By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is there gamer alive,who doens't know Mario?

coasterlove said:
I don't know how anybody can say that Donkey Kong isn't recognizable at all. He's been around just as long as Mario and been part of numerous games as well as his own popular series back in the SNES days. And while his games aren't nearly as big or good as they used to be, he still has his games out there.

And even if younger gamers just know him from Smash Brothers or Mario Kart, you just acknowledged him meaning you do know him so no point in making that defense. And ask any gamer over 30 and they will know Donkey Kong. This thread was about ALL GAMERS which would mean all ages. So Donkey has to be in that list above 99% of other characters. I see how anyone can logically argue otherwise.

Actually I was stretching my my argument past gaming. I was considering people that don't play games also and asked who the most recognizeable would be. That is where I said Donkey Kong wouldn't hold weight but Mario and Pacman would.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

yeah, Sephiroth is definitely no on that one.

Mario is by far known more than any other.

Then probably in no particular order:
Donkey Kong, pac man, sonic, pikachu, zelda/link, ... idk, that's who i can think of that probably every gamer knows by name. These are probably also known by a very high % of non-gamers as well.

Onyxmeth said:
coasterlove said:
I don't know how anybody can say that Donkey Kong isn't recognizable at all. He's been around just as long as Mario and been part of numerous games as well as his own popular series back in the SNES days. And while his games aren't nearly as big or good as they used to be, he still has his games out there.

And even if younger gamers just know him from Smash Brothers or Mario Kart, you just acknowledged him meaning you do know him so no point in making that defense. And ask any gamer over 30 and they will know Donkey Kong. This thread was about ALL GAMERS which would mean all ages. So Donkey has to be in that list above 99% of other characters. I see how anyone can logically argue otherwise.

Actually I was stretching my my argument past gaming. I was considering people that don't play games also and asked who the most recognizeable would be. That is where I said Donkey Kong wouldn't hold weight but Mario and Pacman would.

I understand and I still feel that many even outside regular gamers would know who Donkey Kong is. Now I don't think any character including Mario would be known to 100% of non gamers but I do think Donkey Kong would close in the amount of recognition Mario receives. And of course how do you define non gamers? Is that someone who has literally never played a video game ever because people like that would be hard to find especially in North America. Japan and Europe. Maybe in third world countries of course you would find plenty of people who wouldn't recognize Donkey Kong or Mario for that matter. Anyway.

An experiment if you want to try it. I see you're 23 and of obviously I don't know much about you but ask your parents, aunts and uncles, gradparents, older people at work or school and see if they know who Mario is and Donkey Kong and see how many people do. Or print out these pictures if you like and ask if they know who it is.

Mario

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/mario/mario.jpg

Donkey Kong

http://www.infinite-loop.at/Power64/Images/Screenshots_OSX/DonkeyKong.png

Who knows, it could be interesting or fun.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

coasterlove said:
Onyxmeth said:
coasterlove said:

I understand and I still feel that many even outside regular gamers would know who Donkey Kong is. Now I don't think any character including Mario would be known to 100% of non gamers but I do think Donkey Kong would close in the amount of recognition Mario receives. And of course how do you define non gamers? Is that someone who has literally never played a video game ever because people like that would be hard to find especially in North America. Japan and Europe. Maybe in third world countries of course you would find plenty of people who wouldn't recognize Donkey Kong or Mario for that matter. Anyway.

An experiment if you want to try it. I see you're 23 and of obviously I don't know much about you but ask your parents, aunts and uncles, gradparents, older people at work or school and see if they know who Mario is and Donkey Kong and see how many people do. Or print out these pictures if you like and ask if they know who it is.

Mario

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/mario/mario.jpg

Donkey Kong

http://www.infinite-loop.at/Power64/Images/Screenshots_OSX/DonkeyKong.png

Who knows, it could be interesting or fun.

I was thinking of doing something just like that with maybe 10-20 of the most recognizeable characters and show them to people to see who picks up on what. It would make a nice editorial.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Let me know how it turns out.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

Around the Network

Who's Sephiroth?

Seriously a lot of people would say this.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

LiquidKoopa said:

I'm very sure there are gamers who don't know who Mario is.

I don't know about that, Mario is the poster boy of the industry.

Unless they make their own games and never leave their room, I doubt any gamer who played games from the gaming industry (so not self-made games), wouldn't know who Mario was.

Then again, they probably don't know much about Mario (info like "Mario Mario"), but I think the question was about recognition on sight.

Everyone knows Mario =p. But I think Pikachu is more famous.

Mario? Chun Li's husband, right?