By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Two Bold Wii Play & Wii Fit predictions

I'm making two bold predictions. I don't necessarily believe they will come true, but it's interesting to speculate about them nonetheless.

1) Wii Play will have outsold the PS3 at the end of the generation.

This battle will be a close one. The numbers now: Wii Play: 15.23m, PS3: 15.71m. At the moment, the attach rate of Wii Play is ~46.3%. The Wii will sell between 100 and 200 million this gen (let's say 150m) so Wii Play will probably at least sell between 60 and 70 million. How much will the PS3 sell? My hunch is exactly that number, between 60 and 70 million. This will be real close.

2) Wii Fit will outsell the GameCube.

This prediction sounds crazy at first, but consider this: Wii Fit will break 10 million this year. It may slow down a bit in 2009, but it will at least sell another 6-7 million in 2009. It depends on what plans Nintendo has with the Balance Board, but it's really possible that, as long as Wii Fit stays relevant, it might just outsell the GameCube.

Discuss!

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

I'm making two bold predictions. I don't necessarily believe they will come true, but it's interesting to speculate about them nonetheless.

This battle will be a close one. The numbers now: Wii Play: 15.23m, PS3: 15.71m. At the moment, the attach rate of Wii Play is ~46.3%. The Wii will sell between 100 and 200 million this gen (let's say 150m) so Wii Play will probably at least sell between 60 and 70 million. How much will the PS3 sell? My hunch is exactly that number, between 60 and 70 million. This will be real close.

This prediction sounds crazy at first, but consider this: Wii Fit will break 10 million this year. It may slow down a bit in 2009, but it will at least sell another 6-7 million in 2009. It depends on what plans Nintendo has with the Balance Board, but it's really possible that, as long as Wii Fit stays relevant, it might just outsell the GameCube.

Discuss!

1. I don't see any way Wii Play could possibly outsell PS3.  It probably will be ahead for some time but I think PS3 will eventually sell multiple times what Wii Play will sell.  First because I think Nintendo will eventually bundle the Wii remote with a different game and secondly because PS3 will sell much more when it finally gets to a sensible price for a console. 

2.  I don't think this is a bold prediction.  I don't see any possibility that Wii Fit will not outsell Gamecube. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Well....its in the xmas season where PS3 will be miles above the Wii Play

also Wii Sports Resort might null the effect of Wii Play next year....take that into account

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Wii play is going to beat Ps3.

Wii play sales so far 2008: 5935K
Ps3 sales so far 2008: 6482K

Last 3 months:
Wii play: 1876K
Ps3: 1793K

So Ps3 is losing momentum to Wii Play.

It's not like it really matters though. We all know that revenue is all that matters, and Ps3 will win there.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I don't think the first will happen,but the second will.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Last 3 months:

It's not like it really matters though. We all know that revenue is all that matters, and Ps3 will win there.

But now in the holiday season Ps3 will sell A LOT WEEKLY....that will result in a difference

tuoyo said:
Chrizum said:

Discuss!

1. I don't see any way Wii Play could possibly outsell Wii Play.  It probably will be ahead for some time but I think PS3 will eventually sell multiple times what Wii Play will sell.  First because I think Nintendo will eventually bundle the Wii remote with a different game and secondly because PS3 will sell much more when it finally gets to a sensible price for a console. 

2.  I don't think this is a bold prediction.  I don't see any possibility that Wii Fit will not outsell Gamecube. 

I agree, Wii Play will not outsell Wii Play.

RolStoppable said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Last 3 months:

But now in the holiday season Ps3 will sell A LOT WEEKLY....that will result in a difference

But consider that the Wii will sell a lot weekly as well and that Wii Play sales are usually closely linked to hardware sales of the Wii, because it's a good way to get a second Wiimote.

Look....Wii Sports resort will negate that.

As no-one will want the "inferior" remote anymore {god I hate nintendo for dividing their market!}

RolStoppable said:
darthdevidem01 said:
RolStoppable said:

But consider that the Wii will sell a lot weekly as well and that Wii Play sales are usually closely linked to hardware sales of the Wii, because it's a good way to get a second Wiimote.

Look....Wii Sports resort will negate that.

As no-one will want the "inferior" remote anymore {god I hate nintendo for dividing their market!}

So you don't think that at the time Wii Sports Resort gets released new Wiis and Wii Play will come bundled with Wii Motion Plus as well in order to quickly maximise the userbase who owns Wii Motion Plus?

I doubt it....Wii Play 2 will come out then

no point having the "regular" Wii Play with the "superior" remote....hence once again reducing Wii play's momentum

twesterm said:
tuoyo said:
Chrizum said:

Discuss!

1. I don't see any way Wii Play could possibly outsell Wii Play.  It probably will be ahead for some time but I think PS3 will eventually sell multiple times what Wii Play will sell.  First because I think Nintendo will eventually bundle the Wii remote with a different game and secondly because PS3 will sell much more when it finally gets to a sensible price for a console. 

I agree, Wii Play will not outsell Wii Play.

Lol.  I meant Wii Play will not outell PS3.  I better edit my post before I look even more silly.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down