By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - OMFG! -- LEAKED DQ9 Trailer from S-E CLOSED Theatre!! -- EPIC JRPG of OLD!

Yeah, it looks really, surprisingly good, and I didn't really like the last DQ.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
lol. Tales, KH > DQ from what I've seen of DQ :P

That is why "some users" call you a silly kid. Tales usually follow the amazing-disappointment-amazing cycle. KH isn`t even a good series, the only good game was the original. DQ invented JRPG as we know it. Most of the major twists in the genre formula were implemented first into DQ games. Sure most of them have not aged very well (1-4 are from the Nes, 5 and 6 Snes and 7 Psx) , but the remakes are still solid games.

DQ is the most classic old school JRPG experience you will ever get. As a bonus you get Toriyama amazing character and monster design.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Soriku said:
lol. Tales, KH > DQ from what I've seen of DQ :P

Edited!!

I don't remember JRPG's of old having real-time combat. The new combat coupled with a multi-player focus makes this look more like Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles than a traditional Dragon Quest game. I'm skeptical that this will turn out better than other action RPG's that I've played but somewhat optimistic due to Level 5's involvement. I really hope this game turns out well because when it was first announced I expected it to be a system seller for me.

@bouzane They are sticking to the turnbased combat. It was going to be Real Time, but fans complained so they went back to turn based.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
@bouzane They are sticking to the turnbased combat. It was going to be Real Time, but fans complained so they went back to turn based.

I'm very happy to hear that, thanks for the info.

Soriku said:
Reinventment doesn't mean it's better than anything else. Oh, and I prefer Nomura/Fujishima/Inomata over Toriyama for designs.

The only problem with Toriyama is reusing old characters designs. At least in his designs men look like men and women look like women (save for Flea). Also, he design the monsters in the series. That is why DQ monsters have more personality than giant turtles, bats, wolves, giant bees and other generic JRPGs monsters.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

LEVEL 5

I have Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2. I haven't played it yet, I might give it a spin, since I have no JRPG's currently in my library. My sister played it and loved it, but she doesn't play it anymore, I think she was on the last boss.

Probably after I finish Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, I will then give that Dragon Quest VIII a spin.

I'm looking forward to DQIX, if I like Dragon Quest VIII, then I will probably like Dragon Quest XI.

konnichiwa said:
By the way the music gave me goosebumps.

Yeah, I got that rising feeling in my chest. Can't wait for this!