By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft II campaign split into 3 separate SKU's!

vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Yes, that's what happened with WC3, but for that very same reason it appears like they just made WC3 and then waited to see how it does then made an expansion pack. Because of this they weren't able to fit the Orcs in properly. If you can remember the "human" capaign wasn't human at all either, it was elves + naga + draenei. Only the Undead and Night Elf capmaigns were actually dealing with their races. If they weren't planning on an expansion pack while developing the earlier game it would explain why this happened. What's going on here with SC2 is the exact opposite, they've already announced the game and 2 expansions and they have plenty of time to plan out the entire story, work hasn't even started on the Zerg and Protoss, and from the most recent news the Terran campaign is only about 1/3rd done (this was before the trillogy so it could mean just 3 missions or 10). If they've planned out 2 more expansions they can easily manage to get all the races involved in all the releases.

Edit: WHOOO finally retagged this.
Again, are you sure this applies to the plot?  The reason the orc and human stuff in WC3 was lacking was due to story considerations, right?
They have not talked about the plot of SC2 at all beyond the very basics of what has happened to jim raynor, zeratul, and the zerg since brood wars. I'm also assuming that if they aren't even done with the Terran campaign or started doing the Zerg/Protoss campaign that the plot is still very much able to change. Also, considering they waited until Blizzcon to announce the trilogy I think it would be safe to assume that the decision was made no more than 2 to 4 months before the convention, otherwise they probably would have told us earlier.

I strongly disagree with your assumptions.  I think that the plot is much more developed than you think, although I freely admit to zero actual expertise in this area.  You may be right about when they decided that the Z/P campaigns were so far from completion that it was better to split them up entirely than delay that much; but that does not at all mean that the campaigns' plotlines and pacing were greatly affected by this production decision IMO. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Again, are you sure this applies to the plot?  The reason the orc and human stuff in WC3 was lacking was due to story considerations, right?
They have not talked about the plot of SC2 at all beyond the very basics of what has happened to jim raynor, zeratul, and the zerg since brood wars. I'm also assuming that if they aren't even done with the Terran campaign or started doing the Zerg/Protoss campaign that the plot is still very much able to change. Also, considering they waited until Blizzcon to announce the trilogy I think it would be safe to assume that the decision was made no more than 2 to 4 months before the convention, otherwise they probably would have told us earlier.

I strongly disagree with your assumptions.  I think that the plot is much more developed than you think, although I freely admit to zero actual expertise in this area.  You may be right about when they decided that the Z/P campaigns were so far from completion that it was better to split them up entirely than delay that much; but that does not at all mean that the campaigns' plotlines and pacing were greatly affected by this production decision IMO. 

I too have no expertise in the area, and while it may be developed, I'm sure it's still very much up for change, or it was before they decided to split the campaigns. My problem also is not with the affect of the the change to the plotlines, but with the pacing, there's no reason to make a plot which will do a 30 mission streak with the same race. Or maybe we are all mistaken and by Terran campaign they mean that the campaign will deal only with the Terran, but you will still get a bunch of missions as Protoss/Zerg.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
I too have no expertise in the area, and while it may be developed, I'm sure it's still very much up for change, or it was before they decided to split the campaigns. My problem also is not with the affect of the the change to the plotlines, but with the pacing, there's no reason to make a plot which will do a 30 mission streak with the same race. Or maybe we are all mistaken and by Terran campaign they mean that the campaign will deal only with the Terran, but you will still get a bunch of missions as Protoss/Zerg.

Well, now that we've both admitted we are going on nothing more than speculation/theory and our own opinions, and we've both presented them to each other in competition, I don't think there's really anything we can do but agree to disagree (much as I would like to continue trying to sway you to my obviously superior viewpoint ).

I would be extremely surprised if your final suggestion turns out to be the case, if for no other reason than if it was true, surely they would tell us to stop all the bitching about not playing zerg/protoss in the campaign in the first installment. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Official word from blizzard on the Trilogy.

What is the StarCraft II Trilogy?
The StarCraft II Trilogy consists of the base StarCraft II game and two subsequent expansion sets. StarCraft II is subtitled Wings of Liberty (working title) and will include a lengthy single-player campaign that focuses on the terrans and puts players in the role of Jim Raynor, one of the series’ main heroes. The first expansion set, Heart of the Swarm (working title), will follow later and include a single-player campaign focusing on the zerg and Kerrigan, Queen of Blades. The second expansion set, Legacy of the Void (working title), will continue the story experience with a single-player campaign centered on the protoss.

Will we still be able to play multiplayer matches of StarCraft II with all three races?
Yes! From the beginning, StarCraft II will be a fully featured multiplayer game, and all three races will be available for competitive play.

How will the expansion sets impact multiplayer gameplay?
The expansion sets will add new content to each race for use in multiplayer matches. This could include additions such as new units, abilities, and structures, along with new maps and Battle.net updates.

If I buy StarCraft II but don’t buy any of the expansion sets, will I still be able to play online?
Yes. This will work similarly to Warcraft III and the original StarCraft, which maintained separate online gaming lobbies and ladders for expansion set players and players with the base Warcraft III or StarCraft.

How long is each of the campaigns?
StarCraft II’s terran campaign will consist of approximately 26 to 30 missions, and each expansion set will include a similar number of missions. This means that the complete StarCraft II Trilogy will include as many as 90 single-player missions. This allows us to create a truly epic story experience with a great variety of unique missions and gameplay types.

Why did you decide to release each race’s campaign separately?
We’re aiming to push the boundaries of storytelling and character development in RTS games through the unique single-player campaign design of StarCraft II. Players will be able to choose their mission path and technology upgrades for their army as they advance through the campaign. In order to make these choices meaningful while creating an epic story and well-developed characters for each faction, we needed to focus on a single race for a large number of missions.
The Trilogy also allows us to create more in-game and prerendered cinematics to tell the story in between missions. There will be more interactive sets and elements for players to explore during each campaign, along with other interesting design elements to differentiate the single-player game from multiplayer matches. For example, the technology choices within the terran single-player campaign will include special upgrades and unit types that are unique to the single-player game. These could include the ability to purchase classic units such as the wraith or firebat to add to Jim Raynor’s army.

Are these three separate games? How much will all of these games cost?
The StarCraft II Trilogy will consist of the base StarCraft II game and two expansion sets. Pricing on these games hasn’t been determined at this early stage; however, we’ve always charged an appropriate price for the content the player receives, and we will continue to release high-quality games that offer great value.

How long will it take to ship each expansion set in the Trilogy?
We’re still focused on developing the base StarCraft II game, and all the content associated with the terran campaign, including the missions, cinematic cutscenes, and interactive sets. It’s too early to provide an estimate on how long it will take to develop each of the expansion sets in the trilogy, but as always, we will take as much time as is needed to create the best possible gaming experience with each expansion set.

Source

BOOM!

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
BOOM!

Psh... That doesn't explain much. As I said earlier if they had 10-10-10 they could have som very serious non-linearity. Like if you do a mission as a Terran then it affects the Zerg/Protoss campaign and then multiply that over each mission. That'd make for a seriously epic campaign. They both has strength and weaknesess but the worst one is that you play 30 friken missions as a race in a row....

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
BOOM!
Psh... That doesn't explain much. As I said earlier if they had 10-10-10 they could have som very serious non-linearity. Like if you do a mission as a Terran then it affects the Zerg/Protoss campaign and then multiply that over each mission. That'd make for a seriously epic campaign. They both has strength and weaknesess but the worst one is that you play 30 friken missions as a race in a row....

I wasn't being totally serious.  But to counter your argument, have you ever read halfway through a book or played half an RPG, then abandoned it for some reason, then gone back to it a year or two later?  I have.  And damn, it can be hard to just pick up where you left off.  Sometimes, to really get back into the story, you pretty much have to play the whole damn thing over again. 

I think this is one reason why it would not be good to have the three campaigns broken up into three pieces each.  Let us have ONE whole story, then another, then another.  Maybe that's part of what they meant by "In order to make these choices meaningful while creating an epic story and well-developed characters for each faction, we needed to focus on a single race for a large number of missions."  Or maybe they meant something else in addition to that. 

Plus, wouldn't it frustrate you to play only 1/3 of a race's campaign 3 times, rather than one entire campaign?  I think it would frustrate me. 

Btw final-fan:

"Btw, vlad321 and twesterm (sorry if there were other's), it seems that it's almost pointless trying to tell these folks who only care about multiplayer/Bnet side of Sc2, about the story side. It's like when adventure games died and fps reigns."

As i stated:
(sorry if there were other's)

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Punisher said:
Btw final-fan:

"Btw, vlad321 and twesterm (sorry if there were other's), it seems that it's almost pointless trying to tell these folks who only care about multiplayer/Bnet side of Sc2, about the story side. It's like when adventure games died and fps reigns."

As i stated:

And just who are the "folks" in this thread "who only care about multiplayer/Bnet side of Sc2"? 

Punisher said:
Btw final-fan:

As i stated:

You know what's funny? Starcraft 2's Terran campaign will be a pure point & click Adventure between missions!