By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3's $399 Price 'Simply Too Steep,' says Analyst

The thing is, the PS3 isn't overpriced; it's overengineered. Its debut price frankly should have been even higher than it was, and that's the whole problem: Sony has made a system that can't be sold profitably for an amount that people are willing to pay for a game console. Rather than scale the technology back to something that could sell for a price people would pay, they pulled an Icarus: they pushed the limits too far and got burned.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
TheTruthHurts! said:
$399 may seem a bit steep for economic situations in many regions. But with the inclusion of a blu-ray player in the PS3, I feel that the $399 is warranted considering what you are getting for your money. It's a great system.

Heck....if it wasn't for the competition the Wii, and 360 produced this Gen, Sony might still be charging $499 or $599 for the PS3. I consider Sony's initial woes and ego bitchslap, a blessing in disguise for many gamers, who might not have been able to afford a PS3 without past cuts!

My $39 pen is better than that $19 pen.... they do the same thing but mine comes with a coupon for 2 free haircuts at any hair saloon!!

great but i'm bald...

So? it's 2 free haircuts man!! it's a great deal, you get more than what you pay for, the price should be $59!!!

....ummmk

That, upthere, is what I read from your lines...except you could always resell the coupons... you can't detach the blue ray player...

The price is too high and BR is the reason (officially), people who don't want BR just see the price...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

The PS3 will be fine this winter. The most important thing for Sony right now is getting back the 3 billion dollars they have sunk into PS3. At the current install base they can make plenty back on games. A price drop right now will be way less effective than a cut in march. Right now people will pay the slightly high price, and a $50 cut will mean nothing. In March a cut of 50 - 100 dollars can make a much larger impact.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

HE IS ONLY TALKING ABOUT NA

(just to be sure everybody is realizing it)

I personnaly think, NA, is the only region where a price cut may be needed

""Keep dreaming there, Sony won't drop the price until after the holiday, they have been in the game long enough to know better than to take advice from some random fanboy. 15 million+ people bought the system at $600 - $400 price range and that says a lot. ""

==> so true loy310

Sony doesn't need casual right now, it only needs to focus on hardcore as it is a hardcore console with a hardcore line-up, with a

Time to Work !

with a ... hardcore price.

(sorry for double post)

Right now, PS3 is not at all casual.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

ps3 price is spot on, in fact the 399 ps3 was regulary selling more than the 360 untill recent price cut. for consumers that re in the know, they know what they are paying for and i belive it offers tremendous value for money. with amoungst the best games this fall ps3 is a very good purchase..................... but the economic climate might make it a bit different as ppl wont have that much cash 2 spend. i hope sony sticks to this price nd get through the holiday season and they will. then ging into 2009 they can think about a price cut once there unit base is 20mil plus

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

i want to point out that to people without the possibility of getting a hdtv, the b-ray player in the ps3 is meaning less, so that cant justify the price, i got i ps3 but it took me a year to get one, im happy with it but is just to expensive. now if it reaches $300 that could change things a lot. is like saying x console is in good price cus it comes wiht and astronaut helmet, only those that can get in a rocket can care.
i think the ps3 is a great machine but is still too expensive.

another thing is i think the 360 is going to get the dreamcast result if it keeps getting lower. Remember people sega tried to get more gamers by lowering the price, but in the eyes of people the low price was a sing of low value. Could that happen to the Xbox?

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

I think the guy is an idiot. The ps3 has been selling fine at this price all year and just because Microsoft out sold them for a month after a big price cut Sony is supposed to panic and lose another billion? I don't think so.

I have to say the PS3 even at $399.00 is selling well, the analyst can say all he wants but Sony seems to be doing just fine. I do feel a $299.00 PS3 would cause major problems for the 360 but dont see it happening.

If 360 holds it lead through 2009 that would be awesome for them since a new console will come out 2010-2011.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Hephaestos said:
TheTruthHurts! said:
$399 may seem a bit steep for economic situations in many regions. But with the inclusion of a blu-ray player in the PS3, I feel that the $399 is warranted considering what you are getting for your money. It's a great system.

Heck....if it wasn't for the competition the Wii, and 360 produced this Gen, Sony might still be charging $499 or $599 for the PS3. I consider Sony's initial woes and ego bitchslap, a blessing in disguise for many gamers, who might not have been able to afford a PS3 without past cuts!

My $39 pen is better than that $19 pen.... they do the same thing but mine comes with a coupon for 2 free haircuts at any hair saloon!!

great but i'm bald...

So? it's 2 free haircuts man!! it's a great deal, you get more than what you pay for, the price should be $59!!!

....ummmk

That, upthere, is what I read from your lines...except you could always resell the coupons... you can't detach the blue ray player...

The price is too high and BR is the reason (officially), people who don't want BR just see the price...

LOL this is good shit

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.