By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NHL: Thread for the 2008-2009 Season

This thread is to discuss the developments of this season in the NHL.

The NHL season started in ernest last night & the Sharks got off to a wonderfull start by beating the Ducks 4-1 at home.

That Was Left-Handed

Xbox Live: Spire VII

Playstation 3 Network: Spire_VII

Around the Network

and THE PEOPLE'S Vancouver Canucks put out the Flames 6-0. =D

That Vancouver game was wild. Fantastic way to start the season. I was also surprised by the Leafs squeaking a win against the Wings.

I'm very confident in the Canadiens this year. They will win the cup. And Price may very well be Vezina material this year. Looking forward to the game tonight.

pearljammer said:
That Vancouver game was wild. Fantastic way to start the season. I was also surprised by the Leafs squeaking a win against the Wings.

I'm very confident in the Canadiens this year. They will win the cup. And Price may very well be Vezina material this year. Looking forward to the game tonight.

The Leafs beating the Wings was so awesome! They can thank Toskala for that.

The Canadiens are going to be great again and Price will definitely be steady, if not spectacular for them. Personally I would either like Luongo or Nabokov to win the Vezina. Luongo got cheated out of it (imo) 2 seasons ago and Nabokov definitely got cheated out of it last year.

Surprise teams:

I think the Maple Leafs will surprise this season. Everything i read has them pegged as "next to last" or "might just be bad enough to get that #1 pick" but I honestly think they'll be pretty good. Will they make the playoffs? Probably not, but I know they'll be one of the hardest working teams in the league.

In the West, I think the Wild will be the surprise team. Rumors of a Gaborik trade, coupled with their very defensive style of play has people saying (and hoping) that they will not make it in the playoffs this year. I think they'll be second in the division behind Vancouver this year and make it in the playoffs.

Around the Network
Cactus said:
Surprise teams:

I think the Maple Leafs will surprise this season. Everything i read has them pegged as "next to last" or "might just be bad enough to get that #1 pick" but I honestly think they'll be pretty good. Will they make the playoffs? Probably not, but I know they'll be one of the hardest working teams in the league.

In the West, I think the Wild will be the surprise team. Rumors of a Gaborik trade, coupled with their very defensive style of play has people saying (and hoping) that they will not make it in the playoffs this year. I think they'll be second in the division behind Vancouver this year and make it in the playoffs.

You make good points Cactus.

Ron Wilson is just the kind of coach the Leafs need. I still think they are the prime candidates in the Tavares sweepstakes this season but they are definitely making the move in the right direction(finally).

It's hard to say with the Wild. I think they will either be really good or really bad. I don't think there's a middle ground for them. I think they'll easily finish ahead of the Avs but will they be good enough to take on Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton? I guess we'll find out.

My simple predictions are that Chicago finally makes the playoffs again and after last years implosion the Lightning will be back in the hunt for the SE division crown.

I think that Vancouver also wins the NW. Go Nucks!

If you haven't heard the news by now, Alexei Cherepanov (New York Rangers Draft Pick), who played in the Russian CHL league died Monday during a game. Here's some recent news regarding the tragedy from TSN -

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=252684&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

In other news, both the New York Rangers and the San Jose Sharks are off to great starts. The Rangers are 5-0 and the Sharks are off the best start in franchise history after last nights victory & are 4-0

That Was Left-Handed

Xbox Live: Spire VII

Playstation 3 Network: Spire_VII

Spire_VII said:

If you haven't heard the news by now, Alexei Cherepanov (New York Rangers Draft Pick), who played in the Russian CHL league died Monday during a game. Here's some recent news regarding the tragedy from TSN -

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=252684&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

In other news, both the New York Rangers and the San Jose Sharks are off to great starts. The Rangers are 5-0 and the Sharks are off the best start in franchise history after last nights victory & are 4-0

Yeah, heard about Cherapanov =[ tragic. Too soon after Bourdon as well.

I watched the Sharks game last night. What an awesome, highly entertaining game (especially if you were cheering for the Sharks, like I was).

I knew the Sharks were going to be a beast again this year but I'm actually pretty surprised with the Rangers hot start.

Rangers finally lost. =D

It makes me sad that Nazzy is a Ranger. =[

The only winless team so far is the.. Philadelphia Flyers.