By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft II campaign split into 3 separate SKU's!

I want my Protoss campiagn, that's what I care about...f$#k the humans and zerg, imho. I have zero interest in playing hte zerg, especially, and the Humans are okay, but nothing that I gotta play...still...Blizzard shouldn't be charging 3X for the game...that's wrong, imho.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
shio said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:
They haven't even finished the Terran campaign, and you want them to only release Starcraft 2 when all 3 campaigns are done?? That would delay the game to 2010 atleast!!

And again, their intention was always to have a singleplayer of around 30 missions. the only thing they changed was to switch from 3 small campaigns (10 missions each) to a huge campaign (30 missions). They also thought that this change allows for a better story, so I'm all for it.

Also, I'm not buying the "bad for people who wait for protoss campaign", because I heard no such complaints when it was about Starcraft 1 since Protoss' campaign only amounted to 1/3 of the entire singleplayer. Are you telling me that those pro-protoss people did not enjoy the Terran and Zerg campaigns
I don't see just how you got that I want them to finish all campaigns before releasing the games out of what I said. What I'm saying is to have them release everything with 10 missions from each race, but still have 3 releases. Instead of the 30 per race per release. It would still be an epic campaign, and the story would be unaffected. In fact you could have some awesome non0linear story where if you do something specific on a mission as Terran it would carry over to the Zerg and Protoss campaign as well and change those, it'd be awesomel.

Protoss was 1/3rd of the game, but in this case it's 0% of the game, and a year later it's still 0%, and only afterwards does it come out to 1/3rd. Frankly this feels like they are forcing people to buy all 3 so they can get a complete campaign experience, meanwhile there DO exist people who have played SC but not BW and have enjoyed the campaign just fine. Thus still forcing people, esp. Protoss players, to buy all 3. Oh and big surprise, I can't jsut buy the Protoss campaign, I haave to buy the 2 before it.
If Blizzard had decided to do what you said, it would still be the same thing for the people who want to play the protoss campaign since they would be forced to buy all 3 titles because each had a part of the protoss campaign.

And putting it the way you suggested does hurt the story: fragmentation hurts. Thus the ending of SC2's singleplayer would likely leave you cliff hanging, and so would the first expansion.
Fragmentation hurts... and you don't realize that having 1 race's story is a much bigger fragmentation than having 10 missions each and ahve a nice ending but with a fe loose ends to expand upon? And it won't be the same since they'd be able  to play the Protoss from day 1 of the first SC2 release, not 2 years from it.

You're assuming that all 3 campaigns will have nice story breakpoints exactly 1/3 and 2/3 through them.  Or would you have Blizzard rewrite the entire plot to fit that model?  I'm sure they wouldn't have to compromise the story at all.  

Just because shio's a fanatically rabid Blizzard apologist doesn't necessarily make him wrong. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:
If Blizzard had decided to do what you said, it would still be the same thing for the people who want to play the protoss campaign since they would be forced to buy all 3 titles because each had a part of the protoss campaign.

And putting it the way you suggested does hurt the story: fragmentation hurts. Thus the ending of SC2's singleplayer would likely leave you cliff hanging, and so would the first expansion.
Fragmentation hurts... and you don't realize that having 1 race's story is a much bigger fragmentation than having 10 missions each and ahve a nice ending but with a fe loose ends to expand upon? And it won't be the same since they'd be able  to play the Protoss from day 1 of the first SC2 release, not 2 years from it.

You're assuming that all 3 campaigns will have nice story breakpoints exactly 1/3 and 2/3 through them.  Or would you have Blizzard rewrite the entire plot to fit that model?  I'm sure they wouldn't have to compromise the story at all.  

Just because shio's a fanatically rabid Blizzard apologist doesn't necessarily make him wrong. 

From what I hear they aren't even done with the Terran, much less thinking about the Zerg/Protoss, meaning if they don't have anything actually set and it's subject to change, therefore they won't need to change anything. On the other hand, if they finish an entire race's story all 3 of them will probably feel disjointed since as they said there won't be any cliff-hangers. An even worse scenario would be if it's all the same story just from a different point of view. At least if they did the 3 races in all 3 releases everyone would get a go.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Oh my god! Such bullshit! How dare people plan a game to be sold episodically. Why aren't people outraged?!

Oh wait... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2

naznatips said:
Oh my god! Such bullshit! How dare people plan a game to be sold episodically. Why aren't people outraged?!

I'd think you of all people would know the difference between Half-Life's episodic content and this, the difference between FPS and RTS in general, and the difference between the way single-player is handeled in each. It's like comparing two compleely different things.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:

Just because shio's a fanatically rabid Blizzard apologist doesn't necessarily make him wrong.
From what I hear they aren't even done with the Terran, much less thinking about the Zerg/Protoss, meaning if they don't have anything actually set and it's subject to change, therefore they won't need to change anything. On the other hand, if they finish an entire race's story all 3 of them will probably feel disjointed since as they said there won't be any cliff-hangers. An even worse scenario would be if it's all the same story just from a different point of view. At least if they did the 3 races in all 3 releases everyone would get a go.

I'm sure you've followed this more closely than me, but are you sure they don't already have the general campaign storyline at least outlined?  Having the narrative established and having the game finished are, needless to say, different. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I hope the Protoss are next...but it's going to be zerg...I'm almost certian. After reading up on it a bit...I don't have a real problem with blizzard strategy...as long as you can multi-play with any version...what's the problem? I'll probably get this first Human one, because I'm dying to try SC after so many year, but I'm probably skipping hte zerg and going after the Protoss as my "darling" of SC games.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Etech7 said:
This is just more proof that blizzard is an evil company that works for the devil. People have died playing WoW. Some people who play WoW have no real social life. After my borther bought WoW he went from being a cool kid to being a nerd with no social life. I am never buying a Blizzard game again.

Blizzard killed my father, and raped my mother!

The BuShA owns all!

I bet the game will have a "dedicated" space for new content such as Spore, so you will be able to DD the singleplayer campaigns or buy it in a box, and the multiplayer additions will be free through patches. however, they'll be released when the new campaigns come out. to me every other scenario, while possible, relies on multiplayer segmentation which we have already seen but this time is too exaggerated. let's see :P

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

naznatips said:

But see, Half-Life 2 was complete.  When I play HL2 I don't expect to play as Gordon and then expect to play again as a Combine soldier or to continue the story further. 

Starcraft 2 isn't complete.  I expect to play through the game as each race, not play a race I don't like.  Wait a year, play a race I like.  Wait a year, play a race I really like.