saving protocols and algorythims), and once they learn more of the system, they can fit more.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Caey said:
 ...I'm not a GPU expert, but both the Xbox360 and PS3 are made around a similar graphics core...

Ehhh, nope :P

Their GPU are VERY different architectures... but in theory the 360's GPU si better, because its more advanced... is like comparing the PS2's and Xbox GPUs... the PS2's had LOTS of raw horsepower, but the Xbox's was in many ways, more modern.

Maybe that's why developers are running code on CPU, simply because its GPU limited.

I remember the times when I player Half-Life in software mode, without those things called "graphics accelerators"... yeah, the good times  

@ BenKenobi88 

And why the heck are they only using 30%? Why don't they use 100?

Based on their comments it's more like 10% of the available SPE potential.

That's not how games development works. Most game companies adapt existing engines for a new platform, they pre-plan what kind of game specs they will use (with any new system this may be well below or above expectations and is dependent on competence as well, how flexible are developers towards adapting to new technologies, or how rigid are they regarding their old ways of game design?). The PS3's Cell processor is radically different as compared to previous processors, so game engines also need to be radically adapted to get the most out of the cell processor. Basically developers have to break up their old engines into smaller parts, so that many tasks are running simultaneously. (At some tasks the SPEs are up to 20-40 times faster than previous solutions)

Think about this as highways allowing auto-pilot controlled cars at up to 1000 MPH, but existing cars can only achieve about 200 MPH. Building better specced cars takes time.

Obviously the developers are impressed by the Cell processor. IMO rightly so! 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Umm...Guys did you nitce one thing though? They have been developing that game for 18 months...And it takes them that long to create a game without optimizing the SPU's? It kinda sounds..as if it were indeed a half effort. I understand that a game like Metroid Prime 3 has been under development for 2 years, but Retro has been optimizing the code of the game to the extreme...

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Around the Network
Wojtas said:
Umm...Guys did you nitce one thing though? They have been developing that game for 18 months...And it takes them that long to create a game without optimizing the SPU's? It kinda sounds..as if it were indeed a half effort. I understand that a game like Metroid Prime 3 has been under development for 2 years, but Retro has been optimizing the code of the game to the extreme...

You obviously don't know that the Wii is based on the GC, which is familiar architecture*, while the Cell is not.

Futhermore, you obviously don't know what optimizing is. It's not how much time you spend on it, but how much can fit in the RAM. They could use all the Cell's power, but without knowing how to manage the output, to work memory and bandwidth, the framerate would plummet. The same thing happens with every unfamiliar system in its first few years.

*At least it's familiar to developers who worked on the GC, instead of making it a multiplatform dumping ground.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Whatever the reserve power that these developers claim I don't see how the games on the PS3 will get that much better than MGS4 or Lair, etc. The PS3 is only marginally better than the 360 imo.

I really don't understand the people who think graphics really matter in games. Apparently any game that came out pre-PS3 must have sucked balls then huh?

Look, horrible graphics. This game must have sucked.

And my god, this game must have really, really sucked.

eab said:
I really don't understand the people who think graphics really matter in games. Apparently any game that came out pre-PS3 must have sucked balls then huh?

Look, horrible graphics. This game must have sucked.

And my god, this game must have really, really sucked.

The argument is that those were acceptable then because of graphics then. They just suck now, not then.

LordTheNightKnight said:

The argument is that those were acceptable then because of graphics then. They just suck now, not then.

Personally, I have a great deal of difficulty keeping track on what these 'great graphics' are ...

This screenshot represents 'Amazing Graphics':

At the same time the following screenshot represents 'Awful Graphics':

Even though the second screenshot shows a game with superior effects, higher resoultion textures, more detailed models, and output at a higher resolution involving better AA and AF ...