By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Infamous Q&A: Only using 30% of PS3 Power

BenKenobi88 said:
This is EXACTLY what I mean when I say that developers throw around numbers like 30%.

Lair apparently uses 40%, right? And Infamous is basically on par with Lair in terms of graphics...there doesn't seem to be a correlation between 30% and how good a game will look.

A game later on that uses 86% of the capabilities of the PS3 will look better, but by how much? Don't expect games to suddenly look 100x better...every console gets better looking games down the line once developers figure out how to best optimize everything.

I don't give a crap that current PS3 games only use 30% of its power...show me the first game to use 75%+, and then we'll talk...

I would say Lair does look 10% better then Infamous at this point, if not even more.

Basically I think he's admitting that they're not trying to push the graphical-limit with their game. It will probably be more gameplay and storyline driven. But by telling you their game (which will look great) is only using 30%, of the PS3's power it gives you an idea of where development on the PS3 could lead.  There is still alot of time before they'll hit the ceiling so to speak.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

I'd be interested in knowing how he came to the 30% ...

I suspect it is simply the number of peak FLOPS used by this game divided by the theoritical maximum number of FLOPS the PS3 can produce. This means that the number is pretty meaningless because the achieveable maximum performance of the PS3 is far lower than its theoritical performance.

Of course ,you know way better that the damned developer of the game ....

The point with the N64 is that they had to change internal chip microcode to improve the graphics.
This guy is talking about the SPU's, since it is multicore i don't expect 100% is the limit. More something like 60-70%, it is incredibly difficult to have a near perfect multicore application. Even the smallest change in code can decrease preformance big time.

But beware of those numbers, with the N64 you had plain ugly games like daikatana where levels were probably made up with 30k polygons and ugly,ugly textures. So every improvement made it look way better. This won't be happening with the PS3, nor with the Xbox or Wii.
I'm not a GPU expert, but both the Xbox360 and PS3 are made around a similar graphics core and memory map. So in the end i don't expect huge differences.

People can quite easily accept that FFXIII is only 13% complete yet cannot believe that Infamous only utilises around 30% of the power of the PS3?????

I think I would quite easily accept information from an actual developer on the PS3 platform ahead of people who just play games.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

I'm getting so tired of these comments. I'm sure over the last couple of gens there's a correlation between the number of "we're only scratching the surface of this baby" type of comments and the lack of interesting things they have to say about the game being developed. Do you hear Myamoto talking about Galaxy only using 50% of Wii's potential or does he let the game speak for itself? These devs need to show me a game that plays significantly differently from last gen because of the extra hardware capabilities before I'll get the least bit interested in a purchase.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Around the Network
davygee said:
People can quite easily accept that FFXIII is only 13% complete yet cannot believe that Infamous only utilises around 30% of the power of the PS3?????

I think I would quite easily accept information from an actual developer on the PS3 platform ahead of people who just play games.

Weren't the 13% & 1.3% figures for FFXIII & FFXIII Vs respectively a deliberately scinical way to tell people to shut up with the stupid questions and let them get on with development?

I mean FF13, 13%, 1.3%, do you see a pattern emerging here?

Hus said:

Davygee that apples to oranges. System power usage and game completion percentage aren't near the same thing. Square Enix completed the scenario to FFXIII before started coding the game. They know what the total size of FFXIII's world be. They know much text will be containted in the game. They know how many characters the game will feature and how much voice over work those characters will need. In other words, they know how much farther they have to go until they reach 100% complete status.

No one knows the true maximum of the PS3 hardware. The theoritical maxiums listed in the specs are not achievable in actual gameplay situations. The Cell was benchmarked with 8 SPUs, the PS3's Cell only has 6 SPUs available for developers. Thats a one quarter of the potential power of the SPUs gone before the first line of code is programmed.

In related news we just started using 50% of the original XBox's power... I guess we should all go rush and buy one of those... at least they dont break every 12 months. Seriously everyone knows its marketing bs. This industry is full of it.

To the person above who claims that new graphics add more gameplay elements... no offense but i havent seen anything significantly new since Wolfenstein 3D and Ocarina of Time. Not that I dont think we should keep pushing the envelope but until there is some kind of revolutionary change all the extra power is just making the same games either bigger or prettier (sometimes). If graphics were a big factor then Nintendo would have been out of business a long time ago.

Not having to invest time to optimize code is a GOOD thing. It means more focus on the game and less on trying to figure out tricks to get a piece of code to run faster than it is. From a management perspective, that's good news. As a programmer, I have a different perspective, but that's neither here nor there.

Hus said: